C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No more low beam??

Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 PM
V4racer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more low beam??

I recently purchased my first Corvette as a father/son project. I noticed driving home in the dark that the high beams were on and I am unable to put them on low beam. The multifunction switch doesn’t seem to be switching anything. Would this be in the switch or something Broken in the column? I look forward to being a part of this family Thank you! Vinny
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Do you hear click as lever is cycled? Is column or dimmer lever "flopping" about? If so, top of column needs fixed first. The dimmer switch is mounted on the left side of the column. If you remove panels under column it can be accessed. There is a rod from T.S. pivot to dimmer switch you should be able to feel it actuate dimmer switch. Rod should feel firmly in place, but not bound until actuated. You can also cycle dimmer switch with your fingers, if not dimmer. If rod feels loose switch could be mis adjusted. If not top of column needs taken apart and inspected.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Another possibility is if your car has aftermarket LED headlights. On some years, turning on the fog lights will force the headlights into high beam regardless of the selector switch. If this is the case there are a couple of fixes, do a search for circuit doctor, there's a thread all about this.

And WELCOME!
Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 AM
V4racer
Heel & Toe

Default No more low beam??

No LED lights.. not yet at least! I went out to the corvette and checked to see if there’s any clicking sounds and there are not. Although it pull all the way forward, it is as if it can’t pull far enough forward to reset to low beam. When I look in the the column and watch what happens I see the back
(closest to the engine) part of the piece that the multifunction lever is plugged into moves out away from the center of the column toward me as if something is broken in it. I e never had a Corvette and don’t know anyone with one locally yet to see if theirs does it too. Can anyone here please check theirs? Thank you in advance!

Last edited by V4racer; 01-12-2019 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer 2nd post question
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM
sprink94
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by V4racer
No LED lights.. not yet at least! I went out to the corvette and checked to see if there’s any clicking sounds and there are not. Although it pull all the way forward, it is as if it can’t pull far enough forward to reset to low beam. When I look in the the column and watch what happens I see the back
(closest to the engine) part of the piece that the multifunction lever is plugged into moves out away from the center of the column toward me as if something is broken in it. I e never had a Corvette and don’t know anyone with one locally yet to see if theirs does it too. Can anyone here please check theirs? Thank you in advance!
I have the same problem on my '94 and will share with you what I learn.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by V4racer
You should be able to 'defeat' HIGH and force LOW by just removing the left side hush panel and using the rod on the column to actuate the switch. The actual issue can be a couple different things. This wouldn't be a 'fix' unless you found that the rod had become detached from the switch, switch misadjustment but I'd think you could get to LOW. In this post there's a very good somewhat 'generic' of the later C4 tilt with components ID'd. You shouldn't have any trouble defeating at least HIGH. If the link doesn't auto connect go to post #21.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598602804
Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 PM
V4racer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You should be able to 'defeat' HIGH and force LOW by just removing the left side hush panel and using the rod on the column to actuate the switch. The actual issue can be a couple different things. This wouldn't be a 'fix' unless you found that the rod had become detached from the switch, switch misadjustment but I'd think you could get to LOW. In this post there's a very good somewhat 'generic' of the later C4 tilt with components ID'd. You shouldn't have any trouble defeating at least HIGH. If the link doesn't auto connect go to post #21.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598602804
Originally Posted by sprink94
I have the same problem on my '94 and will share with you what I learn.
Thank you both for your help. I will ask wait to hear how you make out on yours before I replace mine but will also check into the ability to put it on low beam from underneath the dash in the mean time

Get notified of new replies

To No more low beam??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No more low beam??