C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car has been skipping an changed opti spark spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:30 AM
Steven Jordan Piro
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car has been skipping an changed opti spark spark plugs

Could it have a computer problem
Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

Steven, The reason you have got zero responses is there is not enough info to comment. You must type way more info. Car year, mileage,optispark brand, what skipping means. Need way more info.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:05 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Before busting back into the optispark, i would check that all spark plug wires are routes corrected. Also that none of the plugs got gapped too tight. Too tight will cause a misfire. I had one plug gapped at .025 and it was like a washing machine out of balance on highway.

If those check out then i believe its an optispark problem.

did you put an NOS unit with the mitsubishi optical sensor or an off brand?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

Before busting back into the optispark, i would check that all spark plug wires are routes corrected. Also that none of the plugs got gapped too tight. Too tight will cause a misfire. I had one plug gapped at .025 and it was like a washing machine out of balance on highway.

If those check out then i believe its an optispark problem.

did you put an NOS unit with the mitsubishi optical sensor or an off brand?
Diz, I would bet $1000.00 dollars it was NOT a NOS unit with A Mitsubishi Sensor. Dan
Old 12-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Steven Jordan Piro
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please someone help me before I go broke

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Diz, I would bet $1000.00 dollars it was NOT a NOS unit with A Mitsubishi Sensor. Dan
whaleman you seem like you pretty know what your talking about I'll start from the beginning sorry for my spelling & grammar not so good! Had bad ignition before I changed ! I really screwed up an tried starting it 150 times an gas loaded engine did not know at time so pushed started tires kept locking up have 94 six speed 5.7 lt1 (btw)So the smart guy i am pull it with my truck a couple times ended up starting an was skipping like a **** an opened hood an saw oil coming out dipstick so I thought great blow engine! Went down FL fort Lauderdale machine shop bought 383 stroker rollercammed roller rockers BK58mm TB aluminum heads ported an polished bought as short block but had most of parts to make longblock so went on eBay bought rest of parts ok got engine sitting here ok off track now!! Anyway figured out sence I turned ignition a hundred times loaded engine with gas so had ignition changed an changed my oil which had about 7 qts two extra so changed my plugs to started rite up ran but had a skip at idle an low rpm rev up to 5gran an skip went away so figured that opti spark got oil/gas in it an went bad so I changed it know I did it right because ran the same as before changing so changed my plugs again runs the same just got new set of spark plug wires an new set of plugs while I changed wires&plugs gonna do a compression test leaning towards bent valve/ cracked rings I'm lost that's why I'm on this corvette forum not no mechanic but I can change parts engine ECT don't want to change unless I have to an don't want to have same problems after I pit new engine in because it's a computer or sum sensors I got gas/oiled out because I had a brainfart ?please help me !!??? Just letting people know I didn't put New engine in yet that I bought because I don't have the money yet but if I can do a headgasket/valve job I c a n afford but would like to know as lo g as it fixes the problem looking for any type of help

New 383short block got heads beside engine need to come up 700 to port and polished to make sure its done don't wanna go on someone's else's word an 700 for headers before i do engine swap most of all fix problem im having wit car??

Last edited by Steven Jordan Piro; 12-13-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Looking for everyone to see
Old 12-14-2018, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH:

I have had engine like yours that had a lot of fuel in the oil and when I drained the oil/fuel mix it was about like you said.. About 7+ quarts in the oil pan.

Now... I allowed it to drain and put my air blower in the engine adn allowed air to flow thoguth it to try to get as much of the gas fumes out of it so it would not blow up like a grenade when I cranked it.

I got it running again and all was fine. Obviously I changed the oil again to get any remaining fuel/oil mix that was still in the engine in the oil passages was now mixed with the fresh oil I put into it. And I drained that out and replaced it along with a fresh oil filter.

AS for your issue. I am also suspect of the Opti-spark due to not all of them are worth anything at all adn they can fail due to the module is crap and may only last a year. How do i knwo this??? Well...one of my former employees had a 1996 Corvette and chose to buy the Opti-Spark from Autozone and he would have to change it out yearly and oddly enough...it went bad just before the guarantee went out on it so he got it for free but he had to put it in. I get the Opti-spark distributors from https://petrisenterprises.com/ or http://www.kandbcorvetteproducts.com/

I also have a fear that you can have a fuel injector issue and they are not balanced and if they are not balanced....you cannot expect them to correctly deliver the fuel to each cylinder the same.

DUB
Old 12-15-2018, 06:19 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steven Jordan Piro
whaleman you seem like you pretty know what your talking about I'll start from the beginning sorry for my spelling & grammar not so good! Had bad ignition before I changed ! I really screwed up an tried starting it 150 times an gas loaded engine did not know at time so pushed started tires kept locking up have 94 six speed 5.7 lt1 (btw)So the smart guy i am pull it with my truck a couple times ended up starting an was skipping like a **** an opened hood an saw oil coming out dipstick so I thought great blow engine! Went down FL fort Lauderdale machine shop bought 383 stroker rollercammed roller rockers BK58mm TB aluminum heads ported an polished bought as short block but had most of parts to make longblock so went on eBay bought rest of parts ok got engine sitting here ok off track now!! Anyway figured out sence I turned ignition a hundred times loaded engine with gas so had ignition changed an changed my oil which had about 7 qts two extra so changed my plugs to started rite up ran but had a skip at idle an low rpm rev up to 5gran an skip went away so figured that opti spark got oil/gas in it an went bad so I changed it know I did it right because ran the same as before changing so changed my plugs again runs the same just got new set of spark plug wires an new set of plugs while I changed wires&plugs gonna do a compression test leaning towards bent valve/ cracked rings I'm lost that's why I'm on this corvette forum not no mechanic but I can change parts engine ECT don't want to change unless I have to an don't want to have same problems after I pit new engine in because it's a computer or sum sensors I got gas/oiled out because I had a brainfart ?please help me !!??? Just letting people know I didn't put New engine in yet that I bought because I don't have the money yet but if I can do a headgasket/valve job I c a n afford but would like to know as lo g as it fixes the problem looking for any type of help

New 383short block got heads beside engine need to come up 700 to port and polished to make sure its done don't wanna go on someone's else's word an 700 for headers before i do engine swap most of all fix problem im having wit car??
Thank you for thinking I know what I am talking about. I am really not very knowledgeable and I am sorry to say your problem is over my head. If I was in your position I would contact a local Corvette club and see if there is someone who will help and advise you locally. Good Luck,Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Car has been skipping an changed opti spark spark plugs

Quick Reply: Car has been skipping an changed opti spark spark plugs