C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

PCM Electrolytic AND vin

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:24 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Default PCM Electrolytic AND vin

I successfully recovered my pcm and a spare PCM by removing and flashing the PROMS with BIN files for each side. The bin file I nabbed of course has the wrong VIN # in it. Does anyone know which bin and where the VIN is stored? Im obdii so I guess I cant run all the cool utilities the OBD1 guys can run to do this unless there is a method to combine both my bin files into one and then export 2 files after I modify... is there a method to do this?

Lastly, I noticed there is a 27uf Capacitor on these. I will likely change them because they are both probably bad or failing but does anyone know if this is part of the power filter or some sort of timer?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:31 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

No one has an idea here? Hmm looks like Im gonna be doing the hard work myself I will post my findings.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:06 PM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Can't hurt to replace the caps, especially if they are >20 years old. If you have an ESR meter, you can check them in-circuit first.

Steve
Old 12-17-2018, 05:37 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NavAir
Can't hurt to replace the caps, especially if they are >20 years old. If you have an ESR meter, you can check them in-circuit first.

Steve
Depending on its implementation this could be a ticking time bomb for c4 people. Surely it is degraded.. electrolytics just dont last even if over engineered.

I didnt know you could test a cap in circuit.. now I have to look up an esr meter and how it is used.

Get notified of new replies

To PCM Electrolytic AND vin

Quick Reply: PCM Electrolytic AND vin