C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Someone forgot to reconnect a hose? LT1 coolant system

Old 11-02-2018, 05:13 PM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Someone forgot to reconnect a hose? LT1 coolant system

Trying to work on the car I came across this. See that Tee fitting there? Now I know why there was a puddle where I parked and why the brace between framerail and A-pillar was rusty. But I have no clue what to do about this connector. The hose that is connected seems to go to the radiator. Now the other end... I just can't find anywhere to connect it to.​​​​​

would love to see pictures of what the coolant system should look like for an LT1. Really need to figure this out...

Last edited by PerKr; 11-02-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:44 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

That actually looks like the tee in a later LT1 for secondary AIR. Cars with the TEE just had a filter over that 'nipple' I'm quite sure.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-02-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:14 AM
PerKr
Racer

Interesting... Then it not being connected wouldn't be a big deal, so that's a good thing. But that does make me wonder what caused the rusting in this area and where those puddles came from...
Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PerKr
Interesting... Then it not being connected wouldn't be a big deal, so that's a good thing. But that does make me wonder what caused the rusting in this area and where those puddles came from...
Is the balance of the Secondary AIR there? I only offered up what I thought it to be. You need to confirm. What year is your car? A 'big deal' that depends I guess - but if it is Secondary AIR it's got no relationship to 'coolant' as you mentioned thinking.

Do you have the FSM for your car?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:24 AM
PerKr
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Is the balance of the Secondary AIR there? I only offered up what I thought it to be. You need to confirm. What year is your car? A 'big deal' that depends I guess - but if it is Secondary AIR it's got no relationship to 'coolant' as you mentioned thinking.

Do you have the FSM for your car?
The car is a 1994. It's garaged now and I won't be able to have a look until after the weekend unfortunately. As soon as I can I will though. If it is the AIR the front end of the hose should be connected to an air pump, right?

I have the Haynes manual but it seems to consistently lack the information I need when I get stuck 🙂
Old 11-05-2018, 02:57 PM
PerKr
Racer

It was the AIR. Which means I haven't driven her 200 miles without coolant. Which is sort of a relief. Still need to deal with it though, if possible.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:18 PM
PerKr
Racer

It was the AIR. Which means I haven't driven her 200 miles without coolant. Which is sort of a relief. Still need to deal with it though, if possible.
I'm thinking someone removed the system. Partially. It should connect to the exhaust manifolds on either side, right? At the middle tubes? Well, someone plugged what looks to have been threaded holes there. So I'm going to leave that for now and focus on the other issues this car has.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I'm thinking someone removed the system. Partially. It should connect to the exhaust manifolds on either side, right? At the middle tubes? Well, someone plugged what looks to have been threaded holes there. So I'm going to leave that for now and focus on the other issues this car has.
I had seen in your original snapshot what appeared to be likely a 'plug' in the manifold but I thought it maybe better to just point you towards how it should have been if original.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:58 AM
PerKr
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I had seen in your original snapshot what appeared to be likely a 'plug' in the manifold but I thought it maybe better to just point you towards how it should have been if original.
Good thinking. Thank you for helping out.

Get notified of new replies

To Someone forgot to reconnect a hose? LT1 coolant system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone forgot to reconnect a hose? LT1 coolant system