C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 Fuel Gauge/Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:43 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 91 Fuel Gauge/Sending Unit

Hi all, I seem to be having a problem with my fuel gauge or fuel sending unit. When my gauge has 4 - 5 bars remaining, the fuel range shows ~100 miles. I then drive about 10 miles, the car starts to sputter and the fuel range drops down to about ~ 30 miles. Anyone have any idea if this would be more of a gauge problem or fuel sender problem? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

there are threads on how to clean sending units but replacing it is the best idea.....they aren't the most accurate deals, I got a new on from corvette central, a stainless unit, worked nicely for several years.....now it sometimes reflects the accurate reading and then a little later, show full again.....I just keep it full to avoid the problem.....
Old 12-12-2018, 10:32 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Sometimes the fuel tank sending unit gets corrosion on them. I had my pump out a while back and I cleaned the surface of the sending unit with Electric Contact Cleaner and it works just like new afterwards. Those sending units are easily replaced and are not too expensive. I would try cleaning it first. As the replacements might not be as high a quality as the original GM one that came with your car. If you do open the tank up to clean the fuel sending unit be sure to put some penetrating oil on the bolts that hold the pump/sending unit assembly in place on the top of the tank under the rubber piece. Give the oil a day or so to soak in if there is any apparent corrosion. Two of mine decided to break off in the hole which complicated matters a bit. If you don't have time then try heating the bolts up and then putting the oil on them as this really helps break them loose. Frequently I suggest a propane torch but not in this case.... A hot air gun can get hot enough to do the job without risking a big bang.

I agree with Playsdixie, it is better to keep the fuel tank full as it reduces condensation buildup inside the tank. If you leave the tank full just remember that you need to use that ethanol based gasoline within 30-45 days. I add a bottle of the Ethanol remover when I fill the tank when it is going to sit for a while. Better yet go someplace that has pure gasoline.

Good Luck with your sending unit!

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a New Year full of Corvette Moments!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
Two of mine decided to break off in the hole which complicated matters a bit.

I agree with Playsdixie, it is better to keep the fuel tank full as it reduces condensation buildup inside the tank. If you leave the tank full just remember that you need to use that ethanol based gasoline within 30-45 days.

I add a bottle of the Ethanol remover when I fill the tank when it is going to sit for a while.

Better yet go someplace that has pure gasoline.!
If you are going to remove the sender, take a minute to buy the kit from Racetronix so you have a gasket and SS bolts.

Over the winter, sure. In the summer, is that an issue?

What removes ethanol besides enough water to cause phase separation? Within reason, that is.

Those places, at least around here, aren't that plentiful. You might have to go for a bit and be chained to them. If you are going to store it, maybe Stabil would be easier?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I start by checking for corrosion and cleaning as necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 Fuel Gauge/Sending Unit

Quick Reply: 91 Fuel Gauge/Sending Unit