C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

16x9.5 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe K
The adapter is 1.5". I did an eyeball measurement. I took the tape measure from the back of the wheel where it mounts and eyeballed the rim on both. The new rims just looked wider. Very unscientific. And on the center bore when I looked at adapters I saw something about wheel centric, hub centric and what have you. That's when I decided that what I had was going to be good enough until I had the time to find out. I didn't take the adapter off and the only markings I could see were bolt pattern.
That's a lot of spacer, but see how it fits with tires first. You need to pay attention not just to looks, but to make sure it doesn't hit the fender edge full compression and also to make sure that it doesn't hit the wheel well at full steering lock in either direction. They're going to be about 1/3" further out than my 11" ET50 wheels, so they might just make it. The worst case is that you buy 1" spacers or adapters to replace the 1.5" ones you have now.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default End result

Ok here it is. Big O installed the tires on the rims and balance. I took them home and removed the old and installed these. The first old locking nut I attempted to install hit the rim and got stuck. So I let it go and installed the others sans locking lug. Test drive was horrendous. Terrible shake specially from the rear. Took it back and they got the stuck locking nut off which was worth the trip. Rebalanced the tires. Said yes they were out but couldn't explain it. I think the machine was out of calibration. So, driveable but not to my standards. Stopped at Tire Discounters and they set me up for Monday. Everyone was out for holiday and he wanted a particular person to do my balance. The writer is/was a Corvette guy and wanted me to wait. So I will take it in Monday and I'm sure it will be fixed. Car drove smooth as silk with the old tires. LMK if you have an idea of something I may need to look at. Other than that I think this combo is the baddest of the bad as far as looks and performance. I could definitively tell a difference in the ride, handling and traction. Thanks for all of the great help and advice everyone. I'm leaving it as is for now. Happy is an understatement. eta will be putting red lugnuts on shortly with the proper lock.

Last edited by Joe K; 01-02-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:18 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

I just hope one of the wheels isn't bent, out of round, or having lateral runout. It's a concern that they couldn't get them balanced. But hopefully it's just them. You can definitely see the extra 1/2-3/4" of poke, but it still looks good. You know you always have the option of narrower spacers or adapters, so you can run it how you like it. Thanks for the update!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 PM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good news. Couldn't wait until Monday so I stopped into Michel Tires Plus. Told them the story and how I thought maybe one of the rear tires needed to be turn 180 degrees. Had nearly 4oz of weight on it in one long line. I get written up and I'm not sure how the conversation started but the writer has done Tail of the Dragon, in a late model Mustang, and has driven many tracks. We ribbed each other, Mustang v Corvette. He and the shop definitely knew what to do. Showed me some pics of a model A they put tires on and balance the original style wheels. As showed me a 60 something GT500 they did the tires on. Said he put his best guy on it, he's the one that does his Mustang. They did rotate the one tire 180 and installed the stick on weights correctly. Told me if I still wasn't happy there were other things they could do to correct the problem. Car drives as smooth as can be. I still feeling something (that no one but me would feel) but I think it's just the wide tires and the HD suspension showing me every imperfection in the roadway. Called him and thank him for the attention he and the crew gave me and my vehicle and that he would be my go to for anything I couldn't or didn't want to do. Big O gave me half of what I paid, total was about $55 so $27. Made the mistake of telling them half was ok. So I will feel comfortable when I get the chance to do a few laps at NCM Motorsports Park and the local 1/8 mile. Soon I hope.

Last edited by Joe K; 01-03-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:13 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

^^^Glad you found someone who knew how to do it!

Quick Reply: 16x9.5 Tires