C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help needed C4 will start and die sometimes and is hard to put into gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 03:15 PM
JaredAwells
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed C4 will start and die sometimes and is hard to put into gears

I have just bought a 1987 Corvette and it will start and run beautiful but sometimes it will start and run smoothly for only a second and die it only has 85,000 miles. The transmission is the Doug Nash 4+3 and it won’t go into gear when car is running but will if it is off
Old 12-09-2018, 11:34 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you start up in gear or neutral? Does the clutch feel "normal" most of the time?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:10 AM
JaredAwells
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Do you start up in gear or neutral? Does the clutch feel "normal" most of the time?
I have to start it in neutral because the clutch still grabs but I checked the clutch fluid and it was low I have added some but still nothing would I have to bleed it?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:09 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Not sure about the bleeding of the clutch. Does it stall out when starting in "N"?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Boggedust
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaredAwells
I have just bought a 1987 Corvette and it will start and run beautiful but sometimes it will start and run smoothly for only a second and die it only has 85,000 miles. The transmission is the Doug Nash 4+3 and it won’t go into gear when car is running but will if it is off
will the car shoot forward and stall? If you start it in reverse, does it shoot backwards and stall? If that's the case, there is air in the hydraulics. Not fun to bleed.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:18 PM
JaredAwells
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boggedust
will the car shoot forward and stall? If you start it in reverse, does it shoot backwards and stall? If that's the case, there is air in the hydraulics. Not fun to bleed.
yes that’s exactly what it does would it be best to have some one sit in the car and put it on a two post and bleed it that way?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Boggedust
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bleed via the valve or you can take the cap off the master cylinder and pump the clutch around a thousand times. Both two person jobs. I would try the latter first.

with the cap off, have someone watch the fluid level as someone else keeps hitting the clutch pedal. Air bubbles mean its bleeding. You will need to lift the car front/back and continue to get some more air out. It will take time but only difficulty is the foot motion. Clutch pedal should start to firm up but will take like 50 motions

otherwise that valve is opening to vacuum and pump and fill the level. Once that valve is open though, air WILL get in so you're committed.

good luck
Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

If the problem is air in the clutch hydraulics, pumping the clutch pedal repeatedly will probably/eventually get the air out. But I have found it easier and faster to push the pedal down all the way, hold it down for 30 seconds, and then let the pedal snap back up -- I used a side-stepping technique. You are looking for a banging action rather than a smooth action. (That's what she said.) Just my $0.02
Otherwise you may have a fault/leak in the clutch master or slave cylinder.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:05 AM
JaredAwells
Advanced

Originally Posted by DGXR
If the problem is air in the clutch hydraulics, pumping the clutch pedal repeatedly will probably/eventually get the air out. But I have found it easier and faster to push the pedal down all the way, hold it down for 30 seconds, and then let the pedal snap back up -- I used a side-stepping technique. You are looking for a banging action rather than a smooth action. (That's what she said.) Just my $0.02
Otherwise you may have a fault/leak in the clutch master or slave cylinder.
okay I’ll try that idea I’ll keep an eye out for any leaks coming from under the car hopefully none
Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

You can try the Clutch Snap and Hope for the Bests, but in the end the Bleeder on the 87 with a 4+3 is on top of the Slave so raise the Car up Have someone Pump & Hold Crack the Bleeder a few Times, or even push the Clutch back against the slave and push Fluid & Air back to the Master. But if you still have a problem after you feel it is bled, I would look toward either the Clutch Master is Stroking Thru a bit or slave leaking but that would be 1 Big leak at slave.

Also what's the History on the Clutch has it ever been Done, and is the Effort to push Down peddle very High, C-4s do have a Heavy Clutch but not Unreasonable.

Last edited by s carter; 12-12-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:14 PM
JaredAwells
Advanced

Originally Posted by s carter
You can try the Clutch Snap and Hope for the Bests, but in the end the Bleeder on the 87 with a 4+3 is on top of the Slave so raise the Car up Have someone Pump & Hold Crack the Bleeder a few Times, or even push the Clutch back against the slave and push Fluid & Air back to the Master. But if you still have a problem after you feel it is bled, I would look toward either the Clutch Master is Stroking Thru a bit or slave leaking but that would be 1 Big leak at slave.

Also what's the History on the Clutch has it ever been Done, and is the Effort to push Down peddle very High, C-4s do have a Heavy Clutch but not Unreasonable.
I just bought the car and I’m not sure but the clutch isn’t stiff at all but it’s not super limp so if I’m lucky it just has air in the lines I think I’ll try your bleeding method first
Old 12-12-2018, 04:28 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

I just bought the car and I’m not sure but the clutch isn’t stiff at all but it’s not super limp so if I’m lucky it just has air in the lines I think I’ll try your bleeding method first
If it's like stepping on a Sponge You Have air. the Clutch Peddle should kind like the Leg Press at the Gym with About 50 Lbs. Not HARD but Not Limp..
Old 12-12-2018, 04:35 PM
JaredAwells
Advanced

If it's like stepping on a Sponge You Have air. the Clutch Peddle should kind like the Leg Press at the Gym with About 50 Lbs. Not HARD but Not Limp..
it’s no where near what you’re what you’re saying so when I get time Friday I’ll let you know know how it goes I appreciate the feedback from everyone and when I bleed it should I crack it have them push the clutch and then shut it then they let off the clutch and repeat until the air is gone?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:43 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

it’s no where near what you’re what you’re saying so when I get time Friday I’ll let you know know how it goes I appreciate the feedback from everyone and when I bleed it should I crack it have them push the clutch and then shut it then they let off the clutch and repeat until the air is gone?

They Press & Hold, You Crack it Spits You Close Quickly What Does Matter is that You are Closed before they Release, otherwise it can Back Draw. I like for the final opening of the bleeder to close while there is still Pressure in the system and a solid stream is flowing.

Last edited by s carter; 12-12-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 PM
JaredAwells
Advanced

They Press & Hold, You Crack it Spits You Close Quickly What Does Matter is that You are Closed before they Release, otherwise it can Back Draw. I like for the final opening of the bleeder to close while there is still Pressure in the system and a solid stream is flowing.
okay thank you very much and any others who commented all has been helpful
Old 12-13-2018, 05:35 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

In regards to the not starting sometimes and running other times you will want to check the following things. I would look at your engines Temperature Sensors (mine has two, one for gauge one for ECM. If the ECM one is not sending the correct readings it cause problems with starting. What happens sometimes is that the sensors will fail and send erroneous data to the ECM. If the ECM thinks it is 10 degree F it will flood the car potentially where if the sensor went bad the other way the car will think it is trying to operate at 200+ degree which would not be good.

The second thing you might want to check is the fuel pressure that the car is running as it is critical to a good performing Corvette. Is the car displaying any codes? This is something you can check using a paperclip for the adventurous types, a code reader will work better and the best is a software that allows you to monitor the car while it is running. There are many ways depending on your budget.

If this car is new to you one of the most important second purchases is a full set of the Factory Service Manuals, in 1988 they had two books, one the main one is the car mechanically, the second book is about the electrical and electronic systems of the Corvette. Is is very important to get your specific year as they made changes to the Corvette regularly. Without the FSM taking care of a Corvette is a very expensive. These cars are getting old fast and they require more maintenance than your average grocery getter. After the manuals I would suggest a "Fuel Pressure Gauge" and maybe a decent Multi-meter.

Corvettes are a great hobby! I hope that you get your issues sorted out quickly, looks like you are well on the way regarding the clutch issue!

I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a New Year full of Wonderful Experiences with your Corvette!

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed C4 will start and die sometimes and is hard to put into gears

Quick Reply: Help needed C4 will start and die sometimes and is hard to put into gears