C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Doors stick closed in cold weather

Old 01-13-2019, 01:56 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Doors stick closed in cold weather

The hinges are lightly greased with lithium grease and seems like either hinges or weather strips sticking as in the front of the door. What to put on them so they don't stick shut in cold weather if out over night?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:28 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Silicon grease will work on weather strip to prevent freeze up.

My problem is water getting to the door/sill carpets and freezing them together.
The temp solution was to tape some thin plastic onto the door carpet and it's working so far.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:47 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Silicon grease will work on weather strip to prevent freeze up.

My problem is water getting to the door/sill carpets and freezing them together.
The temp solution was to tape some thin plastic onto the door carpet and it's working so far.
The opens to about 3 or 4 inches and seems to bind at the very front. I am afraid to pull any harder to be honest. I have tried silicone grease last year and sort of helped on from door weather strips. Tomorrow it is going to be above freezing just barely. I will hook the hose up to warm water and hose the area down and in the gap between the hood and door at the front of the door. Will try your trick when I get it open. I need to get the hood open to charge the battery as I have not used the car in a couple of months and need to get it in the garage for the winter. I will try your fix until I get the car inside though once I get it open.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

This is most likely the rubber trim sticking sticking to the door. Fix this by silicone lubing (which you are doing} the rubber trim, then wax the door area, then silicone lube it where the door touches the rubber trim. That will do it.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 01-14-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
This is most likely the rubber trim sticking sticking to the door. Fix this by silicone lubing (which you are doing} the rubber trim, then wax the door area, then silicone lube it where the door touches the rubber trim. That will do it.
Got it open and looks to be the bottom door gasket is in tough shape. I would think if frozen shut the gasket is leaking to let the water in to begin with. Will lube it up good for now and wax the door jamb with several coats of wax.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:57 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

My Challenger has the auto up/down windows due to being a true coupe. Unfortunately, she has to sit outside in Michigan because the CE and IROC are in the garage. It freezes all the time at the bottom of the window sill at the window felt between the upper door and window. All the crap that hits the window rolls down against it. This prevents the electric motor from moving the window, and the window recesses into the molding and relies on the up/down for proper sealing. It is a PITA.

Of course, this is different with your Corvette, but same situation. On mornings when this happens. I just fill up a large cup of hot tap water and lightly pour it into the areas of concern. Then... it frees up. Might work better for you than trying to pre-treat it. It all depends on what is causing it. I know mine is creating an ice dam. Putting silicon on it, didn't prevent it at all, and left streaks on my window. So, when it happens... I just go back inside and get warm water... warm, not hot. And pour slowly. Just want to free up the ice, not thermal shock it.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

My Pontiac does what you describe and yes warm water fixes that. The door was at the very bottom and no matter what I tried I could not get the warm water to the right place.

Get notified of new replies

To Doors stick closed in cold weather

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doors stick closed in cold weather