C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Rotors

Has anyone ever had their brake rotors ground as opposed to machine cut. Thanks, Dan
Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Has anyone ever had their brake rotors ground as opposed to machine cut. Thanks, Dan
Help me to understand the difference? I just had my front rotors "turned" (that's what they say in Texas anyway...) at the machine shop as I was getting a bit of a throb or pulse on braking. Now, they are smooth and even with no pulsing.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

http://www.dcm-tech.com/automotive-r...otor-grinders/
Old 10-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I'd say that the end result is about the same; a flat, machined surface on a rotor with less material than you began with.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:12 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

That machine is based on the same design thought as a Blanchard grinder. Blanchards grind metal extremely parallel. The specs on those machines says They do both sides in 1 setup. As long as the surface that goes up against the spindle/bearing face, ie: the mounting face for the rotor, you cannot get both sides as parallel with a single point tool as you can with a horizontal wheel.

Are you picking fly crap out of the peppar ? Probably, most folks won't notice the difference and there is enough slop in the OEM caliper design that C4's use to accommodate machining tolerances.

Those machines would really shine when resurfacing rotors for fixed caliper, multi-piston setups. It is really important with fixed caliper setups to have the sides as parallel and free from runout and machining error for optimum braking. I shimmed the rotors on the '65 I had to .001 TIR (total indicator reading) (I was used to working to +.0000 -.0002 tolerances or better). The brakes would haul that car down from 100 like I threw out an anchor. The ones on my '96, even though I completely rebuilt them, have no comparison in feel as those brakes did. I guess that is why the high end (Brembo, etc) use a fixed caliper, multi-piston design.

I worked with all kinds of grinders when I was younger. Surface, Blanchard, ID-OD grinders, tool grinders, I ran them all. These are not as precision as an ID-OD grinder, but they are good enough !!

Here is a vid of them in action.

The following users liked this post:
JimLentz (10-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Rotors

Quick Reply: Rotors