C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stock LT1 cam options

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:50 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
I don't want to rip the heads off. It's a driver, not a race car. I'd just like it to hang with C5's.

I was gonna sell the car and get a stock C6, but now that I have the ZF6 and Dana44 I just wanna do some basic mods.
I get that. If you're willing to live with a mild lope then the hot cam and 1.6 rockers would give you want, I believe. I don't think that would do all the surging and bogging you're talking about. It's still mild - it just won't idle like stock anymore. OTOH, you could bump the idle 100-200rpm and probably not be able to tell the difference from stock. FWIW, a stock LT4 was pretty equal in power to an LS1, and I think the hot cam kit on stock LT1 heads would get you to that amount of power or maybe slightly more. So your goal is in reach if you don't actually need a completely stock-sounding idle.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 11-06-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:25 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I dont see 350 at the tires with just the cam, youll need more. You could always leave the small valves, a moderate port job and let the #s be what it may. That cam be done without much damage to the wallet or time if you DIY. Would have to pull out a file of flowsheets I dont recall stock LT1 heads anywhere near 220 but its been awhile.
If I pull the heads off, I'll end up buying AFR heads, and then it just spirals out of control from there.

Then it's like, might as well re-ring it, oh the bore is out of round, might as well bore it. Next thing I know it's a race car.

-- Joe
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
I get that. If you're willing to live with a mild lope then the hot cam and 1.6 rockers would give you want, I believe. I don't think that would do all the surging and bogging you're talking about. It's still mild - it just won't idle like stock anymore. OTOH, you could bump the idle 100-200rpm and probably not be able to tell the difference from stock. FWIW, a stock LT4 was pretty equal in power to an LS1, and I think the hot cam kit on stock LT1 heads would get you to that amount of power or maybe slightly more. So your goal is in reach if you don't actually need a completely stock-sounding idle.
Yeah, I just don't want like 9" of vac at idle. I ran the ZF6 with a cc-306 cam about 10 years ago, and it was picky at low rpm lol.

True, I could just do an 800rpm target idle to get some vac back at idle and smooth out the cam.

I also need to figure out where the damn oil leak is. The whole front of the block is covered in oil. I did the intake last year, it's not that. I sprayed about 12 cans of break cleaner on the front of the block when I did the water pump + opti, and it's all wet again.

-- Joe
Old 11-08-2018, 09:57 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 255 Likes on 213 Posts

Have you seen this thread? Custom Lunati cam which appears to combine the Bootlegger intake lobe with a milder exhaust lobe on 110 lsa IIRC.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-results.html
Old 11-08-2018, 10:41 AM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you considered the cc503 in your LT1? That's what I have in my MR L98 and it makes the power you're looking for. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable but trying to find a 50+ hp cam for an otherwise stock engine without changing idle quality?.... C'mon man.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:44 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thurman_merman
Have you considered the cc503 in your LT1? That's what I have in my MR L98 and it makes the power you're looking for. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable but trying to find a 50+ hp cam for an otherwise stock engine without changing idle quality?.... C'mon man.
I used to run comp503 on sportsman II heads back in the 90s. That cam wasn't too bad.

-- Joe
Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
Have you seen this thread? Custom Lunati cam which appears to combine the Bootlegger intake lobe with a milder exhaust lobe on 110 lsa IIRC.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-results.html
Interesting read. Basically what I'm doing, but I'm leaving the resonator on. Just cat delete. Gutted box, K&N, etc.

-- Joe

Quick Reply: Stock LT1 cam options