C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

All power cuts off when the key is turned..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:04 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Default All power cuts off when the key is turned..

Hey Guys, been a min since I posted but I'm having a very very weird problem on my LT4. When I go to turn the key and start the car, all the power is cut off when I turn the key to start. All power is cut, no interior lights, no dash, no power to anything. It remains this way for about 1 min, then power returns and I can start the car. To me it seemed like a grounding issue, when the starter demands amps/current there is a ground that is bad causing this issue. I checked all the grounds and completely removed and cleaned the main ground for the ECU located just above the oil filter housing. After cleaning all the contacts I went to start the car, same issue. So now that I have cleaned the contacts and verified that my batt (yellow top optima) was in good condition with 12.53 volts, that do not drop when I start the car.

Im fresh out of ideas, but I know there are some seriously smart guys on this forum and am hoping someone may have experienced this before? or could possibly help me out?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Hey Guys, been a min since I posted but I'm having a very very weird problem on my LT4. When I go to turn the key and start the car, all the power is cut off when I turn the key to start. All power is cut, no interior lights, no dash, no power to anything. It remains this way for about 1 min, then power returns and I can start the car. To me it seemed like a grounding issue, when the starter demands amps/current there is a ground that is bad causing this issue. I checked all the grounds and completely removed and cleaned the main ground for the ECU located just above the oil filter housing. After cleaning all the contacts I went to start the car, same issue. So now that I have cleaned the contacts and verified that my batt (yellow top optima) was in good condition with 12.53 volts, that do not drop when I start the car.

Im fresh out of ideas, but I know there are some seriously smart guys on this forum and am hoping someone may have experienced this before? or could possibly help me out?
Have you considered Pass-key? I'm not sure if those are the correct symptoms or not, but read up on it in your owners manual and try cleaning the resistor (or try the other key if you have two).

Last edited by markKlein; 01-10-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
AgentEran (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Check the positive connections as well and make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.
AgentEran (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:42 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Check the positive connections as well and make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.
AgentEran (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimLentz
I think this is worth checking out, I did remove and reinstall the negative batt post. I checked the positive and it was tight, but this does not mean there isnt an issue. When I get home tonight I will remove the positive and make sure its right, bc I do have a spacer on it. I once had a pu truck that did this, and your post made me remember. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

It was the positive terminal on the battery. I have a couple amps for the radio, which necessitates the use of a longer side post bolt and a spacer, like this:

Name:  pHUIeNY.png
Views: 123
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  aAmcrIp.png
Views: 126
Size:  205.6 KB

Well apparently this set up was a little loose on the battery side. Tightened it up and issue has ceased to be!

Thank you very much fellas!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:53 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
It was the positive terminal on the battery. I have a couple amps for the radio, which necessitates the use of a longer side post bolt and a spacer, like this:

Well apparently this set up was a little loose on the battery side. Tightened it up and issue has ceased to be!

Thank you very much fellas!

Get notified of new replies

To All power cuts off when the key is turned..

Quick Reply: All power cuts off when the key is turned..