Someone forgot to reconnect a hose? LT1 coolant system - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Someone forgot to reconnect a hose? LT1 coolant system

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Someone forgot to reconnect a hose? LT1 coolant system

Old 11-02-2018, 06:13 PM
  #1  
PerKr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Posts: 107
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default Someone forgot to reconnect a hose? LT1 coolant system

Trying to work on the car I came across this. See that Tee fitting there? Now I know why there was a puddle where I parked and why the brace between framerail and A-pillar was rusty. But I have no clue what to do about this connector. The hose that is connected seems to go to the radiator. Now the other end... I just can't find anywhere to connect it to.​​​​​

would love to see pictures of what the coolant system should look like for an LT1. Really need to figure this out...

Last edited by PerKr; 11-02-2018 at 06:13 PM.
PerKr is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 09:44 PM
  #2  
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Charles Town WV
Posts: 17,281
Thanked 966 Times in 927 Posts
Default

That actually looks like the tee in a later LT1 for secondary AIR. Cars with the TEE just had a filter over that 'nipple' I'm quite sure.




Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-02-2018 at 09:48 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline  
Old 11-03-2018, 10:14 AM
  #3  
PerKr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Posts: 107
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Interesting... Then it not being connected wouldn't be a big deal, so that's a good thing. But that does make me wonder what caused the rusting in this area and where those puddles came from...
PerKr is offline  
Old 11-03-2018, 10:40 AM
  #4  
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Charles Town WV
Posts: 17,281
Thanked 966 Times in 927 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PerKr View Post
Interesting... Then it not being connected wouldn't be a big deal, so that's a good thing. But that does make me wonder what caused the rusting in this area and where those puddles came from...
Is the balance of the Secondary AIR there? I only offered up what I thought it to be. You need to confirm. What year is your car? A 'big deal' that depends I guess - but if it is Secondary AIR it's got no relationship to 'coolant' as you mentioned thinking.

Do you have the FSM for your car?
WVZR-1 is offline  
Old 11-03-2018, 12:24 PM
  #5  
PerKr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Posts: 107
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Is the balance of the Secondary AIR there? I only offered up what I thought it to be. You need to confirm. What year is your car? A 'big deal' that depends I guess - but if it is Secondary AIR it's got no relationship to 'coolant' as you mentioned thinking.

Do you have the FSM for your car?
The car is a 1994. It's garaged now and I won't be able to have a look until after the weekend unfortunately. As soon as I can I will though. If it is the AIR the front end of the hose should be connected to an air pump, right?

I have the Haynes manual but it seems to consistently lack the information I need when I get stuck 🙂
PerKr is offline  
Old 11-05-2018, 03:57 PM
  #6  
PerKr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Posts: 107
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

It was the AIR. Which means I haven't driven her 200 miles without coolant. Which is sort of a relief. Still need to deal with it though, if possible.
PerKr is offline  
Old 11-05-2018, 04:18 PM
  #7  
PerKr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Posts: 107
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PerKr View Post
It was the AIR. Which means I haven't driven her 200 miles without coolant. Which is sort of a relief. Still need to deal with it though, if possible.
I'm thinking someone removed the system. Partially. It should connect to the exhaust manifolds on either side, right? At the middle tubes? Well, someone plugged what looks to have been threaded holes there. So I'm going to leave that for now and focus on the other issues this car has.
PerKr is offline  
Old 11-06-2018, 05:06 AM
  #8  
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Charles Town WV
Posts: 17,281
Thanked 966 Times in 927 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PerKr View Post
I'm thinking someone removed the system. Partially. It should connect to the exhaust manifolds on either side, right? At the middle tubes? Well, someone plugged what looks to have been threaded holes there. So I'm going to leave that for now and focus on the other issues this car has.
I had seen in your original snapshot what appeared to be likely a 'plug' in the manifold but I thought it maybe better to just point you towards how it should have been if original.
WVZR-1 is offline  
Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 AM
  #9  
PerKr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Posts: 107
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I had seen in your original snapshot what appeared to be likely a 'plug' in the manifold but I thought it maybe better to just point you towards how it should have been if original.
Good thinking. Thank you for helping out.
PerKr is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: