C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:16 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Long tube headers

I have been searching for long tube headers lately because I am buying them this summer for my 85. I’m looking at any headers at or below $500. I was explaining on getting the hedman elite headers but I found this OBX headers thread where people are saying how good of quality they are. So I’m was wondering do you guys think the hedman elites or the OBX headers would be better. I wasn’t planning on getting obx because they are eBay headers but I actually started to vote toward getting them because I read this thread about the quality and they even have all air pump hookups and everything. From the pictures they look just like chrome because they are stainless steel too. Here is a link to the thread on the headers. I know I would need header bolts and gaskets because the gaskets hat come with them aren’t good.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...x-headers.html
The following users liked this post:
mackeyred96 (04-26-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:24 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I was also asking this now because I was planning on getting an air pump delete kit soon but if I am getting the obx ones then I won’t get the air pump delete. I also thought the obx may be better because they are stainless instead of coated like Hedmans. The only thing I heard very bad is that they are hard to install but I will be taking them to an exhaust shop so it will be their job. Here’s a couple pictures of OBX headers, I think these were on an lt1.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:28 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

recent thread with a similar car. OBX are "made in China"....you get what you pay for and if the exhaust shop has to bang away to get them to fit, well you'll pay on the back end

If I were you I'd look at Melrose, TPIS or maybe EM (they're on ebay)

Last edited by vette196; 01-15-2019 at 04:29 PM.
dizwiz24 (12-04-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I was wrong it’s actually these headers which say phab brand but I thought they look good from the pictures and reviews I read about phab online. I just thought the stainless might be better than coated headers and they are only $325 so I wondered if I should try them or not. I was planning on emailing the seller and asking the flange and pipe thickness but I figured I would see whatever you guys thought about them first. If you think the Herman elites would be better then I will just get the air pump delete and put it on there for it to be ready to install the Hedmans in the summer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-91-Chevy...4383.l4275.c10

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 01-15-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Click on the feedback of the seller, click the "negatives" some are about the product not the seller
Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 CRVET
I was wrong it’s actually these headers which say phab brand but I thought they look good from the pictures and reviews I read about phab online. I just thought the stainless might be better than coated headers and they are only $325 so I wondered if I should try them or not. I was planning on emailing the seller and asking the flange and pipe thickness but I figured I would see whatever you guys thought about them first. If you think the Herman elites would be better then I will just get the air pump delete and put it on there for it to be ready to install the Hedmans in the summer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-91-Chevy...4383.l4275.c10
Looking at the pictures of the headers (from this site), they have the wrong plumbing for the AIR system for my 92 Vette. The top photos look to have the correct set up for my 92.

Last edited by Strick; 01-15-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:10 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 255 Likes on 213 Posts

Header installation can be very expensive. Try and get an installation price quote up front instead of paying a flat rate for their time and mistakes. Installation may cost much more than the headers themselves.

Here's an interesting test comparing L98 manifolds directly to long tubes (~6 hp gain):

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pit-...-money-street/
3D-Aircrew (02-13-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
Header installation can be very expensive. Try and get an installation price quote up front instead of paying a flat rate for their time and mistakes. Installation may cost much more than the headers themselves.

Here's an interesting test comparing L98 manifolds directly to long tubes (~6 hp gain):

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pit-...-money-street/

The other idea is using LT1 manifolds.....my buddy did it on his '89 and looking at the L98 manifolds vs the LT1s you can see the difference(better flow, less restrictions).

Much easier install
Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by Strick
Looking at the pictures of the headers (from this site), they have the wrong plumbing for the AIR system for my 92 Vette. The top photos look to have the correct set up for my 92.
it’s only for 85-91 L98 corvettes. The 1992 is when they switched to lt1 and that’s probably why they are different. I know I want long tube headers instead of lt1 manifolds. The exhaust shop locally said they would install them for about $200 which I thought was very cheap. Maybe I will email the seller and ask for some close up pictures of the welds and the sizes of them at the flanges and pipes. If you guys think hedman elites are better though then I will just get them. I was just thinking stainless doesn’t rust and I saw these for cheap and they look like chrome.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I sent the seller an email and asked the sizes plus asked for some close ups of the welds and the inside of the header so that maybe you can see the quality of the header from that.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 PM
tgurnick
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have commented on a few threads before, I have a pair of OBX's that I've installed on my 85. I removed the air injection tubes, wrapped them, and coated them. The car has lived outside most its life until recently and they have held up fine for a few thousand miles. They take some elbow grease to install and have work but the quality on my pair was good enough. The quality control overall could be questionable though.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I was also asking this now because I was planning on getting an air pump delete kit soon but if I am getting the obx ones then I won’t get the air pump delete.

The only thing I heard very bad is that they are hard to install but I will be taking them to an exhaust shop so it will be their job. Here’s a couple pictures of OBX headers, I think these were on an lt1.

I'm not sure what that is. If it is AIR, why is it only on one pipe and not all 4? Still, you can get a pipe plug to delete it so you have less clutter especially when you are working on it.

Wrong. It is your problem. Either they will eat any loss ($200 is about 2 hours work) or they will bang it till it fits and you won't like that. Sure, pry it to get it to fit isn't bad but if you have to dent the hell out of it to make it work, well.... Either I am charging you more to make it work or I will have to "hammer to fit". If you think I am going to eat the loss, you might want to rethink that idea.

I also don't know about LT1 but look at THIS and compare it to the one in the picture. See how the flange is nice and flat but the TPIS one isn't? Those protrusions are what your accessory brackets hook onto. This means more measuring and cutting. More fabrication, more time. More time on my part, more money from YOUR wallet.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The exhaust shop locally said they would install them for about $200 which I thought was very cheap.

If you guys think hedman elites are better though then I will just get them. I was just thinking stainless doesn’t rust and I saw these for cheap and they look like chrome.
And why is he being so cheap? Because he likes you and cares about you? What is the mechanic's hourly rate in your area? I can't get south of $100 here for anyone worth their salt. I could install it for you in 2 hours but you probably won't like how it turns out.

Why bother? These are cheap headers. You are probably getting cheap labor. Why bother with how thick the material is and a close up? Either you are going cheap and expect little to nothing and are prepared to pay for it later but save a buck today or go the other way.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:49 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I have hooker long tubes... was a very easy install that I did by myself in my garage in a few hours.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by tgurnick
I have commented on a few threads before, I have a pair of OBX's that I've installed on my 85. I removed the air injection tubes, wrapped them, and coated them. The car has lived outside most its life until recently and they have held up fine for a few thousand miles. They take some elbow grease to install and have work but the quality on my pair was good enough. The quality control overall could be questionable though.
yeah I saw that people said obx were a lot better than their reputation, but they are like $700 now because people kept buying them I think. I was wrong when I thought those were obx.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by aklim
And why is he being so cheap? Because he likes you and cares about you? What is the mechanic's hourly rate in your area? I can't get south of $100 here for anyone worth their salt. I could install it for you in 2 hours but you probably won't like how it turns out.

Why bother? These are cheap headers. You are probably getting cheap labor. Why bother with how thick the material is and a close up? Either you are going cheap and expect little to nothing and are prepared to pay for it later but save a buck today or go the other way.
I was wondering why their price was that low, but I will be talking to them more in the summer when I bring headers for them to install. I know the first bolt on the drivers side needs modified with a spacer for the alternator bracket. Only Tpis makes that spacer right from what I’ve read. I know they’re not expensive headers but I was just looking for some that are around $500 instead of $1,000 like others because that seems way too expensive to me for headers but I want them to still have good quality.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by gman35
I have hooker long tubes... was a very easy install that I did by myself in my garage in a few hours.
I started looking up the hooker long tubes and thought I found the header I was going to buy because I found them for $400 is all at advance auto but I got to looking and they were the 2451 instead of 2151 that fit. The 2151’s are $800 and I’m not going to pay that much but thanks for the advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube headers

Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I was wondering why their price was that low, but I will be talking to them more in the summer when I bring headers for them to install.

I know the first bolt on the drivers side needs modified with a spacer for the alternator bracket. Only Tpis makes that spacer right from what I’ve read.

I know they’re not expensive headers but I was just looking for some that are around $500 instead of $1,000 like others because that seems way too expensive to me for headers but I want them to still have good quality.
I'll start low and when the car is in pieces, jack up the price and you can't refuse, maybe? That or I will install it but instead of taking the time to get it right and massage things, hammer and heat wrench?

I think there is the AC bracket too.

They are cheap headers and quality isn't going to be there. Good stuff can't and doesn't need to be cheap. Cheap stuff can't be good. If you want good quality, get a set of used TPIS and be patient looking. That or save up for it. It is cheaper to spend more now and less later than to spend less now and more later. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been mulling around about headers myself. mine is an LT1. I have narrowed my search down to Hooker super comp or Melrose. keep in mind there's roughly $200 difference between ceramic coated and not. Melrose are only $505 uncoated. coated is a HUGE temp drop under hood. if yo buy painted headers you will need to strip off that paint and coat with heat paint. what's on there is just to ship to keep from rusting. PIA to me. I ruled out OBX as the primary tubes are ony 1 5/8 and LT1 likes 1 3/4. gain on L98 not on LT1 with 1 5/8 and also some of the cheap ones are only 2 1/2" collector. again okay for L98 not LT1 . I bought cheap shorties on car now. they rub the AC plastic box on fire wall and melted plastic. I had to remove and modify a recess in the box with metal. food for thought on cheap headers.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/86-91...vette-headers/

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../parts/2151HKR

my buddy did the Hooker super comp ceramic coated and fit was perfect. lowered engine bay temp by a huge amount
Old 01-17-2019, 11:47 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

cheap header fitment on my 93, and it now is a ridiculous job to change the plugs

Quick Reply: Long tube headers