C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C5 Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets to C4

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Papa96Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets to C4

Been awhile.
I'm still interested in replacing the front brake calipers on my '96 with C5 Z06 calipers. Looking for recommendations are who/where to purchase the adapter brackets. Thanks
Old 01-04-2019, 03:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I don't think you will gain much of anything by going to C5 front brakes. Your '96 will already have 13" front rotors and if select the right pads, you should get very similar braking performance to that of a C5. As far as the C5 Z06 calipers, the only difference between them and the base C5 calipers is the paint color.

If your car is ready for new brakes, why not buy good pads, new stock rotors, replace the flex lines with stainless braided lines and do a complete fluid flush using a DOT4 fluid such as ATE TYP200 or MOTUL.
The following 2 users liked this post by c4cruiser:
Papa96Vette (01-07-2019), Rico Muñeco (09-11-2020)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I agree the stock 96 brakes would not be different enough to warrant the expense. Only difference between base C5 and Z06 calipers is the Z06 are painted red, and from 96-97 brakes there is not a real difference. Fluid, lines, good pads are what you'd need.

I would look into C6 Z06 or other calipers if you needed increases in braking.
The following users liked this post:
Papa96Vette (01-07-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:40 AM
Mity2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I don't think you will gain much of anything by going to C5 front brakes. Your '96 will already have 13" front rotors and if select the right pads, you should get very similar braking performance to that of a C5. As far as the C5 Z06 calipers, the only difference between them and the base C5 calipers is the paint color.

If your car is ready for new brakes, why not buy good pads, new stock rotors, replace the flex lines with stainless braided lines and do a complete fluid flush using a DOT4 fluid such as ATE TYP200 or MOTUL.
I’m with you on this
I think if OP is looking to actually shorten the stopping distance, I’d spend money on high performance brake pads, brake discs, stainless steel braided brake lines with DOT4 fluid, and new sticky tires would be the way to go.

and if you want to make it look nice, you can always paint the calipers I guess.
Papa96Vette (01-07-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

tps motorsports do a conversion kit if your interested.

Papa96Vette (01-07-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:16 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

If you do switch, make sure to check the length of the wheel studs, as in how many turns it takes to tighten the lug nuts. Must be at least 5 or so, I forget the recommendation, google it.

I switched mine and changed wheel bearings at the same time, the new Timken hubs were actually a mm or two wider than the OEM. Forced me to flip the adapter and left me with 3 turns, though I also needed 4mm spacers for my new wheels. Had to add longer wheel studs.

Anyway, point is check, check and check.
Papa96Vette (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Papa96Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pad recommendation for street?
I'll make the stainless braided lines my next "Brake Up grade"
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:13 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Default C5 Brake upgrade

Papa96Vette

I just finished the front and rear C5 caliper conversions on my '37 Chevy Pro Mod Coupe. Yes it's not a Vette, But have have a C4 Convert, and two C5's One which is the 2004 ZO6 FRC La Mans. This '37 Chevy is a full custom build frame up with C4 suspension F & R, 9 inch IRS Diffy, Dual Turbo LS3 Crate & Super Mag T-56 trans, C5 Steer Column and Instrument Panel, Carbon Fiber Body & ETC. Close as I could get to a Vette body.

I'm attaching a few photos of the front and rear brake conversion, Do note the difference in the pads surface area, rear C4 to C5.. Also I'm just now working out the rear park brake addition that's lost on '88 up rear upgrade. It's just a simple bracket and modified Wilwood park brake caliper. The C5 Calipers new $250 a pair(same part front and rear), W...... SRP Rotors $100 each, I've forgotten the Tim... front and rear hubs $$. But I did drill out the spindles in the front so vert slightly to change to US tread Grade 8 Bolts, no issues re the wheel studs. No drilling required on the hubs.

The Front are pretty simple bolt on most anyone can accomplish. The Rear Caliper kit adapter "brackets" required some minor grinding for Caliper to center on the rear rotor, at the Piston area, only a very small amount with the newer and larger heat sink air fins. Still simple.

Note that 16 inch OEM wheels will not fit over the Calipers, and rumors of others in the 17 inch front issues. I'm using the polished C5 thin spoke 17's in the front and 18's in the rear, note to tight clearances. I have two sets, one for street and one front the Track as these wheels are east to find and at a very good low price...

You can use C6 13 rear rotors in the rear conversion and the air venting is opposite so that brake ducts are efficient, but that might require a little machine work to the rear C5 Caliper brackets. I'll get to that next month.

C4 & C5 braking. Let's face it,,, C4's drive and ride rough, like a true american sports car. One of the reasons that I'll never sell mine. The C5's are a more comfortable driver, and the LS engines and the cars balance is completely different. But the C4 only have two Microprocessor (computers) on board, the Engine PCM and the ABS, LESS maintenance and failures !! My C4 and a few that I've had in the past took more Foot pedal effort than my C5's, But I'm very comfortable with the OEM C4 brakes

There are kits for the W...... front brake upgrade , but put of my budget. The C5 Calipers are a two piston floating caliper and W.... four piston fixed caliper. There's also is a C4 rear W..... conversion with a separate parking brake caliper, it's too expensive me me and requires that the rear hubs etc be disassembled, quite a lot of labor. Plus their 0.80 thick rotors not the 1.25 inch as the C5's. That has always puzzled me....

i can tell you that C5 stopping power is better than the C4's, just different, Panic Stops, less pedal effort.. I have W.....4 piston Calipers, 2 piece Rotors and power booster with on my '56 Chevy. She is a bit lighter than stock with the LS1 & T-56 6 Speed, Rack Pinion with Tubular suspension parts, Panic Stops are outstanding but no better than our C5 ZO6, Neither the C5's or the '56 brake get hot and Fade. I wished that I'd installed the C5 Calipers and saved a lot of $$$$.

Bottom line, I think that the C5 caliper an rotor upgrade are a good bargain,,, esp if one is already needing rebuild.

The C4 power brake booster and master cylinder are a bit smaller in physical size than the C5 and master bore diameters are the same, at lest the parts that i have here. . When I swap My C4 brakes to the C5 upgrade, I'll delete the ABS and add a W..... rear proportioning valve like in the '56. My '56 stops absolutely straight in normal driving and panic stops.

Anyways, that's my thoughts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Capt Mike:
Papa96Vette (01-24-2019), Rico Muñeco (09-11-2020)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Photos,

here are a selection of photos.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Rico Muñeco
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 brake upgrade

I am going to agree with what most here are saying, that upgrading to base C5 & even base C6 calipers/rotors dont warrant the expense at all. Nor will there be much, if any brake performance increase. There are very slight differences between them, & especially if you are using the C4 master cylinder/booster as has been explained in detail by another member. The same applies with C5 Z06.
Not to mention the "appearance factor" is not much better.

But however, the C6 Z06 calipers / rotors are another story. C6 ZR1 could also be used, but at over $1500 per rotor may not be affordable. These not only look great, but will make a huge difference in stopping ability & brake performance. I also agree with the member who stated getting rid of ABS & using proportioning valve. Regardless, these will special brackets specific to the C6 Z06 brakes, do not confuse C4 to C5 /C6 base & C5 Z06 conversion brackets with C4 to C6 Z06 brackets. They are different!
Again as with all of them, special adapter brackets are needed, & especially if you have a manual transmission, you will need to incorporate the parking brake. This is done in 2 ways, one is a secondary small caliper for parking brake, or a custom hub assembly in which uses internal drum shoes. There's a guy on ebay doing it for about $600.
The Wilwood kit which has 6 piston/ 4 piston calipers but with C4 base size rotors, & costs some $4k. It also has the secondary rear parking brake calipers.
To do it yourself, used / refurbished C6 Z06 Calipers will cost between $900 - $1400. The rotors $300- $600 . Brackets roughly another $400, unless you can make them yourself. And then there is the parking brake issue. On automatic cars i wouldn't stress it but is mandatory for manuals.
So another $600 give or take. Now the complete conversion is about $2,500 - $4000 to do it this way. Except you get the bigger 14.4" /13.8" rotors, verse 13" / 12.8" rotors.

So now it comes down to expense & does your C4's power & performance warrant this expense?

For some like myself, it does. I have some C7 ZR1 money into my C4. And with me doing all the work myself, well except for the engine machine work. Something I'm calling the "Real C4R " project. This incorporated reworking & welding the chassis (uni -frame, not to be confused with uni-body) in which was only spot welded. This spot welding is why C4's are notorious for flexing. On top of this, completely reconfiguring the suspension. To get my C4 to handle like a C6/C7 as much as possible. Obviously there will always be some limitations that can't be worked out of the C4. The engine is a Dart 384 Stroker with forged internals, with twin turbos. A Bill Boudreau blueprinted Black label ZF6 that can handle over 1000 ft lbs of torque. Holley EFI system , AEM methanol injection. And a list of goodies. On only 10 PSI of boost, I'm at 735 HP / 840 TQ. It is over 500 ft lbs by 2k RPM. And there is much room for more. So I'm barely pushing or maxing the engine. It's a monster tho !
Besides performance, i have customed the interior, & exterior. I dont like the available body kits. The only one was the BSM body kit which was only available in Japan, & is long out of production. And so i have to make my own. I am currently working on this. The point is to also do this tastefully, & not like some of ridiculous stuff I've seen.

And no, there are no photos yet! I do not want to water down the "wow" effect, or people taking ideas. I am hoping to get the cover & centerfold of Corvette magazine, before it goes out of publication. Childhood dream i guess. I may have the one & only C4 to get back on a cover. Well i hope so anyways. Its been a long time since a C4 has been there. It's always another C6 - C8, or older C1 - C3. And I love every Corvette, i do! They are in my opinion the greatest car to ever grace the planet. Yes even more than Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Etc. As a child it was like witnessing & being in the presence something mystical & divine. I don't know how else to explain it. The "awe effect " the Corvette bestowed upon me as a child has never gone away.
But another store bought C7, with carbon fiber upgrades makes a magazine cover, or C3 with another LS swap, is kinda getting played out!
This is also why I am even going thru all of this with a C4. I don't want to be generic. I not only want to push the possibilities of the C4, but hope to inspire or remind others in what the C4 can be. Remember, the C4 made the "supercars" of the day go back to the drawing board in a panic, to rework & reconfigure alot. This is a fact! Honestly in many ways the C4 is responsible for the supercars stepping up to what they are today. It put the flame under their butts.

Anyways, sorry for getting sidetracked there, but yes my C4 warrants the expense of the brake upgrade.

The "Real C4R " is coming soon, to theaters near you. Lol!

Last edited by Rico Muñeco; 09-11-2020 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 09-11-2020, 06:30 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Everything I read here is true . If the OP wants C5 brakes.. I understand, I did the conversion on my track 94 car. Yeah, might not be much better braking (it is an improvement) but they do look good on the ZR1 type wheel or other wheels than the stock sawblades, I don't remember which vendor I bought the adapters for the the C5 Z06 calipers from but I did have the right front come loose on a track day so if you choose the C5 adapters be sure you torque them down and go heavy on the RED lock tite.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets to C4

Quick Reply: C5 Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets to C4