C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

sealent / caulking for windshield "tray"

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default sealent / caulking for windshield "tray"

We are at the bottom of the windshield, below the windshield wipers, where the wire mesh is. I've removed the wire mesh to clean that whole drainage tray and liberate the two udders of their blockages. got under there with soapy water and scrubbed it all out. on ebay, there is a 'filter' that is designed to fit in there and i think im going to grab one.

but the rubber forward "wall" of this tray, has some sort of sealent or caulking and its all cracked. so when water runs down the windsheld into this tray, while it does now flow down the udders, it also drips through the cracks in the rubber tray, down onto things like the wiper motor and some other relays etc.

anybody know the appropriate calking for this? and if there is some trick to having the application look reasonably professional? I've scrubbed teh crap out of the tray and its nice and clean. awaiting new caulking.

thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Can you take a picture of it ?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:13 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default pics of rubber "dam" or "wall"

im sure there is an actual name for this piece. I do see now it can be unscrewed.

the goop acts as a gasket.
----------------

and here is another inquiry, at the base of each windshield corner just rear word from the hood striker pins, I have a foam pad, it had all kinds of crud underneath it so I carefully took it out. I found what looks like PL 400 they use in building, feeling some sort of hole down into the frame. I think I will let it dry out and then refill it and clean the pad spray it with SEM landau black and PL 400 this piece of foam back in place. Does anybody know what type of adhesive was used here. It is some of the strongest contact cement type stuff I've ever seen perhaps it is not factory. there is a photo:

what's under here? I don't want to open Pandora's box but now I need to know what type of sealant this was so I can reseal it after dries out

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 01-16-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:14 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

woah! I'm not sure what happened to the placement on those photographs but somehow my phone inserted them into Gobley goo locations. When I get to a computer I will clean up that post so that it makes sense sorry about that editing.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:19 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I don't know what it is for sure but I think I would use bedding sealer when I reassembled everything.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3194048&rt=rud

Get notified of new replies

To sealent / caulking for windshield "tray"

Quick Reply: sealent / caulking for windshield "tray"