C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Broken egr temp switch/ running bad/ flooding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Brockdel18
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken egr temp switch/ running bad/ flooding?

Hi everyone, I am working on a 86 corvette convertible for my grandfather, but one day I pulled it out of the garage and let it run while I was getting something out of the house, and when I put it in reverse, it didn’t want to run but I would run in park. After about a min of it running and shutting off and on. It died and wouldn’t start. I put in a new coil and it ran better but the plugs were fouled from the coil going bad. I replaced the plugs and it would barely run or move. I followed a forum and found the egr temp switch is bad. It threads into a egr pipe that runs by the passenger valve cover. Do I bought a egr temp switch and went to put it in and the old one broke off in the pipe. I hope that the egr temp switch was the culprit, now I have to buy a new pipe too. It acts like it’s flooding really bad. If I give it gas it dies. Any thoughts of that’s the problem? Is there anyway I could just take the pipe off and be able to drive it back to where it will be stored over the winter. It’s broke down in my garage and I need it gone to store my car.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:10 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

I agree. Sounds more like a bad fuel pressure regulator or injector stuck open. Does the oil smell of fuel?
Old 10-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Brockdel18
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I will check these tommorow, the oil did have a slight smell of fuel, which I wasn’t too concerned about. At one point I thought I though the coil went bad(turned out to be another problem) any way I swapped it with one on my shelf. I had that coil in there when it started acting up and then quit running all together, I switched the coil back to the other one, it fired up but ran bad because the plus were fouled, but it ran. I parked it in the garage and then changed them, now it will barley run( about 2 weeks after coil incident). So idk. -
another note to add- When I first drive the car it ran bad for like 3 weeks, I thought it was the coil, but here a injector plug was loose/ unplugged from passenger forward most injector on rail. I plugged it in and it ran beautiful for The weekend and then on Monday, it acted up as described. Sorry for the long post but I have been chasing problems left and right with this car and a lot is involved. I want to light it on fire and roast marshmallows on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken egr temp switch/ running bad/ flooding?

Quick Reply: Broken egr temp switch/ running bad/ flooding?