C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Safelite Replacing Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 AM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Safelite Replacing Windshield

Didn't want to hijack the other thread. Safelite is replace the windshield on my 85 Coupe tomorrow. Anything I can do to help out on prep. Saw something about seals being damaged. Any info there. I'm going to remove the top today just to make sure that won't be a problem. Went with them because of their rep and I had them replace a windshield in my 04 Silverado without any complaints. $340 complete. ETA I've only owned the car about a week.

ETA2: Safelite turned me away as did many others. Seems the big deal is the header strip leaking at the doors. Found Macys' Streetrod Autoglass that will do the installations, said he has 40 yrs experience and has installed many C4 windshields. $335 and I supply the header strip ($167 from Corvette Central). Read the whole thread lots of great comments.

TIA

Joe K

Here's a pic.

Last edited by Joe K; 12-05-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added a synopsis of my ordeal
Old 12-02-2018, 09:25 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Why not call Safeliite, and see what they suggest?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by don hall
Why not call Safeliite, and see what they suggest?
Not open sunday. Thought it was cut and dry until I saw the other thread. I'm really putting it all on them. I'm just looking for some information especially from someone that has btdt.

Last edited by Joe K; 12-02-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Dredgeguy
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

They did my 92 ZR-1 and did a great job. Just speak to them and get their best. For sure one in the group will be the Corvette guy and work around his schedule. I waited 3 days to get "the guy".
Tell him to go slow and save your trim. The new trim will be shinny and will not match what was original. I was lucky that "the guy" took his time with me keeping a watchful eye and he saved it all and it looks great.
Good luck
Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Dredgeguy
They did my 92 ZR-1 and did a great job. Just speak to them and get their best. For sure one in the group will be the Corvette guy and work around his schedule. I waited 3 days to get "the guy".
Tell him to go slow and save your trim. The new trim will be shinny and will not match what was original. I was lucky that "the guy" took his time with me keeping a watchful eye and he saved it all and it looks great.
Good luck
IDK about Safelite but my experience with mechanics is that "the guy" is usually the one that draws short straw to work on old junk. I mean, how many Corvettes do they work on where they have that one guy that knows them inside and out? I have 3 MBs and 1 Ford. We always got "the guy". Guess what "the guy" told me about my MB? The glass is all from the same factory. It just costs more for MB. Sure enough, my rain sensor didn't work anymore. Well, obviously it had to be the sensor, right? They asked me to get MB to test it on their dime. It obviously tested good. They weren't sure so I made a deal. If they bought an MB glass with the 3 point star and it didn't fix it, I would eat the cost. If it did, they pay for it. What do you know? I got my rain sensor working. In all his 20 plus years, he never saw such a thing.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:48 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I wouldn't do anything to help. Remove the glass top and be done with it. You might need new rubber if the old one is shot. Do nothing so he can't blame your "prep work". Ask me how I learned that.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aklim
I wouldn't do anything to help. Remove the glass top and be done with it. You might need new rubber if the old one is shot. Do nothing so he can't blame your "prep work". Ask me how I learned that.
Thanks for all the great advice. Think I'll go with aklims' and just let them take care of it. I will mention about the trim.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

The only thing that really helps and we would for the installer was to keep the car warm. Nothing is more of pain to cut is cold/frozen Windshield Adhesive, if things are warm better chance of keeping Weatherstrips and Tracks Undamaged while they are removed

Last edited by s carter; 12-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Safelite just replaced the windshield on one of my 96's, they did a great job. They replaced the windshield, the A-pillar seal, and the metal strip that runs along the top of the windshield. The cost was 365.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 12-02-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:06 PM
CMiller95
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It all depends on the technician that you get. When Safelite replaced mine it took two months, two windshields, quite a bit of new weatherstrip, and a few thousand dollars. I would lean towards a dealership, corvette specialty place, or a shop you really trust.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:26 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Oh by the way, I brought my car to a safelite shop, I didn't have them come to my house to replace it. Before I let them do it I asked them if they had a guy that was familiar with doing corvette windshields and they did, I had him do it and he did a perfect job.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Safelite turned me away. Said the aftermarket gasket leaked so they didn't do any C4s. Tech said they try to tell Corporate that. Gave me a lead but they didn't do them and their lead didn't either. Stopped by my Allstate agents office. Gave me the number to their "guy". Called him and he will get back to me. If I have to I will start another thread asking for leads. Thanks for all of the great comments and advice. And yes I'm thinking about calling "Corporate" and letting them know.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

That sucks, it sounds like you got a shop that just didn't want to do it. I'd call corporate and bitch and I wouldn't go back to that shop, find another one. Are there more safelites in your area? If worse comes to worse have a Chevy dealer do it if the insurance is paying for it.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
That sucks, it sounds like you got a shop that just didn't want to do it. I'd call corporate and bitch and I wouldn't go back to that shop, find another one. Are there more safelites in your area? If worse comes to worse have a Chevy dealer do it if the insurance is paying for it.
I'm paying out of pocket. I purchased the car as is. Didn't know it was going to be such a pain. But no regrets so far. Insurance agent gave me his guy, he said the owner said no, he gave me a number and that guy, he was the owner said no. He called someone and he said he would do it. An installer he's know for 20 years and does it on his own. He wasn't feeling well today and asked me to call him tomorrow. That's what I plan on doing right now. Car is leaking badly now so I'm not that concerned with leaks. I can possible take care of them. Can't drag or track the car with a broken windshield. I was planning on this to be a fun drag car for just the local Wednesday test and tune night. I definitely want it to be a dedicated driver. I haven't given up. See what this guy says and if it not totally off the wall he's the one. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:28 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I took mine to a auto glass shop but I removed all the trim and my a pillar rubber ,plus the dash. You have to leave the meatal because after he sets the glass that is what holds it in place as it hardens or whatever.
285.00 cash then put everything back.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:50 AM
jaydaug2008
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprisingly I work for safelite and own a 84 vette.....And I will tell you right now unless its been changed recently and the rubber is still good( Im sure its not)..you will need to order one off ebay..Even if your rubbers still look good you will probably need new...Then again who knows..miracles happen......Some things to watch out for is I would make sure he centers the windshield left to right evenly and he runs a tall bead of urethane to keep the height of the glass tight against the moldings or else whistles......One thing you could help him out with is cleaning out the rubber debris left in the side and top channels..Wire toothbrush works good..You can always have him replace the windshield and do the rubber molding yourself after hes gone..just have him put the metal sides and top on..Any questions feel free and ask Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
xrav22 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Just spoke with Macy at Macys' Streetrod Autoglass a contact that I was given then sort of forgot about. He said he has 40 years experience and has installed many C4 windshields. $335 and I'm supplying the header strip which he will install. Bought it from Corvette Central for 167.30 shipped. He was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Once I get the header strip I will call and work out the details. I'll post and update. Thanks again for all of the comments, I really appreciate everyone here on the forum.

Joe K

Get notified of new replies

To Safelite Replacing Windshield

Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Ok I'm happy to say I have a new windshield and header weather strip. Macy did a fantastic job. I highly recommend Macy's Streetrod Autoglass. Just DM me or google. Weather strip preinstall looked very wrinkled but came out great after installed. $335 Glass and my header, $158 installed plus I gave him $15 extra just because. So $508 total. A little more than I wanted to spend but considering I thought I may have to do this myself it was a deal. So anyway thanks for all of the tips and advise. Here are the pics.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

High Pressure car wash will help you determine that it is fixed
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 PM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

High Pressure car wash will help you determine that it is fixed
I asked him if I needed to wait a while before driving it or anything. He said no and that I could wash it if I liked. He was pretty confident that the header wouldn't leak but wasn't so sure about where it meets the front of the door weatherstrip. But yes I'm sure that is the ultimate test.

Quick Reply: Safelite Replacing Windshield