C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

gas hood strut rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:55 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default gas hood strut rebuild kit?

anybody know if you can buy a kit to rebuild or recharge the hood strut so that it actually helps in raising the hood?

I left mine outside it got very cold and it must've lost its charge.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:26 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

If your car has the newer style support you can purchase a new gas cylinder from here:

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I do not know of any kit to recharge or rebuild the old strut. Good luck with your repair.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by zachaeous
If your car has the newer style support you can purchase a new gas cylinder from here:

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I do not know of any kit to recharge or rebuild the old strut. Good luck with your repair.

Those struts are not serviceable … but I'm sure somebody could come up with a "hold my beer" moment and prove me wrong.

I've found them on ebay quite reasonable:

Ebay 84-87 gas struts
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (01-28-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
anybody know if you can buy a kit to rebuild or recharge the hood strut so that it actually helps in raising the hood?

I left mine outside it got very cold and it must've lost its charge.
Viking, check at Princess Auto. They have numerous ones and one may fit.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:31 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

I've used the Strong Arm brand struts listed on eBay on several applications. Easy installation and never had a problem with them.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 PM
BowerPower
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have two of the cheap ones off of RockAuto. I paid less than $10 a piece and they are the strongest little things I have ever seen. It takes about 150 pounds of pressure or so to collapse the thing. I almost didnt get them on the car. It's been almost a year and they still work great. I can find the exact brand if you'd like.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:05 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

that would be awesome if you could share the brand. love rock auto. i will pick those up.

does anybody know if the strut on the left side of the car, the tall long one, not the small ones down near the hinge, is filled with gas? or is its only purpose to hold the hood up.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:19 PM
BowerPower
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
that would be awesome if you could share the brand. love rock auto. i will pick those up.

does anybody know if the strut on the left side of the car, the tall long one, not the small ones down near the hinge, is filled with gas? or is its only purpose to hold the hood up.
Mine are made by Monroe. They are $6.88 a piece right now on RockAuto. They are small but super strong. Trust me, you will not need the bigger strut after you install these. Mine is an early 85 and it has the scissor hood support. Those little struts hold up the hood to where it wont rest back down on the support. Obviously the big strut is there just in case.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:41 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BowerPower
Mine are made by Monroe. They are $6.88 a piece right now on RockAuto. They are small but super strong. Trust me, you will not need the bigger strut after you install these. Mine is an early 85 and it has the scissor hood support. Those little struts hold up the hood to where it wont rest back down on the support. Obviously the big strut is there just in case.

wow. ok im sold thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To gas hood strut rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: gas hood strut rebuild kit?