Oil drip from bottom of flywheel cover on ZF6 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil drip from bottom of flywheel cover on ZF6

Old 10-11-2018, 07:14 PM
BatmobileLT4

Default Oil drip from bottom of flywheel cover on ZF6

Hi all, so I have a question for anyone with the ZF6 trans. I have a 1996 LT4. I went under the car the other day to find an oil leak (which happened to be coming from my filter adapter. the adapter gasket along with the oil pan gasket were replaced early in March but oil seems to be coming from there. Almost looks like "the bolts are leaking" for lack of a better way to put it) I noticed that the bottom of the flywheel cover seems to drip trans oil. I wipe off the forming drop and I can see some more oil slowly come to take its place. Im aware that some cars have weep holes but does the ZF6 trans have a weephole on the flywheel cover? Not sure how that was caused but thats part of the reason why there is a stain on my driveway. I recently changed the trans fluid with AMSOIL Snychromesh as its the only manufacturer who sells the product specific to the part number recommended by GM. Anyways just want to know if anyone has or has had a similar experience. It makes quite a mess with my leaky drain plug (which also had a replaced gasket) after sometime. Any advice or tips to help prevent those leaks is greatly appreciated. I have seen older posts about the filter leaking "from the bolts". Someone mentioned just putting a washer under the adapter bolts and others said a "thicker" gasket. Not sure which one is the "thicker" variant. Either way if you have done this and it worked for you and feel like sharing its greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 PM
RUU
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BatmobileLT4 View Post
I noticed that the bottom of the flywheel cover seems to drip trans oil. I wipe off the forming drop and I can see some more oil slowly come to take its place. Im aware that some cars have weep holes but does the ZF6 trans have a weephole on the flywheel cover? Not sure how that was caused but thats part of the reason why there is a stain on my driveway. I recently changed the trans fluid with AMSOIL Snychromesh as its the only manufacturer who sells the product specific to the part number recommended by GM.
Are you sure it's transmission oil and not engine oil coming from the main seal or above from the intake manifold?

Originally Posted by BatmobileLT4 View Post
I have seen older posts about the filter leaking "from the bolts". Someone mentioned just putting a washer under the adapter bolts and others said a "thicker" gasket. Not sure which one is the "thicker" variant. Either way if you have done this and it worked for you and feel like sharing its greatly appreciated. Thank you
I probably saw those same posts prior to doing my filter adapter bolts - I believe I read the bolts bottom out because the new gaskets are thinner than the originals. Because of that, I put thin washers in place to ensure the bolts could go in all the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to RUU For This Useful Post:
BatmobileLT4 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM
WhiteC1
CF Senior Member

Take a close look at the rear of the intake manifold where it meets the block. You can see it best from the driver side. This is a common place for oil to leak on older LT1s (namely all of them). I just did this repair on mine, not too difficult. The oil was actually puddling up on the rear shelf of the block, behind the intake (where the block part numbers are). Because of our dear friend gravity, the oil ends up on the oil filter adapter, inspection cover, headers, etc. Let us know what you find.

Regards,
John
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteC1 For This Useful Post:
BatmobileLT4 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 08:16 PM
BatmobileLT4

Yes its transmission oil because its coming out of the bottom of the flywheel cover. Not sure if the previous owner nicked it or what or if its a weephole of sorts. When I have gone under the car i do some cleaning usually and when i wipe the bottom of the flywheel cover a little bit of oil starts to form again where i wiped it off. Im assuming thats not a weephole and more like a crack of some sort. Im the 3rd owner of this car and Ive done alot but I never understood why the trans cover dripped periodically.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:20 PM
BatmobileLT4

I have heard about the oil sensor at the back of the block leak when it goes out. I did the intake manifold gasket a couple months ago and even now I have a pretty god view of that sensor. Its not leaking and neither is the intake manifold. I was a bit conservative it on the RTV because i didnt want huge globs spilling out the sides of the manifold but its hasnt leaked since. Still have regrets for not changing that sensor when everything was exposed. Kind of a tight fit if I tackle it now. Thanks alot guys I will continue to keep an eye out and also will install a washer under each bolt on the filter adapter.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:23 PM
BatmobileLT4

By the way, RUU, what size or thickness washer did you use exactly? If you can recall.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: