C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 Opti Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 04:50 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1993 Opti Question

I recently replaced the waterpump and opti spark in my 1993 Corvette convertible. When I installed the opti I got it to set flush and it appeared to be installed correct. All wires are in the correct spot. The car will not start. Is is possible that the opti can sit flush but be in the wrong position on a 1993?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:26 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts

I have a 96 and I know that you can not get it to sit flush unless installed correctly. What brand opti?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I believe (may be incorrect) but on the earlier gen opti the key is not so much getting it to sit flush as the point that you must be able to place it in with "no force" .... if you have to force it to go in it is not correctly aligned.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:55 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I believe (may be incorrect) but on the earlier gen opti the key is not so much getting it to sit flush as the point that you must be able to place it in with "no force" .... if you have to force it to go in it is not correctly aligned.
It was placed by hand with no force. I lined up the key. It sat flush then I put the bolts on.

I just wanted to make sure there was only one way that it could go in. I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to.

MSD opti-spark distributor as replacement.

Driving me nuts why it won't start. It turns over. All wiring is correct and I have verified it a few times.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:36 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986coupe
It was placed by hand with no force. I lined up the key. It sat flush then I put the bolts on.

I just wanted to make sure there was only one way that it could go in. I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to.

Driving me nuts why it won't start. It turns over. All wiring is correct and I have verified it a few times.
you may want to take a good look at the ICM harness, on my 93 I had some broken stands. after putting in 3+ Opti's in a month on the last one started the car for 2 Second test it ran Assembled rest of the way. While waiting for full temp. of coolant for top off I was neatening the Harnesses I jiggled the ICM harness car died. had someone crank while I moved wire car started. Spliced in ICM plug all is well now.

I know this is NOT what you want to hear but New Opti's don't always work, So if your old one worked before removal take out the MSD out one drop in the old one Bolt it on wire it up turn the key for a 2 second a test run. if it runs return the MSD get a replacement or keep old one.

Last edited by s carter; 09-23-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:50 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s carter
you may want to take a good look at the ICM harness, on my 93 I had some broken stands. after putting in 3+ Opti's in a month on the last one started the car for 2 Second test it ran Assembled rest of the way. While waiting for full temp. of coolant for top off I was neatening the Harnesses I jiggled the ICM harness car died. had someone crank while I moved wire car started. Spliced in ICM plug all is well now.

I know this is NOT what you want to hear but New Opti's don't always work, So if your old one worked before removal take out the MSD out one drop in the old one Bolt it on wire it up turn the key for a 2 second a test run. if it runs return the MSD get a replacement or keep old one.
The old one was toast.
I suppose I will verity that I am getting spark all along the path.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

The earlier spline drive cars 92/93 do have a key on the shaft. you would have to beat it on to get it out of alignment.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by belairbrian
The earlier spline drive cars 92/93 do have a key on the shaft. you would have to beat it on to get it out of alignment.
I thought so. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't somehow on in a position, say 180 degrees off. Everything went on perfect. It turns over. I can smell unburnt fuel out of the exhaust.

I will look everything over again when I get a chance.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

I recently replaced the waterpump and opti spark in my 1993 Corvette convertible. When I installed the opti I got it to set flush and it appeared to be installed correct. All wires are in the correct spot. The car will not start. Is is possible that the opti can sit flush but be in the wrong position on a 1993?
did you use an oem optispark or a $69 ebay made in china special?
Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

All information above is correct.

Before you rip the opti off, check for spark and see if it is there. If it is there, you may have the shaft out of alignment.

If no spark, then you need to check for the 1-4 VAC drive from the ECM to the ICM.

Make sure you connected the temperature sensor in the water pump. If not connected or working properly it will make the mixture go real rich.
Also look at your digital temperature gauge on the speedometer and see what it reads. If it looks correct, then you probably are OK with that.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
did you use an oem optispark or a $69 ebay made in china special?
If you can get a scan tool with data stream function, you can easily crank the engine and see if you have low res/hi res signals.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Did you match the marks on the harmonic balancer ? It must be placed on the same posdition as taken off. There are paint marks on it.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:22 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

I hate to say it but the HIGH DOLLOR one you just brought might be bad .. Double check everything and if you think its all good ,this happen to me years back BAD OPITI and was new .. It happens .. Yes the OPITI harness needs to be replaced first thing I would do ,they are fiber optic and can break on the inside . If going to be a Corvette guy ,this crap happens not all the time but dose happen way too often ,welcome to my world been working on these sweet rides ( NOT ) for over well scene 1965 and have only been in the nut house two time or is it 3-times ..LOL
Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

The wire from the opti to the connector on the paassenger side cover did you verify pin connectors. The Delco i used on my 93 did not match so i cut the shrink tubing off the opti end and taped and marine RTV the end using the oem . Started up no problem. PM the Opti Doctor if you need rebuilding of your original unit which i highly recoment he can be found on this Forum. Any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Did you match the marks on the harmonic balancer ? It must be placed on the same posdition as taken off. There are paint marks on it.
The damper only goes on one way. And even if you could put it on the wrong way, it wouldn't cause a no-start. You could start the car with no damper on there.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 Opti Question

Quick Reply: 1993 Opti Question