C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:28 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Drag Radials

Has anyone ran the Nitto 555R on the rear and run at the tracK? specifically the 245/45-17. I am picking up a set of C5 Z06 wheels(replica) to mount them on that are 17x8.5 I have been doing a bit of research and seems like the way to go as far as drag radials. don't go bigger then you need to. My car being a stalled auto with only 318whp I think the 245 should be plenty of traction. it currently does well(1.7 60') on street tires. 2 reasons not to choose the 275/40-17 (imo) is min. recommended wheel width is 9.0 and I feel it may be too much tire. if you don't need it then it's dragging you down (Grumpy Jenkins). thoughts?

Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

….. If you're serious about drag racing , buy Mickey T's or Hoosiers … the Nitto's are OK for the street …..
Old 01-11-2019, 08:21 AM
TravisSchoech
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I ran the nitto NT555r for a while. Couldn't stand them, no grip when cold, marginal when warm, greasy when hot.

I run the falken RT615K on the front. Very confidence inspiring, but they wont last long with a 200TW rating.

On the rear, I went to a toyo R888r and couldn't be happier. Some people complain about the road noise, honestly I wouldn't know, my car is too loud. All I know is that they grip like you just did a water box burnout all the damn time. I love them.

I run C5Z06 wheels, so the rears are 18x10.5, fronts are 17x9.5 just FYI

Meaty Toyo R888r's next to the falken RT615K's
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

If you are picking up a pair of C5 Z06 repro Wheels the stock front wheel size is 17 x 9.5 not 17 x 8.5. You may want to rethink your drag Radial size. Also speaking about drag radials M/T S/S drag radials will hook much better than the Nitto 555R’s. You will also be able to drive on them to and from the dragstrip. Of course as long as you don’t get caught on a rain storm. Lol.

Last edited by Turbo Bob; 01-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Wharf Rat
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ran about a dozen sets of those on various cars since they came out. If you want only 1 set of tires for the street and strip they are a great street tire that you can take to the track. They are not horrible in the rain till you get below about 50% tread then they get sketchy fast. Depending on how much time you spend in the burnout box and how much you care about being able to drive in the rain you CAN get 10k miles out of them (or you can burn them up in 5k miles). I am going to order another set for my Z06 wheels when I finally pull the trigger on them.

If this is for a dedicated track wheel set there are far better options for a true drag radial. Mickey T's were my favorite DR when I was racing a lot. The other Nitto DR is better at the track than the 555R, too.

Also, worth noting that these run very narrow. If your wheels really are 8.5 the 275 would probably fit perfectly.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 AM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of M/T Drag Radials, and I get 1.5X's 60ft, and on the street tires (Sumitomo) If the track is prep, I get 1.6X's You're not far from Atco , they always prep the track.
Randy
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
I have ran about a dozen sets of those on various cars since they came out. If you want only 1 set of tires for the street and strip they are a great street tire that you can take to the track. They are not horrible in the rain till you get below about 50% tread then they get sketchy fast. Depending on how much time you spend in the burnout box and how much you care about being able to drive in the rain you CAN get 10k miles out of them (or you can burn them up in 5k miles). I am going to order another set for my Z06 wheels when I finally pull the trigger on them.

If this is for a dedicated track wheel set there are far better options for a true drag radial. Mickey T's were my favorite DR when I was racing a lot. The other Nitto DR is better at the track than the 555R, too.

Also, worth noting that these run very narrow. If your wheels really are 8.5 the 275 would probably fit perfectly.
My my use for the drag radials are about six trips to the track in the summer maybe more both of them on the day of and drive it to the track I don't have a lot of horsepower and like I mentioned the car actually houpt pretty good with street tires I don't need much more than that I had Mickey Thompson ET streets on my Camaro and they hopedh fantastic. I've just read and saw videos of so much good of the nittos unless I get caught in the rain coming home from the track the car will never be on the road in the rain. The nittos are $140 cheaper which is nice
Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by TravisSchoech
I ran the nitto NT555r for a while. Couldn't stand them, no grip when cold, marginal when warm, greasy when hot.

I run the falken RT615K on the front. Very confidence inspiring, but they wont last long with a 200TW rating.

On the rear, I went to a toyo R888r and couldn't be happier. Some people complain about the road noise, honestly I wouldn't know, my car is too loud. All I know is that they grip like you just did a water box burnout all the damn time. I love them.

That that looks like way too much grip from my car I just need something that's a little better then street tires
Old 01-11-2019, 11:45 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by rlane5
I have a set of M/T Drag Radials, and I get 1.5X's 60ft, and on the street tires (Sumitomo) If the track is prep, I get 1.6X's You're not far from Atco , they always prep the track.
Randy
Yes yes Atco is my go-to track
Old 01-11-2019, 11:47 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbo Bob
If you are picking up a pair of C5 Z06 repro Wheels the stock front wheel size is 17 x 9.5 not 17 x 8.5. You may want to rethink your drag Radial size. Also speaking about drag radials M/T S/S drag radials will hook much better than the Nitto 555R’s. You will also be able to drive on them to and from the dragstrip. Of course as long as you don’t get caught on a rain storm. Lol.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:51 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by C409
….. If you're serious about drag racing , buy Mickey T's or Hoosiers … the Nitto's are OK for the street …..
I used to run ET street radials but they got replaced by the ss. This is feedback on the SS from a guy in our car clubs race page .

ImI hearing so much good and bad about both.

​If there only for the track, DONT waste your money on the M/T SS tire. I raced with that tire in Ultra Street on the best prepped track in the country, South Georgia Duck Radial Race. They SUCK not one car in Ultra street uses that tire. You get a 100 pound weight brake if you run that tire and nobody does. They stay a 100 pounds heavier and use the M/T ET Street R, its DOT legal and twice the tire for racing the SS is. I dont knock many products but that tire is terrible for racing no matter how good the track prep is. We changed everthing around on my car to try and make them work, spin spin spin. Changed tires and went 1.26 60 foot first pass wheels in the air. I know of plenty of people that will tell you the same story. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. If you dont need DOT legal use the M/T Pro Bracket Radial. I have a set too, will hook in a swamp. LOL
MT et street radial .255's .1.54 60'
​​​​​​
Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbo Bob

Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by TravisSchoech

According according to their site the 888r . Is a road race tire? Not what I am looking for they're showing this as their. Drag radial
Old 01-11-2019, 01:16 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Whats the tread depth on the proxes heard good things about them? Use the M/T 3753r love em go down the fwy just fine
See a lot of guys recommend those road race tires they dont work as a drag radial, get the right ones or dont bother.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Whats the tread depth on the proxes heard good things about them? Use the M/T 3753r love em go down the fwy just fine
See a lot of guys recommend those road race tires they dont work as a drag radial, get the right ones or dont bother.
Yes yes I'm only interested in drag radials not read race tires and as far as highway use I'm not concerned with how they perform on the highway or in the rain or on the road for that matter they will only be bolted on to drive the diss track make 6 passes driving back home and unbolt them I have different wheels a good street tires I am happy with for road use

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Radials

Quick Reply: Drag Radials