C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mostmint Racing 1989 Corvette Build

Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks! We have had a few hurdles but we finally made it. Nothing like the felling of success when we took he checked flag. We were super happy with the car, the tires and brakes held up and still have life. That was refreshing to know as other cars were burning through tires and brakes.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Mostmint
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The engine temp sensor is not working and the oil pressure is reading high (used a mismatched sensor) so we acquired gauges. Now have five gauges to install.

the car sits high about 1/2” in front and 1” in the back. Measurements compared to drcook’s car which I would consider a good representation of stock ride height.

Did some research on the Rhodes roll cage. It is generally not shaped the way I want around the A pillar and in the door bars.

Acquired a headlight bezel and the frame to k frame brackets.

Took some time to organize the garage since I now have to store parts for two race cars.

I have a few pics but today I can't get them to upload. Will try again later.

Last edited by Mostmint; 01-15-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:51 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,274 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Mostmint

Did some research on the Rhodes roll cage. It is generally not shaped the way I want around the A pillar and in the door bars.
Like I said in your cage thread.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:44 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

in regards to ride height, i wonder if the traditional z51 handling package would end up being too stiff given the reduction in weight. makes me wonder if a softerspring would actually be better when lightening up the car significantly.

thoughts on this?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:56 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have z51 springs in our car and even with the lowering kit our car still sits a little high. I think it’s a result of weight reduction. Looks like that’s what’s going on with their car as well.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Mostmint
Advanced

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
in regards to ride height, i wonder if the traditional z51 handling package would end up being too stiff given the reduction in weight. makes me wonder if a softerspring would actually be better when lightening up the car significantly.

thoughts on this?
I need to understand spring rates before I can attempt to answer this question.

I believe softer springs are going to reduce responsiveness to steering input and to weight transfer. There will be more wheel/suspension travel as well.

In general those are not qualities I think I want but as I learn more about Vettes I may change my mind (like do they have progressive camber gain on front suspension compression?). The Saturn has camber loss under compression so I want the stiff springs. So much to learn still
Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 AM
Mostmint
Advanced

$50 of parts from a local guy who is using C4 Vette suspension in old pickup trucks

Previous owner installed option. Please keep the torpedo heater away from the rocker panels

Moved the car around the other day and found these on the drive. Not sure where they could have come from. Shims for front upper control arms seem to be all there and tight
Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 AM
Red 91
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Body panal shims.
The following users liked this post:
Mostmint (01-30-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Mostmint
Advanced

Updates since last update:
1) Made significant progress building a temporary gauge panel - will house gauges for engine water temp, engine oil temp, trans oil temp, engine oil pressure and air fuel ratio. Factory sending units for oil pressure and engine temp gauges not working
2) Installed the RF inner fender center section. Took a bunch of fabricating since the part we had was from an earlier model and GM changed the part.
2) Fixed the targa top it had some bolts loose on the support bracket at the top of the A pillar.
3) Replaced the RF headlight frame (discovered the headlights pop up OK but they don't come on)
4) replaced the melted right side rocker panel
5) installed the new master cylinder
6) installed cradle to frame brace on LF - this was missing I had bought one finally had chance to install
7) more prep work on the exhaust manifolds for the straight plug heads - the EGR ports welded shut, studs removed, drilled and tapped, clean up some obstructions in the pipes. These clearly provide more room for the plugs
8) got license plates yesterday. Hoping for a road test soon.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:25 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

one can of STP oil treatment and some chrome valve covers and that engine will be fine...… Wow on the rust in that oil pan. Maybe the worst I ever saw.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Mostmint
Advanced

1 Installed the heat wrap on the straight plug manifolds and put them in the car
2 Installed the temporary gauge panel and hooked up all but the oil pressure
3 Got some help from a friend to locate a fiberglass top 86 1/2-88 style, and picked up brackets to install
4 Temporary reinstall of passenger seat
5 Test drive #1 uncovers the car track straight, stops straight, shifts good. Power is not overwhelming, the fan is not kicking on, and the gauge panel power goes off when you press the brake pedal.
6 Removed radio antenna, rear shade, heater core, air ducting in the dash, lots of wiring – everything in the doors except power windows, all the radio wiring, heat/AC control wiring, VATS, interior courtesy lights, door chime, evap canister. Shorten the ABS wiring. There was a lot of time hand picking through the wiring harness
7 Fixed the power source for the gauges
8 Second test drive uncovered all of the calipers are sticking. After < 10 minutes drive around the block the front rotors were at 600 degrees. Still not sure if I want stock brakes so getting some remanufactured calipers to fix it

Can't race with arcrylic top

Lots of wires out of the door. Keeping the power windows for a little while longer. Focus now is eliminating unnecessary wiring as items to simplify that work

This update reports 33 lbs total off the car with a few parts not weighed

oil gauge not hooked up yet. from the second test drive
Old 04-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

This is really coming along!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad you're updating this looking forward to following along!
Old 05-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Mostmint
Advanced

As the car reached it's 1 year anniversary with me I wanted to provide an update.

Very little has happened since last update as I am busy with life and prepping the Saturn for upcoming track day. I had made a shopping list for Carlisle but ended up sick so I missed that event.

I have new front calipers, a poly bushing kit for the suspension, an actual Wix air filter (it had no filter in the housing). Rear calipers should be here soon.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:07 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

update mr mostmint?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:38 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I gave him a set of low mileage Z51 Bilsteins off my '96. I put new ones on mine. Last time I was at his house, it was progressing.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:34 PM
Mostmint
Advanced

I had to set this project down as we went racing with the Saturn at Indy, and we are racing again at Nelson Ledges this weekend. Add in a bunch of other life things and the car waits. I have burned many cycles on my Saturn so I will need a few weeks off. Come October I think this project will resume. Hoping to get a few drag strip passes before the snow flies.
The following users liked this post:
Kubs (09-04-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Mostmint Racing 1989 Corvette Build

Old 10-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Mostmint
Advanced

Looks like work is to resume on this car

Updates:
1) Thanks to my brother a set of four 285/40/17 Conti's are in the garage. They are used but at just 5 years old and with decent tread they should work for drag racing and maybe a track day
2) As I may have mentioned earlier the calipers were all sticking. I have the fronts, but the rear calipers are not available anywhere right now. No cores mean they can't be remanufactured. Going to have to do rebuild kits
3) Compiled a list of to do's to get ready for a drag strip shakedown or a track day. Track day will be light use due to lack of beefed up transmission cooling, lack of brake cooling, lack of proper oil pan baffling/accusump. Track day on 11/2. Still lacking all the endurance upgrades so this will have to be a light test. Drag strip open Saturdays through November so there is a good chance it'll be ready for that
4) I acquired a set of C5 calipers and rotors for $50. Was going to turn these in as cores, but might end up converting over to C5 brakes just for parts availability. Will weigh the parts to compare. Have confirmed the 17" rims will fit over base model C5 brakes.

Going to acquire wiper arms, rear caliper rebuild kits today, maybe a few other odds and ends
Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mostmint
Looks like work is to resume on this car

Updates:
1) Thanks to my brother a set of four 285/40/17 Conti's are in the garage. They are used but at just 5 years old and with decent tread they should work for drag racing and maybe a track day
2) As I may have mentioned earlier the calipers were all sticking. I have the fronts, but the rear calipers are not available anywhere right now. No cores mean they can't be remanufactured. Going to have to do rebuild kits
3) Compiled a list of to do's to get ready for a drag strip shakedown or a track day. Track day will be light use due to lack of beefed up transmission cooling, lack of brake cooling, lack of proper oil pan baffling/accusump. Track day on 11/2. Still lacking all the endurance upgrades so this will have to be a light test. Drag strip open Saturdays through November so there is a good chance it'll be ready for that
4) I acquired a set of C5 calipers and rotors for $50. Was going to turn these in as cores, but might end up converting over to C5 brakes just for parts availability. Will weigh the parts to compare. Have confirmed the 17" rims will fit over base model C5 brakes.

Going to acquire wiper arms, rear caliper rebuild kits today, maybe a few other odds and ends
isnt there a penalty/points cost for brake upgrades?

base and zo6 c5 are same, fyi, other than paint colour

what are the point rules as far as deviating from original rim/tire sizes?

im very interested and rooting for you making that automatic work!! a nice exploit if it does.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Mostmint
Advanced

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
isnt there a penalty/points cost for brake upgrades?

base and zo6 c5 are same, fyi, other than paint colour

what are the point rules as far as deviating from original rim/tire sizes?

im very interested and rooting for you making that automatic work!! a nice exploit if it does.
You my friend will want to spend some time with the rule book. ChampCar has a 2x rule for wheels, calipers, rotors, shocks. Basically you can install a part that is worth up to 2x the stock replacement cost (think like Napa, Autozone, etc) without any points. Any adapters I have to fabricate to put the C5 parts on the C4 I may have to take points for the cost of the material at least, maybe more if there is any sophisticated machining required.
I could easily run 18" wheels on the car but I'm trying to keep down weight and cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mostmint Racing 1989 Corvette Build