C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Should i buy it? has these codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:26 AM
newcamaroguy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy it? has these codes

Hi everyone, I am new here. I want to buy a 1992 corvette. I don’t know much about them, but I wanted to buy one a fix it up a bit. The one I am looking at needs works but he’s selling it for $1400. It has 170000 miles but with a clean title and only 1 owner. The car turns on and drives but runs rough. The owner told me that it’s the Opti spark but I’m not sure. I got these codes, but none seem to be for the Opti spark. Here they are

C41
1 H41
4 error
9 H62
9 H64
9 H72

from the looks of it the ECM is losing communication? and the rest of the codes are for the radio? dash lights being dim?
Can someone explain what each code means? I googled it but I am getting a bit confused because I keep reading different things.

I checked the Transmission fluid and engine oil, and both look good. Guy told me he never changed it since he got the car (about a year ago)
also no black or white smoke coming from the tailpipe.

I will also need new paint and shocks plus whatever parts needed to get it running good

Should I buy it? I don’t plan to invest more than $3500 overall

I plan to do all the work myself besides the paint job.

If someone with experience and knowledge on these cars can help me, I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Check this link for good info on the error codes. Paint jobs are going to be expensive. The 92/93 Corvette ECMs are known to have intermittent issues and can be repaired for less than $200 typically, I had to have mine done and it was a low mileage very clean car.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Welcome.

Are you familiar with the LT1 from your Camaro experience? In it's first 3 years, the LT1 was plagued with issues related to the un-vented Opti spark. The last two years weren't much better. 1992 is the start of that whole mess.

Are you looking for a daily driver or will it be a garage queen? If you don't have to rely on it for transportation and like to wrench, a first gen LT1 might be fun.

Lots of nice C4s out there for sale. Happy hunting.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by newcamaroguy
Hi everyone, I am new here. I want to buy a 1992 corvette. I don’t know much about them, but I wanted to buy one a fix it up a bit. The one I am looking at needs works but he’s selling it for $1400. It has 170000 miles but with a clean title and only 1 owner. The car turns on and drives but runs rough. The owner told me that it’s the Opti spark but I’m not sure. I got these codes, but none seem to be for the Opti spark. Here they are

C41
1 H41
4 error
9 H62
9 H64
9 H72

from the looks of it the ECM is losing communication? and the rest of the codes are for the radio? dash lights being dim?
Can someone explain what each code means? I googled it but I am getting a bit confused because I keep reading different things.

I checked the Transmission fluid and engine oil, and both look good. Guy told me he never changed it since he got the car (about a year ago)
also no black or white smoke coming from the tailpipe.

I will also need new paint and shocks plus whatever parts needed to get it running good

Should I buy it? I don’t plan to invest more than $3500 overall

I plan to do all the work myself besides the paint job.

If someone with experience and knowledge on these cars can help me, I would really appreciate it.
If you don't plan to invest more than $3500 on a '92 auto with 170K miles that also needs a paint job, run....don't walk away.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:10 AM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
If you don't plan to invest more than $3500 on a '92 auto with 170K miles that also needs a paint job, run....don't walk away.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by pacoW
Bingo, that is probably an unrealistic expectation. There is a reason why the asking price is only $1700.00.

Last edited by drcook; 01-22-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

even without paint you will be in for far more than 3500
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

It is said buy something that is in good shape even if you pay more to at least have a good starting point and a good running car.

Having said that, the mileage is not a big factor for me on those cars. But repairing those kind of bus communication (H41 not good) problems can really be a problem. ECMs can be repaired. You can buy CCMs but a used one will have another vin number and mileage different. Only a new one with less than 100 miles can be programmed with the special software, hard hard to find .

Running rough is to vague a term for me to point at any one items. When were the plugs last replaced. Injectors on the 92 not a big problem but not to be forgotten about. Any plug wires sparking including hot coil wire. Check for water pump leak on top of opti.

The opti in "most" cases cause bucking and missing under heave acceleration after warmed. There are some other symptoms but not usually a bad idle. The opti can stop an engine with no spark, not that common with original opti's.

The ECM on the 92 & 93 were a big problems. Causing all kinds of runability and starting problems. When they heat up engine would quit, injectors would lose drive, lots of weird stuff and tough problems to troubleshoot.

Just some things to think about. Looks like with paint and repairs you could be nearing 5000. Just an rough opinion, who knows, good luck.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:44 PM
newcamaroguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pcolt94
It is said buy something that is in good shape even if you pay more to at least have a good starting point and a good running car.

Having said that, the mileage is not a big factor for me on those cars. But repairing those kind of bus communication (H41 not good) problems can really be a problem. ECMs can be repaired. You can buy CCMs but a used one will have another vin number and mileage different. Only a new one with less than 100 miles can be programmed with the special software, hard hard to find .

Running rough is to vague a term for me to point at any one items. When were the plugs last replaced. Injectors on the 92 not a big problem but not to be forgotten about. Any plug wires sparking including hot coil wire. Check for water pump leak on top of opti.

The opti in "most" cases cause bucking and missing under heave acceleration after warmed. There are some other symptoms but not usually a bad idle. The opti can stop an engine with no spark, not that common with original opti's.

The ECM on the 92 & 93 were a big problems. Causing all kinds of runability and starting problems. When they heat up engine would quit, injectors would lose drive, lots of weird stuff and tough problems to troubleshoot.

Just some things to think about. Looks like with paint and repairs you could be nearing 5000. Just an rough opinion, who knows, good luck.
Thanks for the info. He said he replaced the water pump and radiator recently. Also the pink slip shows 180k miles but the car shows 170k..maybe the ecm was swapped? Does it read the mileage stored from previous vehicle? Thanks
Old 01-22-2019, 01:48 PM
newcamaroguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Renfield
Welcome.

Are you familiar with the LT1 from your Camaro experience? In it's first 3 years, the LT1 was plagued with issues related to the un-vented Opti spark. The last two years weren't much better. 1992 is the start of that whole mess.

Are you looking for a daily driver or will it be a garage queen? If you don't have to rely on it for transportation and like to wrench, a first gen LT1 might be fun.

Lots of nice C4s out there for sale. Happy hunting.
Im looking for a daily driver and I don't care much about the paint..I was going to go to a local place that's about $1000 to paint. I have a 2018 Camaro so I'm not familiar with the lt1 engine. Thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

1700 pretty cheap? It's easy to burn through 1800 rehabilitating any Corvette unless it's in very good condition. With only 3500 , I would not want to burn through my budget and still have things to do. I would have to pass.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM
newcamaroguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kevova
1700 pretty cheap? It's easy to burn through 1800 rehabilitating any Corvette unless it's in very good condition. With only 3500 , I would not want to burn through my budget and still have things to do. I would have to pass.
He was selling it for $2500..I offered him $1400 he said yeah but told him I would be back for it. But from the sounds of I am going to wait and find something in better condition. Thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2019, 03:10 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

He was selling it for $2500..I offered him $1400 he said yeah but told him I would be back for it. But from the sounds of I am going to wait and find something in better condition. Thanks for the help
For that kind of money you could part it out and maybe make a little money (if you don't mind removing stuff yourself).
Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Place your money on a new one! Use it as a daily driver Lease it and let some one else have the head aches. Drive like you stole it. You must have deep pockets to own a C4.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Im looking for a daily driver and I don't care much about the paint..I was going to go to a local place that's about $1000 to paint. I have a 2018 Camaro so I'm not familiar with the lt1 engine. Thanks for the help
A $1k paint job on a C4 will look good for a year, then it will probably look worse than it did before you painted it.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

I wasn't either. It's a cup of tea that's not for everyone. IMO they screwed the pooch with that Optispark. What a nightmare.

If I knew then what I've learned owning an LT1 for 3+ years, I would run like a scalded dog from every last LT1 GM ever produced. And I have bad knees.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Happy hunting!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:07 PM
newcamaroguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Welcome to the forum! Check this link for good info on the error codes. Paint jobs are going to be expensive. The 92/93 Corvette ECMs are known to have intermittent issues and can be repaired for less than $200 typically, I had to have mine done and it was a low mileage very clean car.
Did getting the ECM repaired fix the problems you where having? Did your gauges work and did the ECM repair fix the issue?

Get notified of new replies

To Should i buy it? has these codes

Quick Reply: Should i buy it? has these codes