C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR Block-off plates question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Default EGR Block-off plates question

I keep seeing EGR block-off plate kits for sale but have a question: Aren't three plates required to complete the job?

1. One plate for the exhaust port on the exhaust manifold.
  2. One plate for the exhaust port on the intake manifold.
  3. One plate for the EGR valve port in the intake manifold.

These kits only provide two plates. What am I misunderstanding about doing an EGR block-off???

Last edited by LWesthaver; 11-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:57 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If you have a LT-1 this should work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGR-Block-O...5.c10#viTabs_0
Old 11-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

One plate on the exhaust pipe and one plate where the EGR valve was is all you must have. The 3rd blank off is a dress up piece not really needed for function.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:09 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

So you just leave the port on the intake manifold open?
Old 11-11-2018, 09:45 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes. That hole in the intake can be left open. It only connects the exhaust tube to the EGR valve. With the EGR blank-off installed nothing will leak. I cut out a small aluminum plate to cover mine but its not required.

Last edited by Benny42; 11-11-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Mity2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What would blocking EGR do
Old 11-21-2018, 07:39 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It stops the exhaust from coming back into your intake. It also can cause problems with the ECU throwing an error, or not throwing an error and then modifying the AF mixture in cruise mode, which can cause a lean condition. When I rebuilt my 85, I saw the black oily soot coating the inside of the intake and blocked mine off. I also reprogrammed the ECU to disable the EGR system, so the AF mixture is never modified, and no codes.
The following users liked this post:
RedHot85Vette (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 10:50 AM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTwoToneCorvette
It stops the exhaust from coming back into your intake. It also can cause problems with the ECU throwing an error, or not throwing an error and then modifying the AF mixture in cruise mode, which can cause a lean condition. When I rebuilt my 85, I saw the black oily soot coating the inside of the intake and blocked mine off. I also reprogrammed the ECU to disable the EGR system, so the AF mixture is never modified, and no codes.
I have an '85 as well. Stopped by the forum, with the question at hand, did a search, found this post and yours, got my answer inside of 60 seconds. Thanks to the asker, and Thanks to the answerer (?).

I'm off to eBay to get a nice block off plate.

John
Old 11-23-2018, 10:38 AM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks.
Sorry, but I think I wasn't clear in my previous post.
"It (The EGR block off) also can cause problems with the ECU throwing an error, or not throwing an error and then modifying the AF mixture in cruise mode, which can cause a lean condition."
At light throttle, the 85 ECU can enter a cruise mode with the EGR active. The AF is adjusted to balance with the EGR gas coming back in. When you block the EGR gas you get a normal O2 level in the intake air and this leans out the AF. The error code is related to the ECU emissions control when it senses that your EGR solenoid sensor is not active when it should be. A lean AF may also trigger another error code. I think the 86 and later ECUs had more complex emissions controls, and the 85 may not trigger a EGR fail code. This is why I reprogrammed my 85 ECU to disable the controls, as part of some other tuning I was doing. I think that the stock L98s run somewhat rich, so just blocking off the EGR like what you are going to do may not cause any real problems other than an annoying error code.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR Block-off plates question

Quick Reply: EGR Block-off plates question