Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

California Exhaust system Law Change

 
Old 07-10-2019, 08:10 PM
  #81  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 16,282
Received 844 Likes on 822 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
People brew and distill alcohol illegally... we can still buy and drink beer
People speed... we can still drive
People Drink and Drive.... we still have cars and alcohol
People embezzle money... we can still have personal bank accounts
All of the above WITH CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS.

People murder... we can still have knives and bats(even in CA)
Refresh my memory on your restrictive gun laws again?

People smoke illegal substances... we can still buy and use a lighter
We can also buy paper which is used to craft forgeries so getting a little too general there?

People run illegal businesses... we should be able to have and use tools - whatever tools we need. Even those specialty ones - which isn't defined and that is always done with a purpose. The purpose is to allow some to get away with it and drop the hammers on others.
IDK about a lift. I've seen way too many people with lifts in their house who are NOT using it for someone else. I suppose the compromise is that if I ever catch you working on a car that is NOT your's on that lift, I could assume you are trying to run a business in a residential district and should be fined HEAVILY. Like I said, I have yet to see anyone owning a lift who hasn't at one time or another used it for someone's car besides their own.
I guess I am not against you having a lift. I am more against you running a side business in a residential area, especially one where it is next to me.
aklim is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 PM
  #82  
Gibbles
CF Senior Member
 
Gibbles's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 916
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I guess I am not against you having a lift. I am more against you running a side business in a residential area, especially one where it is next to me.
There is this YouTube channel where this guy paints cars, diff jobs and clearly for money.
Its a makeshift paint booth in the covered parking with the side of the house as one of the booths walls.

I have no problem with someone painting cars in their garage, but if it's every day that guy is poisoning himself, his family, and his neighbors...

Last edited by Gibbles; 07-10-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Gibbles is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:35 PM
  #83  
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
drcook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 2,255
Received 304 Likes on 274 Posts
Default

When we were first married, my wife's father was long gone. I would do stuff on the mom-in-laws car. Her brother ripped a hole in lung, had half removed, I did the brakes on his truck.

Neither lived with us, nor did I get paid, and since I have a one car garage that had my truck taken apart in it and had to work in the driveway it is still illegal in U.S.S.K. (Kalifornia).

My friends have a lift. It is for storing a car up, and one under it. I have a 36" torque wrench and a set of 3/4" drive sockets. I also have a tractor that I mow my yard with. I have a full set of micrometers, depth mics, a vernier height gauge, all those tools that the average Biff and Buffy don't have.

Now on the other hand, the neighbors of my parents house run an illegal bodyshop and the corrupt cops in that little town are complicit. In fact the chief had a talk with my son about
being a good neighbor and not calling the police. There is a protection order being filed against the PD and the neighbors. They are also (PD) being sued in Federal Court by on of the LEO's who wasn't one of "the pack".

Laws like this are used to harass people and collect money and to try to make everyone conform because "they" know how you need to live. The Democrats rule of thumb is if we don't do it and we don't like it, ban it.

Last edited by drcook; 07-10-2019 at 08:37 PM.
drcook is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 PM
  #84  
Gibbles
CF Senior Member
 
Gibbles's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 916
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

I think they need to accept that some people build rc air planes, some build trains, others restore old cars in their garage with grandpa, and others work on their own cars because mechanics are lazy and corrupt or just to afford life.
If you can, that's a massive savings!
Gibbles is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM
  #85  
DGXR
CF Senior Member
 
DGXR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,125
Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
Default

Why bother...

Last edited by DGXR; 07-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.
DGXR is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:26 AM
  #86  
KyleF
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 426
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I guess I am not against you having a lift. I am more against you running a side business in a residential area, especially one where it is next to me.
To all my points, it is ridiculous to go after the tools, especially something not defined and left so open. I am against illegal business too but, we don't make it illegal to possess other items in life that can be used for illegal actions.

In America, we are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Having a lift by itself should not cause a presumption of illegal activities.

Thought you would be against such a law... but I guess you support it. CA has great weather, you should move there. Cost of living isn't that much higher in Sacramento.

Last edited by KyleF; 07-11-2019 at 11:32 AM.
KyleF is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM
  #87  
DGXR
CF Senior Member
 
DGXR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,125
Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
Default

OK now I will bother...
I did not justify an overbearing government, I merely tried to explain or understand the reasons behind some of these dumb laws. Justify means prove right, and some of these laws are really dumb.
I did not say a lift equals heavy repairs or illegal business, I said it could mean heavy repairs... I even thanked you for not doing heavy repairs on the lift installed at your residence, and I DO AGREE you should be able to own and use a lift at your residence, inside the garage. Jesus... I don't understand what words people are hearing when I am talking to them.
DGXR is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM
  #88  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 16,282
Received 844 Likes on 822 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
To all my points, it is ridiculous to go after the tools, especially something not defined and left so open. I am against illegal business too but, we don't make it illegal to possess other items in life that can be used for illegal actions.

In America, we are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Having a lift by itself should not cause a presumption of illegal activities.

Thought you would be against such a law... but I guess you support it.

CA has great weather, you should move there. Cost of living isn't that much higher in Sacramento.
And to my point, I did say, which you failed to quote, IDK about a lift. I've seen way too many people with lifts in their house who are NOT using it for someone else. I suppose the compromise is that if I ever catch you working on a car that is NOT your's on that lift, I could assume you are trying to run a business in a residential district and should be fined HEAVILY. Like I said, I have yet to see anyone owning a lift who hasn't at one time or another used it for someone's car besides their own.

Fair enough. How far do you want to take it? IOW, where do you draw the line? Silencers? Sawn off shotgun? Fully auto? 5000 lbs bomb in my basement?

Never said I support it totally. Like I said, if you want to punish anyone for having a car they don't own on that lift, I'm fine if you want my support. So my support depends on whether you are going to simply allow everyone and anyone to have a lift whether they work on their car or anyone's car, Like I siad, I have seen too many lifts with other people's car on it to feel comfortable with a blanket "yes". I would want some enforcement to punish someone for running any sort of illegal business in my neighborhood. I don't care if you are paid in barter, cash, sex or favors. Bottom line, I am fine with YOUR cars on it and not a revolving door of cars as a side job.

Thanks but I don't really like what most people define as "great weather", cost of living be damned.

Last edited by aklim; 07-11-2019 at 01:13 PM.
aklim is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:32 PM
  #89  
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
drcook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 2,255
Received 304 Likes on 274 Posts
Default

Too much of that train of thought and you can't let your buddy come over and use your lift. He needs to tighten up the muffler or something and as a favor you let him and then you get fined, of course if he is much of a friend he becomes the f*ckee when he covers the cost of a favor.

The next step is bounties on your neighbor where you get a reward for turning them in. Instead of doing investigative / surveillance work to ensure they are getting someone running a business, they just pass a blanket law.

Where does it stop in the push for conformity. The ultimate goal is mindless robots that conform to the state.
drcook is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:28 PM
  #90  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 16,282
Received 844 Likes on 822 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by drcook View Post
Too much of that train of thought and you can't let your buddy come over and use your lift. He needs to tighten up the muffler or something and as a favor you let him and then you get fined, of course if he is much of a friend he becomes the f*ckee when he covers the cost of a favor.

The next step is bounties on your neighbor where you get a reward for turning them in. Instead of doing investigative / surveillance work to ensure they are getting someone running a business, they just pass a blanket law.

Where does it stop in the push for conformity. The ultimate goal is mindless robots that conform to the state.
And if you asked anyone who was running a shop out of his house, all the people were his buddies. Ask the hooker. She wasn't having sex for money either. They were just friends. Friends who wanted to buy her a meal but didn't have time so they gave cash.

I'd do it for the low price of not having a shop in my residential area.

This is not an issue of conformation or waving the flag and saying "Home of the free". If I were your next door neighbor, would you want me to run a party house for my friends and crank up the music every night, disco lights flashing all over, drunks staggering out, etc? Or would you be saying I can't have friends over for a party? Friends who either give me a few bucks to cover the booze or do me favors since I "invited" them to my house for a party?
aklim is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:48 PM
  #91  
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
drcook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 2,255
Received 304 Likes on 274 Posts
Default

Nothing was said about cars in and out. Nothing about a business. A few posts back I said my family was dealing with just such a situation. That family got fined 10K but they still do it.

I simply said it can get to the point where you let one friend use it and your d*cked. Or as I said before, I have a 1 car garage, so you can't work on the mom in laws car in the driveway or the other car, etc.

I am glad I don't live in a neighborhood such as that or where you live. The next door neighbors have chickens, there is a stable down the road. We used to have horses out back. A few years ago the other neighbor's cows were in my backyard.

Nothing was hurt. My travel trailer is in the driveway. Other neighbors have boats, campers. People are polite, help each other. Not these places where they are always looking for something to complain about.

The neighbor lady lives by herself. Couldn't get the grass mowed due to all the rain. It wasn't mowed at all this year. In your neighborhood and I bet you would be calling the city, calling the cops. Around here I waited until it was dry enough this week to finally get my tractor into there and cut the grass as low as I could. Today I saw another neighbor helping out finishing it up.

It is sad what certain areas of this country have become.

Eventually I might need to put my car up on my friend's rack. Mine would be the first. So he should be fined ?
drcook is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 PM
  #92  
golden2husky
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Posts: 598
Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

...they banned plastic bags at the store for "Environmental" reason. It backfired horribly. Plastic use went up! People had to actually buy baggies and trash bags (made of heavier plastic) for such functions as cleaning up dog poop, small trash liners, and lunch bags...

Where I live in Suffolk, the county added a 5 cent charge for plastic supermarket bags. The main driver was the litter they can create by a-holes who toss stuff in the street. The stores get to keep the nickels. Bag usage dropped 70%!!! I sometimes use the disposable bags from the supermarket for the pets and kitchen waste but most of the time I use the free reusable bags Toyota gives out at the NY car show. The problem you mentioned is that they actually banned them. Very interesting to note that a tiny charge resulted in a dramatic reduction in use. A mother comes into Stop and Shop an lays out $300 for groceries but wants to save the 40 cents that the bags cost. Odd behavior, indeed.

Last edited by golden2husky; 07-11-2019 at 06:36 PM.
golden2husky is offline  
The following users liked this post:
KyleF (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 PM
  #93  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 16,282
Received 844 Likes on 822 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by drcook View Post
I simply said it can get to the point where you let one friend use it and your d*cked. Or as I said before, I have a 1 car garage, so you can't work on the mom in laws car in the driveway or the other car, etc.

I am glad I don't live in a neighborhood such as that or where you live. The next door neighbors have chickens, there is a stable down the road. We used to have horses out back. A few years ago the other neighbor's cows were in my backyard.

Nothing was hurt. My travel trailer is in the driveway. Other neighbors have boats, campers. People are polite, help each other. Not these places where they are always looking for something to complain about.

The neighbor lady lives by herself. Couldn't get the grass mowed due to all the rain. It wasn't mowed at all this year. In your neighborhood and I bet you would be calling the city, calling the cops. Around here I waited until it was dry enough this week to finally get my tractor into there and cut the grass as low as I could. Today I saw another neighbor helping out finishing it up.

It is sad what certain areas of this country have become.

Eventually I might need to put my car up on my friend's rack. Mine would be the first. So he should be fined ?
I understand what you are saying. I agree that you feel that if one friend gets to use it and you get fined, you are pissed. My question is "how many friends would be ok?". 5? 10, 50? 500? How do you draw a line so you can have any of your legit friends over and I can't have any of my "friends" over?

I don't find the benefits of country living outweigh what I have in a subdivision but that is me. I'm not saying that it is bad, just that the pros don't outweigh the cons THAT I CARE ABOUT. Obviously, your likes and dislikes are different which is fine.

Exactly. Nothing was hurt. But if something was, I'll bet IN YOUR OPINION, your attitude would be different. I don't see it as something to complain about. As I said, I'm not comfortable with someone running a business, be it cash, favors or whatever form of payment, in a residential area. Businesses attract some issues. We live in close proximity to each other so it becomes a bigger issue than if you do something 5 miles away.

Seriously? If we are good friends and something you are doing has a negative effect on me, I'd gently inform you or maybe help you out. OTOH, if I don't know you, what do you expect? Shove my face into your's and tell you something? Thanks but no thanks. BTDT more than once in my youth and didn't like the response so I'll definitely "drop a dime on you" and let some other person whose salary I am partially responsible for handle it.

Not really. You choose to live there, you take the good with the bad. If it is that bad, move away. I did. As I said, there are aspects of the country living I do like but this isn't a buffet where you get to take a little of this and a little of that and make a meal. Kinda like marriage. You take the good with the bad. If the package has more bad than good IN YOUR OPINION, you leave the package. I don't like EVERYTHING about living in the city but IMO, it is better than country living so I choose to live nearer to the cities in a subdivision as opposed to the inner cities or the countryside. Matter of preference as to how much city or country you can stand.

Good question. Here is my answer. It should be tolerated as much as you can stand when others gore YOUR sacred Oxen.
aklim is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 PM
  #94  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 16,282
Received 844 Likes on 822 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golden2husky View Post
A mother comes into Stop and Shop an lays out $300 for groceries but wants to save the 40 cents that the bags cost. Odd behavior, indeed.
After Katrina when gas prices spiked, people were dumping their paid for SUVs for a lower sticker shock at the pump. Didn't matter that the SUV was paid for or that the new car has higher insurance and a car payment and their SUV gets lousy resale. IT HAD TO GO NOW!!! Used car lots were having tons of SUV trade ins. With the devalued SUV trade in, the car payment they were incurring and the increased insurance, I am really not sure how long it would take to recover the difference if they had kept their SUV, if at all. We did the estimate and we would take at least 3 years to break even unless we put tons of miles.
aklim is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 PM
  #95  
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Posts: 69,051
Received 1,275 Likes on 1,164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default

Went inside last night lisetened...guess ihave to put pussified muffs on. Its loud. Wahhh....

cuisinartvette is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:09 AM
  #96  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 16,282
Received 844 Likes on 822 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Went inside last night lisetened...guess ihave to put pussified muffs on. Its loud. Wahhh....
True but if it makes you feel like less of a man, it might be overall better for you to keep it loud.
aklim is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:01 AM
  #97  
KyleF
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 426
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golden2husky View Post
...they banned plastic bags at the store for "Environmental" reason. It backfired horribly. Plastic use went up! People had to actually buy baggies and trash bags (made of heavier plastic) for such functions as cleaning up dog poop, small trash liners, and lunch bags...

Where I live in Suffolk, the county added a 5 cent charge for plastic supermarket bags. The main driver was the litter they can create by a-holes who toss stuff in the street. The stores get to keep the nickels. Bag usage dropped 70%!!! I sometimes use the disposable bags from the supermarket for the pets and kitchen waste but most of the time I use the free reusable bags Toyota gives out at the NY car show. The problem you mentioned is that they actually banned them. Very interesting to note that a tiny charge resulted in a dramatic reduction in use. A mother comes into Stop and Shop an lays out $300 for groceries but wants to save the 40 cents that the bags cost. Odd behavior, indeed.
Yes, when I first moved there, there was a charge. I didn't much like it, but whether you pay for it at the register or in prices on the shelf to the owners operating cost, you paid for it. Yes, usage was down and the problem arose from a ban.

The odd behavior is explainable by a lack of critical thinking skills and shortsightedness. I hate to say it, but I really think the average American has been dumbed down by design.

Case in point:

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
After Katrina when gas prices spiked, people were dumping their paid for SUVs for a lower sticker shock at the pump. Didn't matter that the SUV was paid for or that the new car has higher insurance and a car payment and their SUV gets lousy resale. IT HAD TO GO NOW!!! Used car lots were having tons of SUV trade ins. With the devalued SUV trade in, the car payment they were incurring and the increased insurance, I am really not sure how long it would take to recover the difference if they had kept their SUV, if at all. We did the estimate and we would take at least 3 years to break even unless we put tons of miles.
This is exactly what I saw too. It was ridiculous.
KyleF is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 AM
  #98  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 16,282
Received 844 Likes on 822 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
Yes, when I first moved there, there was a charge. I didn't much like it, but whether you pay for it at the register or in prices on the shelf to the owners operating cost, you paid for it. Yes, usage was down and the problem arose from a ban.

The odd behavior is explainable by a lack of critical thinking skills and shortsightedness. I hate to say it, but I really think the average American has been dumbed down by design.

Case in point:



This is exactly what I saw too. It was ridiculous.
I estimate that when they have a choice, people will "vote themselves a raise" rather than work for it. People are people and basically bad.
aklim is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM
  #99  
KyleF
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 426
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
OK now I will bother...
I did not justify an overbearing government, I merely tried to explain or understand the reasons behind some of these dumb laws. Justify means prove right, and some of these laws are really dumb.
You were justifying, you are just short on your definition: Justifying - show or prove to be right or reasonable. You were trying to show it being a reasonable law. Still are. It is a stupid vague law that will bite a lot of people in the butt.

Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
I did not say a lift equals heavy repairs or illegal business, I said it could mean heavy repairs...
What you actually said is:

Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
I think their reasoning is that permanent installation of a vehicle lift at a private residence is a good sign that frequent and/or heavy repairs are being done.
That is justifying... making it sound reasonable.


Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
I even thanked you for not doing heavy repairs on the lift installed at your residence
Who me? That is very interesting because...
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Jesus... I don't understand what words people are hearing when I am talking to them.
Did I say I had a lift or are you talking about a lift to someone else? I don't have one, sure wish I did... have friends with them. My garage ceiling height unfortunately prevents such an instillation.

Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
and I DO AGREE you should be able to own and use a lift at your residence, inside the garage
Well you can't any longer. I am not sure why this ended up being about lifts so much... I am more concerned about the smaller items that may be deemed "uncommon". Like even a pressure/vacuum bleeder. You should be too if you do ANYTHING to you car.

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
And to my point, I did say, which you failed to quote, IDK about a lift. I've seen way too many people with lifts in their house who are NOT using it for someone else. I suppose the compromise is that if I ever catch you working on a car that is NOT your's on that lift, I could assume you are trying to run a business in a residential district and should be fined HEAVILY. Like I said, I have yet to see anyone owning a lift who hasn't at one time or another used it for someone's car besides their own.
So what if someone else's car is on there. Maybe it is my brother, cousin, best friends. How would you know. The burden is supposed to be on the authorities to investigate. Gather evidence, and be able to prove in a court of law that you have violated the law. Not drive buy and see some tools (or items) that may be used in breaking a law and "ASSUME" you are breaking a law. Our legal system is defined to operate the exact opposite. Innocent until PROVEN guilty.


Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Fair enough. How far do you want to take it? IOW, where do you draw the line? Silencers? Sawn off shotgun? Fully auto? 5000 lbs bomb in my basement?
Interesting angle. I didn't mention guns, because of their special set of laws pertaining to just them. I actually chose knives and bats for just this reason. However, to my point, the possession of one of the weapons you mentioned does not in and of itself dictate you used it to violate the law. Possession of said weapons is a violation of a law(s) itself. The comparison of the weapons to lifts and specialty tools for working on cars that you propose results in the comparison of mass murder to running an illegal repair business is absurdity.

So where do I draw the line? I draw the line at a burden of proof. If the authorities have the proof from investigating to prove you are running an illegal business, then they should act on it. So to your argument, I don't take issue with what weapons people own, until there is proof they shouldn't. Proof they shouldn't own weapons in today's legal system is documented psychological issues, previous violent offenses, threats, and other poor behaviors. Again, basically innocent until proven otherwise.

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Never said I support it totally. Like I said, if you want to punish anyone for having a car they don't own on that lift, I'm fine if you want my support. So my support depends on whether you are going to simply allow everyone and anyone to have a lift whether they work on their car or anyone's car, Like I siad, I have seen too many lifts with other people's car on it to feel comfortable with a blanket "yes". I would want some enforcement to punish someone for running any sort of illegal business in my neighborhood. I don't care if you are paid in barter, cash, sex or favors. Bottom line, I am fine with YOUR cars on it and not a revolving door of cars as a side job.
Just to be totally clear. I think it is a blanket yes because there are no reasons to regulate a lift. Still not sure why everyone is so focused on lifts, I am more concerned about small specialty tools. However, I will expand on my thoughts on the lift. I think it would be pretty obvious between hobby owned and being used to generate income. A person's car who is not registered at the address the lift is located is on the lift means nothing. Could be a family member or friends car. Could be a guy you know from the forums. I would support having to acquire a permit for installation and having to have it stickered from an inspection to verify it was installed properly.

Now if you see a person during normal working hours, day after day, with different cars... or even every evening, weekends, etc and there is constantly different cars... that is the big red flag. This should also be pretty easy to prove in court. If over the course of 2 or 3 months you see a constant cycle of cars... yup! It would be easy for neighbors or authorities to gather this information. I will not get on board with just the occasional car and especially not getting caught doing it once, meaning anything. Even if in an enclosed garage, obtaining video or pictures of various cars constantly being moved in and out would be able to get a search warrant.

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
This is not an issue of conformation or waving the flag and saying "Home of the free". If I were your next door neighbor, would you want me to run a party house for my friends and crank up the music every night, disco lights flashing all over, drunks staggering out, etc? Or would you be saying I can't have friends over for a party? Friends who either give me a few bucks to cover the booze or do me favors since I "invited" them to my house for a party?
Golden.

We have laws regulating such behavior, noise ordinances related to hours where you can make such level's of noise. Same as we have laws regulating the operation of business. Not being able to run a party house, doesn't prevent you from having company over and having a few drinks. This law says because people run illegal businesses (late night parties) you can't have certain tools (friends over).

Also, just because hookers exists (illegal businesses) doesn't mean the act of giving a female friend money (the tools) is automatically illegal. There still remains a burden of proof that an exchange of value for sex must occur for a law to be broken.


Just to circle back to the original law on this thread about exhaust. Where I live, we still have regulations on sound level. Much like saying the possession of certain tools dictates you are doing something illegal, just having a modified exhaust does not dictate that it is illegal. It has to violate the noise level statute to be illegal. In all cases, that is my point. Simply having something associated with violating the law should not dictate you have. I am sure we can all think of something that has no purpose other than to break the law, but that does not pertain to guns, exhaust, tools, or people at your house. There are plenty of other reasons to validate these.

Last edited by KyleF; 07-12-2019 at 10:14 AM.
KyleF is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 PM
  #100  
aklim
CF Senior Member
 
aklim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford WI
Posts: 16,282
Received 844 Likes on 822 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
So what if someone else's car is on there. Maybe it is my brother, cousin, best friends. How would you know. The burden is supposed to be on the authorities to investigate. Gather evidence, and be able to prove in a court of law that you have violated the law. Not drive buy and see some tools (or items) that may be used in breaking a law and "ASSUME" you are breaking a law. Our legal system is defined to operate the exact opposite. Innocent until PROVEN guilty.




Interesting angle. I didn't mention guns, because of their special set of laws pertaining to just them. I actually chose knives and bats for just this reason. However, to my point, the possession of one of the weapons you mentioned does not in and of itself dictate you used it to violate the law. Possession of said weapons is a violation of a law(s) itself. The comparison of the weapons to lifts and specialty tools for working on cars that you propose results in the comparison of mass murder to running an illegal repair business is absurdity.

So where do I draw the line? I draw the line at a burden of proof. If the authorities have the proof from investigating to prove you are running an illegal business, then they should act on it. So to your argument, I don't take issue with what weapons people own, until there is proof they shouldn't. Proof they shouldn't own weapons in today's legal system is documented psychological issues, previous violent offenses, threats, and other poor behaviors. Again, basically innocent until proven otherwise.



Just to be totally clear. I think it is a blanket yes because there are no reasons to regulate a lift. Still not sure why everyone is so focused on lifts, I am more concerned about small specialty tools. However, I will expand on my thoughts on the lift. I think it would be pretty obvious between hobby owned and being used to generate income. A person's car who is not registered at the address the lift is located is on the lift means nothing. Could be a family member or friends car. Could be a guy you know from the forums. I would support having to acquire a permit for installation and having to have it stickered from an inspection to verify it was installed properly.

Now if you see a person during normal working hours, day after day, with different cars... or even every evening, weekends, etc and there is constantly different cars... that is the big red flag. This should also be pretty easy to prove in court. If over the course of 2 or 3 months you see a constant cycle of cars... yup! It would be easy for neighbors or authorities to gather this information. I will not get on board with just the occasional car and especially not getting caught doing it once, meaning anything. Even if in an enclosed garage, obtaining video or pictures of various cars constantly being moved in and out would be able to get a search warrant.



Golden.

We have laws regulating such behavior, noise ordinances related to hours where you can make such level's of noise. Same as we have laws regulating the operation of business. Not being able to run a party house, doesn't prevent you from having company over and having a few drinks. This law says because people run illegal businesses (late night parties) you can't have certain tools (friends over).

Also, just because hookers exists (illegal businesses) doesn't mean the act of giving a female friend money (the tools) is automatically illegal. There still remains a burden of proof that an exchange of value for sex must occur for a law to be broken.


Just to circle back to the original law on this thread about exhaust. Where I live, we still have regulations on sound level. Much like saying the possession of certain tools dictates you are doing something illegal, just having a modified exhaust does not dictate that it is illegal. It has to violate the noise level statute to be illegal. In all cases, that is my point. Simply having something associated with violating the law should not dictate you have. I am sure we can all think of something that has no purpose other than to break the law, but that does not pertain to guns, exhaust, tools, or people at your house. There are plenty of other reasons to validate these.
What is so complicated. I see cars that aren't your's, I take a few pictures, send it to the authorities and they swing by, see a car that isn't registered to you, write you a ticket. As to the construction, I don't care if you build a lift and duct taped it to the floor. That's between you and the building inspector. You said it was for your own use, keep it that way. Once you go on that slippery slope of exceptions, it never ends. Cop comes there, sees a car that isn't registered to you, no argument. Brother's, Father's, BFF, GF, etc. Otherwise it gets into a whole long story of "This is my good friend.......", "This is my so and so....". Build a lift or 2 lifts. Structure is between you and the building inspector. Like I said, I'd support a ticket for any vehicle not your's. It also satisfies the "presumption of guilt by ownership". You are innocent so no concern about what you build and you said it was for your personal vehicles. Someone reports you, the cops investigate and see a vehicle on the lift that isn't your's, you are guilty and tagged.

Just like the exhaust. Cop think's it is over the limit, he has a meter, it is over whatever the decibel limit is, you get a ticket. I was running home after disconnecting the exhaust since I needed the shop to take it off and drove home to put the new one in. Cop saw me, checked it out and I can't argue with that ticket and say "Well, I was on the way home and....".

Last edited by aklim; 07-12-2019 at 02:43 PM.
aklim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California Exhaust system Law Change


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: