C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any familiar with porous wheel air leaks on 95's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Any familiar with porous wheel air leaks on 95's

I get a flat tire on my 95 NCRS car if it sits for 6 months or so, I have check it multiple times thoroughly-no holes, valve stem fine etc, bead is fine. There is actually a tsb on porous wheel/rim leaks, of course the solution per bulletin is replace wheel. I do not want to replace my OE wheel. Anyone else have this problem and is there a known fix? Yes, before you post it, I know I can add air every six months. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts

I have had tires with bead leaks before. The tire man painted the bead with a thick black bead sealer. Could you paint the whole inside with this bead sealer?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I am thinking in that direction but if its not evenly spread, that stuff stays somewhat in a liquid state when hot and could cause balance issues
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

We've actually painted inner of wheel for a fix BUT GM actually has a newer TSB that mentions using 'Adhesive Sealant'. This link will get you a 2010 version and I believe there was maybe another earlier. I recall painting a long time ago maybe '03 or '04.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=153524

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-16-2019 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
corvette95 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Check the seal on the valve stem, or the valve core itself could have issues. Just in case you haven't checked this already.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:52 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I have had a pair of tires over the years with miniscule leaks in them. One was a plug patch and the other was actually the wheel. Because the leak was so slow in both cases it took a little creativity to find the leaks. I got a kids wading pool and filled it with water. I put the respective tire in the pool having added a few extra pounds of air in it. I used a padded concrete block on it to sink it in the pool. To track it down I used a dashcam that had motion detection on it, I had to rig a mount to hold the dashcam over the tire to wire the whole thing. The eventual bubbles were enough to trigger the recording of the event. If it's slow enough to take 6 months to go flat, it's likely not going to be a continuous stream of bubbles, so you will have the watch careful for when and where they happen.

In my case I got a new rim for the one from the dealer (it was a new car at the time). In your case, assuming you want to save the rims I expect something like an epoxy paint or even something like bed liner material could seal it up. Just be sure to apply an even coat of material as thin as you can then rebalance the tire when done.

Get notified of new replies

To Any familiar with porous wheel air leaks on 95's

Quick Reply: Any familiar with porous wheel air leaks on 95's