C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 Corvette LT4 motor removal dilema

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 01:29 PM
BatmobileLT4
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 96 Corvette LT4 motor removal dilema

Hi all, Im having a really tough time with the last step (of course) of my engine removal. I spent a good 2 hours trying to pry the motor and the trans apart. Although about a 1 inch gap was opened between the back of the motor and the trans something seems to be binded and not letting me remove the motor. Everything is unbolted and I have verified at least 3 times. The only thing left attached is a power steering hose that connects to an arm on the driver side. Im extremely clueless as to what could be holding the motor from coming out. Car is not in gear and we are able to wiggle the motor around but the two do not want to separate. Had everything chained up and ready to remove and then this happened and we cant figure out why. Has this happened to anybody or does anyone have some input as to what the culrpit is? Extremely frustrating and time consuming. The car is already cramped enough that something were a pain to remove so that just adds to the misery. I watched my brother do the same on his Camaro and the trans and mtor simply just pried apart. On this car, we pry it and the gap is pretty big but something is still stuck to the motor and it wont let go. The motor is completely loose but whatever is going on between the trans and the back of the motor is halting progress. Any help is much appreciated. I have the manuals and followed everything except for clutch assembly removal. Not sure why that would need to be removed if its so far back but I could see that being the culprit with my luck. I just want to finally get this motor out so I can disassemble it in the garage while it rains.

Last edited by BatmobileLT4; 12-09-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:31 PM
BatmobileLT4
Instructor

By the way the shim, gasket, or whatever you want to call it between the back of the motor and the bell housing is pretty much trashed at this point. Anyone know if I can get one aftermarket or does that need to be obtained off another car?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Pull the clutch fork out of the bell housing. It may not come all the way out but you have to disengage it.
The following users liked this post:
BatmobileLT4 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 03:43 PM
BatmobileLT4
Instructor

So could that be whats causing all this chaos? me and my brother were sitting there doing everything we could hopefully we didnt damage anything but the thing wont budge loose. Do I actually have to remove the clutch assembly like the book says or just the fork?
Old 12-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Pull the fork out, not the clutch. It should pull out a few inches but not come out completely. That should disconnect things and let the m slid apart.
BatmobileLT4 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 04:44 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

If you haven’t done so-I would remove the from damper it is 2 pieces just remove the damper not the hub. It May be against the front crossmember. When I pulled my LT1 I removed the transmission and bellhousing first.

Good luck
Old 12-09-2018, 04:48 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,288 Likes on 870 Posts

Where have you unbolted the trans? Trans to bell housing or bell housing to the block?

The proper way is to drop the trans first in the MN6.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:00 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Where have you unbolted the trans? Trans to bell housing or bell housing to the block?

The proper way is to drop the trans first in the MN6.
What he said.

It ain't like the olden days, or at least most every car ever built with a push type clutch. Your pull type clutch clutch fork is still engaged with the pressure plate and that's what's preventing you from being able to remove the engine.

With the trans out, screw the clutch fork ball mounting stud clockwise and it will move forward until it disengages from the bellhousing. make it easy on yourself; now lower the rear of the engine and unbolt and remove the bellhousing

Last edited by mtwoolford; 12-09-2018 at 06:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mtwoolford:
BatmobileLT4 (12-10-2018), DGXR (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:01 PM
BatmobileLT4
Instructor

Bell housing to block. First time doing this so please bear with me haha. Well as soon as the weather and time permit I will take this information and put it to good use. Thank you guys! Whats funny is that after I posted this thread I happened to find the exactt same question by someone else posted in 2007 but I couldnt seem to find it before I posted but thanks for helping.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:19 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
What he said.
It ain't like the olden days, or at least most every car ever built with a push type clutch. Your pull type clutch clutch fork is still engaged with the pressure plate and that's what's preventing you from being able to remove the engine.
With the trans out, screw the clutch fork ball mounting stud clockwise and it will move forward until it disengages from the bellhousing. make it easy on yourself; now lower the rear of the engine and unbolt and remove the bellhousing
This is an excellent reminder that the manual cars have a pull clutch interface between the throwout bearing and the pressure plate. It is not a push action that would be typical in an American car. Thank you.
BatmobileLT4 (12-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Corvette LT4 motor removal dilema

Quick Reply: 96 Corvette LT4 motor removal dilema