C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 A/C repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:58 PM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 96 A/C repair

A friend has been offered a 96 CE coupe with air conditioning problems. The owner indicated the compressor clutch started smoking and burned up. Is it possible to confirm that it is just a clutch replacement and not more involved? We are in Florida, so no a/c is not an option. Any ideas on the cost of this type of repair?
Thanks
Old 10-06-2018, 10:04 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Start here. Run a diagnostic on your system before you put any money into solutions.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by My12thVette
A friend has been offered a 96 CE coupe with air conditioning problems. The owner indicated the compressor clutch started smoking and burned up. Is it possible to confirm that it is just a clutch replacement and not more involved? We are in Florida, so no a/c is not an option. Any ideas on the cost of this type of repair?
Thanks
Not sure. IF it were so cheap and easy, maybe let the owner fix it before selling. Either that or I assume I have to replace everything in the system and price accordingly. I do NOT believe in you telling me it is a $500 repair only to find out there are other issues that make it a $5000 repair after money changes hands.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:14 PM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The prior owner is deceased, widow is selling car. I have been around long enough to know if this is a BS scam, it's not. Car is very clean, good miles. She said there was smoke coming from the ac compressor. My friend has never owned a Vette and loves C4s. I am just trying to ask for help before he enters a money pit.
Thank you.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Either way I'd go with a PDI just to know if it is going to be a money pit or not. His call.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:32 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

There are 2 initial things I would do.
Try to turn the compressor center shaft by hand and see if it moves freely 360degrees +.
If it turns and is not locked up, I would then try to engage the AC and see what the clutch does. IE, does it try to engage, make a noise, smoke etc and go from there.

The clutch can be replaced without removing the compressor or pipes.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pcolt94
There are 2 initial things I would do.
Try to turn the compressor center shaft by hand and see if it moves freely 360degrees +.
If it turns and is not locked up, I would then try to engage the AC and see what the clutch does. IE, does it try to engage, make a noise, smoke etc and go from there.

The clutch can be replaced without removing the compressor or pipes.
That is an incomplete test. My compressor turns freely. It just crapped metal all over the system. AC is a beautiful thing until it doesn't work then it can get ugly quickly.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:23 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

You might get lucky, but odds are the compressor is toast.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:22 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
That is an incomplete test. My compressor turns freely. It just crapped metal all over the system. AC is a beautiful thing until it doesn't work then it can get ugly quickly.
I only said they were initial tests, I didn't say stop there. You have to start at some point with the simple items. Things can always go in any direction as you check it out but you don't know till you get started.

I have done 2 clutches and the compressors were fine. My clutch on my corvette is getting tired and holding out as long as I can.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I only said they were initial tests, I didn't say stop there. You have to start at some point with the simple items. Things can always go in any direction as you check it out but you don't know till you get started.

I have done 2 clutches and the compressors were fine. My clutch on my corvette is getting tired and holding out as long as I can.
Fair enough. I'd still get a mechanic to check it out for the sake of the future.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:43 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by My12thVette
Thanks
This happen on my 96, clutch went MIA...scared the living daylights out of me, because when it did happen smoked poured from under the hood! Got to a parking lot, popped the hood and saw the clutch smoking...I remember that this was rather common at the time as others were have the same issue on the forum here.

I Unplugged the clutch and drove home. It was easy enough to repair, but get yourself a decent pair of snap ring pliers. I replaced mine maybe 5-8 years ago, been fine since, think at the time I spent $200 for a replacement clutch. Compressor was fine, it didn't cause any issue with it.

Last edited by bac22; 10-08-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:42 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bac22
This happen on my 96, clutch went MIA...scared the living daylights out of me, because when it did happen smoked poured from under the hood! Got to a parking lot, popped the hood and saw the clutch smoking...I remember that this was rather common at the time as others were have the same issue on the forum here.

I Unplugged the clutch and drove home. It was easy enough to repair, but get yourself a decent pair of snap ring pliers. I replaced mine maybe 5-8 years ago, been fine since, think at the time I spent $200 for a replacement clutch. Compressor was fine, it didn't cause any issue with it.
Are you the one who replaced the clutch and wrote it up not to long ago? I thought I saved the thread but can't find it now, perhaps I miss-filed it. But it basically said it could be done on the car with some information and pointers on how it was done.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:01 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Are you the one who replaced the clutch and wrote it up not to long ago? I thought I saved the thread but can't find it now, perhaps I miss-filed it. But it basically said it could be done on the car with some information and pointers on how it was done.
https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...ool/472357_0_0

Might that work?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
I have no idea if this tool was used. But the thread talked about the shims and how he had to use a deep pair of snap ring pliers.

But the most amazing part was he was able to get the clutch off the shaft past the pipes. I thought it would be to impossible to get by but he showed it could be done.
Then you don't have to evacuate the system and recharge.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I have no idea if this tool was used. But the thread talked about the shims and how he had to use a deep pair of snap ring pliers.

But the most amazing part was he was able to get the clutch off the shaft past the pipes. I thought it would be to impossible to get by but he showed it could be done.
Then you don't have to evacuate the system and recharge.
My problem is that you now own a clutch and if the compressor is going out, would you be able to buy the compressor only and transfer it? Some seem to be able to do it but others sell it as a unit. My compressor was not cooling like it should. Testing shows very high pressures indicating a blockage. If you turn it by hand the shaft turns good. Not sure if you can check compressor function without the clutch engaged or not. Can you?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:22 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

New Denso Compressor w clutch at Rock Auto $354
Old 10-09-2018, 01:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cdm747
New Denso Compressor w clutch at Rock Auto $354
Autozone has it for 581 but that is everything you need including O-rings and oil and receiver dryer for lifetime warranty and if you are buying it at the right time a 10 to 20 percent discount

Edit: If this is a "new to me" car, NFW would I want to do the clutch. I'd figure on replacing everything and pricing it as such. OTOH, if I know the history and can be very certain it is only the clutch, maybe I would do it without draining the system.

Last edited by aklim; 10-09-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:50 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

This might be the post that Pcolt94 was speaking of That I had done a few months back with him. One thing I did Learn after posting this and from the posting that the people that I had gotten the Coil/Clutch from Rock Auto seemed to have a Closer to OEM grade Part with a Factory plug and the clearance hole. The 4 Seasons I got Plain Striped Wire and a Spice of factory plug.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-service.html

Last edited by s carter; 10-09-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:25 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Here's the issue; assume the worst, compressor failed, clutch seized, shrapnel got shot into the condenser and into the receiver / dryer where an internal filter "should" have stopped the debris, and a new expansion valve. get a price from a reputable shop; that reflects flushing the system, replacing all these components and refilling the system. Then decide whether or not the price of the car justifies (possibly) putting that much money into it. For an exceptionally clean 96, it probably will. If it turns out that the compressor didn't grenade and it's just a clutch the price of repairs will be much lower.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 A/C repair

Quick Reply: 96 A/C repair