C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Installing Melrose Headers on 1984 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:38 AM
James C4
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

@85WHITEZ51 Okay. Makes sense. I have the driver's side manifold off now and the only problem I'm having is getting the old gasket off the block. Other than that, everything is going well. I'll post back here when I'm done.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Mkimbler
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing Melrose headers this past weekend on my 84. Pretty much what everyone else has posted. Remove plugs and dipstick. I have a reman starter and agree with putting a shield on it. Make sure you connect all the starter wiring and put a reflective/heat reducing sleeve on those wires as well before installing the headers as it's a pretty tight work area if you don't. One other thing to watch is the transmission cooling lines as I had to loosen and move them a bit as they were touching the header on the passenger side. Other than that, easy!
Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 PM
James C4
Instructor

@Mkimbler Did you end up needing to go to shorty plugs? Also, 2 stupid questions. How do you know when all the gasket is scraped off the cylinder head? I'm guessing it's when there is no more black but I've never done it so idk. Also, which side of the gasket goes against the cylinder head? I'm guessing it's the more "unfinished" looking side of the gasket. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it a lot.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Mkimbler
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James C4
@Mkimbler Did you end up needing to go to shorty plugs? Also, 2 stupid questions. How do you know when all the gasket is scraped off the cylinder head? I'm guessing it's when there is no more black but I've never done it so idk. Also, which side of the gasket goes against the cylinder head? I'm guessing it's the more "unfinished" looking side of the gasket. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it a lot.
No shorty plugs. I use a razor scraper to clean old gaskets off and unfinished side against the head.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 AM
James C4
Instructor

@Mkimbler thanks for the advice. What did you end up doing with your heat riser pipe and A.I.R. hookups? I got the version without the cats but with the hookups on the headers.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,938 Posts

This is an 84 so the gains might not be as good as the TPI ones. So to justify the cost, what exactly does the OP want to achieve to justify the $1000+ expense?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I have the complete Melrose kit on my '85 and they are, hands down, the easiest headers to install I have ever used. The entire kit fits like a glove, just mock it all up then align everything and tighten it all down. Removing plugs is a good idea, like 383vett said, you will break a few doing the R&R. As far as a mini starter, the Melrose headers will fit around the big starter nicely, but getting the starter down and out of the car is a real pia so I recommend a mini just for ease of starter maintenance. I had Hedmans on my car first and while they are a good header, the Melrose kit is far superior.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM
James C4
Instructor

@aklim If I had the money I would do full bolt-ons and have the engine rebuilt and make it a 383 stroker. Since I don't have the money to do that, I'm just making sure that all current mods will help me reach my end goal. Also, if I'm going to do something, I want it done right and I don't want to waste my time installing a cheap product.

@Midnight 85 Thanks for the info and I'm glad they fit well. I'm almost done with driver's side and I'm ready to remove the passenger's side. What did you do with the A.I.R. hookup that went back to the cat?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I completely removed the pipe all together and put a plug on the cat where it entered.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

@aklim If I had the money I would do full bolt-ons and have the engine rebuilt and make it a 383 stroker. Since I don't have the money to do that, I'm just making sure that all current mods will help me reach my end goal. Also, if I'm going to do something, I want it done right and I don't want to waste my time installing a cheap product.

@Midnight 85 Thanks for the info and I'm glad they fit well. I'm almost done with driver's side and I'm ready to remove the passenger's side. What did you do with the A.I.R. hookup that went back to the cat?
I would NOT spend money on a cross fire 84 unless you are in love with it. We don't all have a money tree so it may be we have to save money to afford something good.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:47 PM
James C4
Instructor

@aklim I'll never have enough money to mod the '84 to its limit so its power eventually being limited by the fuel delivery system ins't something that bothers me. I just want to have a nice car that sounds good and is enjoyable in the corners.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:53 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I still think it's worth it. You wont gain a lot of peak HP or TQ but you should see a gain across the powerband. It will improve the efficiency of the engine as well and as is good foundation mod especially if you plan to do anything down the road.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:08 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

@aklim I'll never have enough money to mod the '84 to its limit so its power eventually being limited by the fuel delivery system ins't something that bothers me. I just want to have a nice car that sounds good and is enjoyable in the corners.
If you're comfortable with it, it wouldn't hurt to port the manifold either. You'll pick up a nice seat of pants improvement and extend your power curve from 42-4400 up to around 5000-5200.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Thing is you cannot change the ECM program so you are going to have to keep the parameters stock. IOW, increase in air flow will have to be met by fuel flow so that the ECM thinks it is within spec. That is going to make it harder. I guess my question is whether it is worth it from the standpoint that you will have to be very careful in what you do and take more time than say with a L98 or LT1 or LS series engine. If it were my car, I'd either live with the system the way it is, (there is enough power for the corners), and make life easier on myself or get a different car altogether that will be easier to mod. So if you aren't hung up on this particular car, it makes things easier since the car is stock and you can sell it easier.

If you want it better in corners, it probably wouldn't take much to mod the suspension. Not sure what to say about "sounds good" since I am not into sound and would probably want it to be as quiet as an electric motor to sound good to me.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:02 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I am fortunate enough to not have vehicle testing so there is not one ounce of smog equipment on my car but just do what 85WHITEZ51 told you, remove the pipe and plug the hole.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
Thing is you cannot change the ECM program so you are going to have to keep the parameters stock. IOW, increase in air flow will have to be met by fuel flow so that the ECM thinks it is within spec. That is going to make it harder. I guess my question is whether it is worth it from the standpoint that you will have to be very careful in what you do and take more time than say with a L98 or LT1 or LS series engine. If it were my car, I'd either live with the system the way it is, (there is enough power for the corners), and make life easier on myself or get a different car altogether that will be easier to mod. So if you aren't hung up on this particular car, it makes things easier since the car is stock and you can sell it easier.

If you want it better in corners, it probably wouldn't take much to mod the suspension. Not sure what to say about "sounds good" since I am not into sound and would probably want it to be as quiet as an electric motor to sound good to me.
The good thing about the timex based ecm in the 84s is that they're pretty forgiving as far as mods. Hot cam like specs and decent heads can for the most part be compensated for by fuel pressure. It won't be perfect but it will run fine. That's about the edge though. Basically as long as you keep enough fuel pressure and vacuum for the map to read right and the ecm to be able to adjust the BLM and INTs to the middle ish area it should be fine. Not ideal but it will be better off than an equivalent TPI with the same mods. I've seen it done myself.

Or if you want to go crazy there is the EBL flash route then your options are endless. If you're planning on building it, you gotta pay to play as it isn't cheap to do right.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 PM
James C4
Instructor

@84 4+3 I was planning on getting the Renegade intake before I go to college next fall.

@aklim I thought the ecm could be changed. I've seen people say they got one from pcmforless and I've considered this one from EM Racing. That link is technically to their old website but it's on their new one as well I believe. I've called and talked to them and they are fully aware that the '84 has the L83 even though the L98 is the only one listed.

@Midnight 85 If you plug the hole at the cat, which I won't have, do you just plug the other end as well and leave the pump in or just let the little pipe hang open?

Thank you all once again the help. I'm done with the driver's side and am waiting on a few parts before I install the one on the passenger side. I just finished cleaning off the old gasket on the head today so I should be done within the next week.

Last edited by James C4; 01-12-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Typos

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Melrose Headers on 1984 Corvette

Old 01-12-2019, 07:36 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

@84 4+3 I was planning on getting the Renegade intake before I go to college next fall.

@aklim I thought the ecm could be changed. I've seen people say they got one from pcmforless and I've considered this one from EM Racing. That link is technically to their old website but it's on their new one as well I believe. I've called and talked to them and they are fully aware that the '84 has the L83 even though the L98 is the only one listed.

@Midnight 85 If you plug the hole at the cat, which I won't have, do you just plug the other end as well and leave the pump in or just let the little pipe hang open?

Thank you all once again the help. I'm done with the driver's side and am waiting on a few parts before I install the one on the passenger side. I just finished cleaning off the old gasket on the head today so I should be done within the next week.
I'd give the renegade a solid pass imo. Too many QC problems unless you have everything to really check it over available.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 PM
James C4
Instructor

@84 4+3 I could but I'd rather buy it and return bad ones at no cost to me than port a stock manifold, which I can't do. I think @Buccaneer could help me set up a pretty good CFI build that would most likely include a Renegade intake. Outside of the renegade intake, @383vett or @Tom400CFI could probably provide a lot of good info. Idk what exactly I'll do yet, but the time for me to do other mods has yet to come so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm just going to enjoy my exhaust for now.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

@84 4+3 I could but I'd rather buy it and return bad ones at no cost to me than port a stock manifold, which I can't do. I think @Buccaneer could help me set up a pretty good CFI build that would most likely include a Renegade intake. Outside of the renegade intake, @383vett or @Tom400CFI could probably provide a lot of good info. Idk what exactly I'll do yet, but the time for me to do other mods has yet to come so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm just going to enjoy my exhaust for now.
Go through summit racing. Their customer service is second to none and if you ask they'll probably check it over for you knowing that they have a history of problems.

Quick Reply: Installing Melrose Headers on 1984 Corvette