Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mostmint Racing 1989 Corvette Build

Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Aaron's-coupe
CF Senior Member

Thanks! We have had a few hurdles but we finally made it. Nothing like the felling of success when we took he checked flag. We were super happy with the car, the tires and brakes held up and still have life. That was refreshing to know as other cars were burning through tires and brakes.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Mostmint

The engine temp sensor is not working and the oil pressure is reading high (used a mismatched sensor) so we acquired gauges. Now have five gauges to install.

the car sits high about 1/2” in front and 1” in the back. Measurements compared to drcook’s car which I would consider a good representation of stock ride height.

Did some research on the Rhodes roll cage. It is generally not shaped the way I want around the A pillar and in the door bars.

Acquired a headlight bezel and the frame to k frame brackets.

Took some time to organize the garage since I now have to store parts for two race cars.

I have a few pics but today I can't get them to upload. Will try again later.

Last edited by Mostmint; 01-15-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:51 AM
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mostmint View Post

Did some research on the Rhodes roll cage. It is generally not shaped the way I want around the A pillar and in the door bars.
Like I said in your cage thread.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:44 AM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

in regards to ride height, i wonder if the traditional z51 handling package would end up being too stiff given the reduction in weight. makes me wonder if a softerspring would actually be better when lightening up the car significantly.

thoughts on this?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:56 PM
Aaron's-coupe
CF Senior Member

We have z51 springs in our car and even with the lowering kit our car still sits a little high. I think it’s a result of weight reduction. Looks like that’s what’s going on with their car as well.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Mostmint

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r View Post
in regards to ride height, i wonder if the traditional z51 handling package would end up being too stiff given the reduction in weight. makes me wonder if a softerspring would actually be better when lightening up the car significantly.

thoughts on this?
I need to understand spring rates before I can attempt to answer this question.

I believe softer springs are going to reduce responsiveness to steering input and to weight transfer. There will be more wheel/suspension travel as well.

In general those are not qualities I think I want but as I learn more about Vettes I may change my mind (like do they have progressive camber gain on front suspension compression?). The Saturn has camber loss under compression so I want the stiff springs. So much to learn still
Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 AM
Mostmint

$50 of parts from a local guy who is using C4 Vette suspension in old pickup trucks

Previous owner installed option. Please keep the torpedo heater away from the rocker panels

Moved the car around the other day and found these on the drive. Not sure where they could have come from. Shims for front upper control arms seem to be all there and tight
Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 AM
Red 91
CF Senior Member

Body panal shims.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red 91 For This Useful Post:
Mostmint (01-30-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Mostmint

Updates since last update:
1) Made significant progress building a temporary gauge panel - will house gauges for engine water temp, engine oil temp, trans oil temp, engine oil pressure and air fuel ratio. Factory sending units for oil pressure and engine temp gauges not working
2) Installed the RF inner fender center section. Took a bunch of fabricating since the part we had was from an earlier model and GM changed the part.
2) Fixed the targa top it had some bolts loose on the support bracket at the top of the A pillar.
3) Replaced the RF headlight frame (discovered the headlights pop up OK but they don't come on)
4) replaced the melted right side rocker panel
5) installed the new master cylinder
6) installed cradle to frame brace on LF - this was missing I had bought one finally had chance to install
7) more prep work on the exhaust manifolds for the straight plug heads - the EGR ports welded shut, studs removed, drilled and tapped, clean up some obstructions in the pipes. These clearly provide more room for the plugs
8) got license plates yesterday. Hoping for a road test soon.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:25 AM
ghoastrider1
CF Senior Member

one can of STP oil treatment and some chrome valve covers and that engine will be fine... Wow on the rust in that oil pan. Maybe the worst I ever saw.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mostmint Racing 1989 Corvette Build

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: