Are there any good decently priced optispark distributors? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Are there any good decently priced optispark distributors?

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are there any good decently priced optispark distributors?

Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 AM
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member

Default Are there any good decently priced optispark distributors?

Just like the thread title says, are there any good decently priced optispark distributors? If so who makes them and what is the cost? I really don't want to spend 500 dollars or more for a top of the line optispark, I just want one that is decent in quality and price. I need the vented style optispark distributor. Any suggestions/recommdations?
Old 10-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

I got the one from SAC CITY for ~$165, IIRC. Is it any good? IDK, but it's been working just great for, I think, about 2 years now.

My recommendation is this:
If you don't mind wrenching, buy the cheapest unit with the BEST warranty.
If you can't wrench, find a NOS unit w/the Mitsubishi optical unit.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-08-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:00 AM
don hall
CF Senior Member

SACCITYCORVETTES - http://www.saccitycorvette.com

Not sure why members suggest the Mitsubishi optical unit. That technology is 26 years old, Yes, it was the best in 1992+,
but this is 2018. If that unit is still the best on the market, that is a new world record for component longevity.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:10 AM
2LZ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by don hall View Post

If that unit is still the best on the market, that is a new world record for component longevity.
Let's hope so. I bought the AIP unit from Sac City, then cleaned my stock Mitsu sensor and swapped it into the new opti. It's run great for a year. If it fails, I have the AIP sensor in back stock.
I'm not up on the reliability history of the AIP sensor (they advertise it's better than the Mitsubishi sensor) but it seems the general consensus is that the Mitsu unit is the key to a lasting opti.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM
pacoW
CF Senior Member

Not sure why members suggest the Mitsubishi optical unit. That technology is 26 years old, Yes, it was the best in 1992+,
but this is 2018. If that unit is still the best on the market, that is a new world record for component longevity.

+2, installed one from SAC City a year ago, no problems. And I got a year left on the warranty.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 PM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

It's not as if we can't produce a better sensor in 2018. It's just that nobody who can make good ones is willing to make them for cars that are more than 20 years old, because there just isn't a big market for them. The AIP version may be the one exception. The others are all made-in-China crap that simply doesn't last. This isn't unique to opti sensors, either. It's a real problem with C4 parts including wheel bearings, throwout bearings, clutch pressure plates, and probably some other electronics such as coils and ICMs.
The Following User Says Thank You to MatthewMiller For This Useful Post:
don hall (10-08-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Renfield
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
Just like the thread title says, are there any good decently priced optispark distributors? If so who makes them and what is the cost? I really don't want to spend 500 dollars or more for a top of the line optispark, I just want one that is decent in quality and price. I need the vented style optispark distributor. Any suggestions/recommdations?
Wait, what? A C4 thread about the Optispark?!? That almost never happens - more than three times per hour.

Yes. No. Maybe. They are all a crapshoot.

Here's Here's
the one I installed after wasting $350 on a Petris Optispark that lasted less than 2 years. Same AIP unit that Sac City sells, minus the $60 2 year warranty. At 60 percent over the price of new, the warranty is not worth it IMO.

If it fails due to the sensor, I have two Mitsubishi sensors at the ready.

Once you get that damn Harmonic Balancer off and apply anti-seize, future replacement operations are relatively simple. Easier than plugs and wires.

Cue fans of the Optidoc...

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: