C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are there any good decently priced optispark distributors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Are there any good decently priced optispark distributors?

Just like the thread title says, are there any good decently priced optispark distributors? If so who makes them and what is the cost? I really don't want to spend 500 dollars or more for a top of the line optispark, I just want one that is decent in quality and price. I need the vented style optispark distributor. Any suggestions/recommdations?
Old 10-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I got the one from SAC CITY for ~$165, IIRC. Is it any good? IDK, but it's been working just great for, I think, about 2 years now.

My recommendation is this:
If you don't mind wrenching, buy the cheapest unit with the BEST warranty.
If you can't wrench, find a NOS unit w/the Mitsubishi optical unit.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-08-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:00 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

SACCITYCORVETTES - http://www.saccitycorvette.com

Not sure why members suggest the Mitsubishi optical unit. That technology is 26 years old, Yes, it was the best in 1992+,
but this is 2018. If that unit is still the best on the market, that is a new world record for component longevity.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:10 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by don hall

If that unit is still the best on the market, that is a new world record for component longevity.
Let's hope so. I bought the AIP unit from Sac City, then cleaned my stock Mitsu sensor and swapped it into the new opti. It's run great for a year. If it fails, I have the AIP sensor in back stock.
I'm not up on the reliability history of the AIP sensor (they advertise it's better than the Mitsubishi sensor) but it seems the general consensus is that the Mitsu unit is the key to a lasting opti.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Not sure why members suggest the Mitsubishi optical unit. That technology is 26 years old, Yes, it was the best in 1992+,
but this is 2018. If that unit is still the best on the market, that is a new world record for component longevity.

+2, installed one from SAC City a year ago, no problems. And I got a year left on the warranty.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

It's not as if we can't produce a better sensor in 2018. It's just that nobody who can make good ones is willing to make them for cars that are more than 20 years old, because there just isn't a big market for them. The AIP version may be the one exception. The others are all made-in-China crap that simply doesn't last. This isn't unique to opti sensors, either. It's a real problem with C4 parts including wheel bearings, throwout bearings, clutch pressure plates, and probably some other electronics such as coils and ICMs.
The following users liked this post:
don hall (10-08-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
Just like the thread title says, are there any good decently priced optispark distributors? If so who makes them and what is the cost? I really don't want to spend 500 dollars or more for a top of the line optispark, I just want one that is decent in quality and price. I need the vented style optispark distributor. Any suggestions/recommdations?
Wait, what? A C4 thread about the Optispark?!? That almost never happens - more than three times per hour.

Yes. No. Maybe. They are all a crapshoot.

Here's Here's
the one I installed after wasting $350 on a Petris Optispark that lasted less than 2 years. Same AIP unit that Sac City sells, minus the $60 2 year warranty. At 60 percent over the price of new, the warranty is not worth it IMO.

If it fails due to the sensor, I have two Mitsubishi sensors at the ready.

Once you get that damn Harmonic Balancer off and apply anti-seize, future replacement operations are relatively simple. Easier than plugs and wires.

Cue fans of the Optidoc...

Get notified of new replies

To Are there any good decently priced optispark distributors?

Quick Reply: Are there any good decently priced optispark distributors?