Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Old 01-30-2019, 12:59 PM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3 View Post
He has his mind made up on spending money fruitlessly on things that will only give him minimal if any gains...from the air foil to the cat back he might pick up 10 whp... LOL... .whatever man.

Everyone starts some where. As long as it is not violating your long term plan, I see no issues.

As far as the 1.6 Roller Rockers, you will also be looking at springs too. You may get away with factory springs, but I wouldn't do it. More stress on old springs.. while you are in there I would do them. Just to be on the safe side. Then you have to adjust them for preload.... a much more involved process than just bolting something on. Not everyone on this forum is looking to built a stroked and booseted, street monster. A lot will never see a time slip. Some just want to do a few basic things and enjoy their car a bit more. Then add some more later.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:15 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Received 800 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
As far as the 1.6 Roller Rockers, you will also be looking at springs too. You may get away with factory springs, but I wouldn't do it. More stress on old springs.. while you are in there I would do them. Just to be on the safe side. Then you have to adjust them for preload.... a much more involved process than just bolting something on.

Not everyone on this forum is looking to built a stroked and booseted, street monster. A lot will never see a time slip.

Some just want to do a few basic things and enjoy their car a bit more. Then add some more later.
Very true. BUT, now I have some real gain. If you want to do something, why not do it well first time out? Spend a little more (time and money) and have something substantial.

Again true. What was suggested wasn't a stroked and boosted street monster though. Although, if he wanted to go that way, he could.

Enjoy what? Can YOU feel the 2HP gain on a 240HP car? I admit, I can't. So what are we left with? Placebo effect? Is it worth the few hundred bucks? Add what on later? A set of RR and you can add a cam or intakes and really get something. CAI? I doubt it. Again, theory sounds great. I haven't seen the execution from either a timeslip or a dyno. I have seen cars gain a couple HP from one run to another so unless it is consistent, it don't mean squat.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:18 PM
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

If you want to feel some decent differences in the seat of your pants and really want to have a quicker car, save the money youre about to waste and put it towards a rear end gear change to a taller gear.

:
Correct term is shorter gear ratio.

As i as I mentioned in your other three in general, air intakes are garbage money. Pretty much all you are paying for is looks. There is no benefit over the 90-96 intake.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:27 PM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Enjoy what?
Time with you car, the pleasure of getting a project done, the enjoyment of it being a little different than the next guys, turning wrenches with a buddy over a beer on a low stress project where not much could go wrong, getting your feet wet with modifications, not breaking the bank while still doing something that adds power, the visual appearance, or the new audio experience.

I personally have had a few cars that had an air intake that was open outside of the engine bay. Could have given a crap less if it was giving me 1, 2 or 10hp more. I really enjoyed the sound of the initial air rush when cracking the throttle open. My Viper especially after I did the modifications to the air box and smooth tubes. The sound was quickly overtaken by the exhaust... but yea it was nice and enjoyable. Did the air intake due much compared to the long tubes, exhaust, 3.55 gear, roller rockers, or the larger injectors and tune... nope... but it sure looked and sounded better and was a hell of a lot cheaper, easier, and quicker to do.

To crap on a guy who wants to have some fun and do some basic modifications to their car is ridiculous. It's not like he is asking About putting a Tornado Fuel Saver or Turbonator in to add power. What he is asking about has proven to free up a few hp. He is just getting started and what he is asking about is fine and will support future modifications. Additionally, it is not always easy for someone to save up large chunks of cash to spend on their car. Life seems to happen and take that money away.

Nobody is arguing over how much power it will add, or claiming it will be a big difference. Here is a thread of a dyno test of a few air intake mods on a C4. With some familiar names on it from way back in 2006. The guy shows very little peak gain, but an overall average of 5whp with the SLP kit. Will you feel this? No. Sometimes you need to forget trying to equate everything into dollars per hp and sometimes think about dollar to fun ratio to. The car hobby is more than dyno sheets and time slips. (Which can also very greatly depending on location and conditions) A large portion of the hobby doesn't give a crap about either of those. Anyone worrying about shear dollar to horsepower ratio is in the wrong forum anyway. A C4, or dare I say any Corvette, is not the most economical platform to yield the greatest performance per dollar spent anyway.

Last edited by KyleF; 01-30-2019 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BatmobileLT4 (05-15-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Time with you car, the pleasure of getting a project done, the enjoyment of it being a little different than the next guys, turning wrenches with a buddy over a beer on a low stress project where not much could go wrong, getting your feet wet with modifications, not breaking the bank while still doing something that adds power, the visual appearance, or the new audio experience.

I personally have had a few cars that had an air intake that was open outside of the engine bay. Could have given a crap less if it was giving me 1, 2 or 10hp more. I really enjoyed the sound of the initial air rush when cracking the throttle open. My Viper especially after I did the modifications to the air box and smooth tubes. The sound was quickly overtaken by the exhaust... but yea it was nice and enjoyable. Did the air intake due much compared to the long tubes, exhaust, 3.55 gear, roller rockers, or the larger injectors and tune... nope... but it sure looked and sounded better and was a hell of a lot cheaper, easier, and quicker to do.

To crap on a guy who wants to have some fun and do some basic modifications to their car is ridiculous. It's not like he is asking About putting a Tornado Fuel Saver or Turbonator in to add power. What he is asking about has proven to free up a few hp. He is just getting started and what he is asking about is fine and will support future modifications.

Additionally, it is not always easy for someone to save up large chunks of cash to spend on their car. Life seems to happen and take that money away.

Nobody is arguing over how much power it will add, or claiming it will be a big difference. Here is a thread of a dyno test of a few air intake mods on a C4. With some familiar names on it from way back in 2006. The guy shows very little peak gain, but an overall average of 5whp with the SLP kit. Will you feel this? No.

Sometimes you need to forget trying to equate everything into dollars per hp and sometimes think about dollar to fun ratio to. The car hobby is more than dyno sheets and time slips. (Which can also very greatly depending on location and conditions) A large portion of the hobby doesn't give a crap about either of those. Anyone worrying about shear dollar to horsepower ratio is in the wrong forum anyway. A C4, or dare I say any Corvette, is not the most economical platform to yield the greatest performance per dollar spent anyway.
Again, does it add power? IF not, stickers are cheaper to demonstrate speed as opposed to advertising speed.

OK. If it is the visual and other fluffy stuff, IDK. I have little to no artistic tastes so if that is what you are trying to accomplish, fair enough. If the OP said "What would look cool to the boys club?", I can't be sure. I understand quantifiable things but I'd defer to you on the intangibles.

Again, prove it. His car is stock, lets see what it will do for a stock car not a "one off". Why don't you have him run my cam. I have a dyno proven 420 RWHP cam so it should do something for his case, right? Probably not. If it even runs, somewhat decently on his stock setup, I'll be surprised. IMO, your definition of "proven" isn't very specific. "Win a race on Sunday, sell a car on Monday" doesn't cut any ice with me.

I agree life gets in the way of what we want. I suppose the solution of lowered expectations to make one feel good about oneself does work so again, if that is the stated goal, you are right. Instant gratification whether real or not is gratification, I suppose.

I'm not following. That is a LPE 368 LT5 modified motor. The OP is a stock LT1. Your 5 HP is on a highly modified motor from 4000 to 5500. Besides "Win race on Sunday, Sell car on Monday", what makes you think that dropping a few hundred bucks will yield more than 2HP, if that, on a stock motor?

I guess if he is going for the "Bling Factor" and wants to look cool, you are right. Get the Cold Air Intake and use all kinds of extrapolation to feel good.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:00 PM
psychodiagnostik
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's definitely not the place I'd start, I don't think the factory intake is a restriction. I had a "cold air" intake on my LT1 Z28 & I provided zero SOTP improvement (but it did sound better). I had the airfoil too I'm sad to say but hey I was basically a kid, don't mess with those.

Depending on what rear gears you have, there's a good chance this is your bottleneck. My '93 C4 had 2.59s, I switched to 3.73s and the difference was HUGE! I didn't say anything to my wife after I did the gears, I just took her for a ride and she was like holy CRAP I did not remember this car accelerating this fast. After that I'd save for long tube headers, then a cam/heads combo or even just a good cam for stock heads. Tons of threads on this. If you have a 6 speed or if mileage is an issue, you might be happy with your gears and if so I'd go headers/cam/heads. Maybe driveline upgrades too, most C4s really improve with a bushing kit. There's also lowering kit that's cheap but labor intensive in front, shocks, brake upgrades, torque converter/shift kit if you have an auto... Everything else for the engine is going to be such marginal gains I'd not do it.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by psychodiagnostik View Post
That's definitely not the place I'd start, I don't think the factory intake is a restriction. I had a "cold air" intake on my LT1 Z28 & I provided zero SOTP improvement (but it did sound better). I had the airfoil too I'm sad to say but hey I was basically a kid, don't mess with those.

Depending on what rear gears you have, there's a good chance this is your bottleneck. My '93 C4 had 2.59s, I switched to 3.73s and the difference was HUGE! I didn't say anything to my wife after I did the gears, I just took her for a ride and she was like holy CRAP I did not remember this car accelerating this fast. After that I'd save for long tube headers, then a cam/heads combo or even just a good cam for stock heads. Tons of threads on this. If you have a 6 speed or if mileage is an issue, you might be happy with your gears and if so I'd go headers/cam/heads. Maybe driveline upgrades too, most C4s really improve with a bushing kit. There's also lowering kit that's cheap but labor intensive in front, shocks, brake upgrades, torque converter/shift kit if you have an auto... Everything else for the engine is going to be such marginal gains I'd not do it.
Gears, sure. I wouldn't go past a 3.73. Last time I did, all it did was suck gas on the street. Didn't find much of a SOTP improvement to justify the switch to 4.10.Might disagree with the TC though. Not sure I want to put an expensive TC with a old stock 700R4. Maybe when the trans is built, do a great TC?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 AM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Again, does it add power? IF not, stickers are cheaper to demonstrate speed as opposed to advertising speed.

OK. If it is the visual and other fluffy stuff, IDK. I have little to no artistic tastes so if that is what you are trying to accomplish, fair enough. If the OP said "What would look cool to the boys club?", I can't be sure. I understand quantifiable things but I'd defer to you on the intangibles.

Again, prove it. His car is stock, lets see what it will do for a stock car not a "one off". Why don't you have him run my cam. I have a dyno proven 420 RWHP cam so it should do something for his case, right? Probably not. If it even runs, somewhat decently on his stock setup, I'll be surprised. IMO, your definition of "proven" isn't very specific. "Win a race on Sunday, sell a car on Monday" doesn't cut any ice with me.

I agree life gets in the way of what we want. I suppose the solution of lowered expectations to make one feel good about oneself does work so again, if that is the stated goal, you are right. Instant gratification whether real or not is gratification, I suppose.

I'm not following. That is a LPE 368 LT5 modified motor. The OP is a stock LT1. Your 5 HP is on a highly modified motor from 4000 to 5500. Besides "Win race on Sunday, Sell car on Monday", what makes you think that dropping a few hundred bucks will yield more than 2HP, if that, on a stock motor?

I guess if he is going for the "Bling Factor" and wants to look cool, you are right. Get the Cold Air Intake and use all kinds of extrapolation to feel good.
Let me see here... the guy saying not to spend money because it doesn't return enough power has...

Spent money to remove his smog on his Firebird and Corvette for appearance In this thread. Which adds basically no power
Spent money changing the headlights in this thread. Whats the hp you got out of that one?
Spent money on a 58mm Throttle Body... that you mentioned in this thread where you were looking into your own cold air intake right here. It has been proven again and again that going to a larger throttle body, even on heavily modified engines, produces minimal gains in relation to their cost.
Was going to spend money to suck in hot engine air and claims by putting his air filter on the front of his throttle body on his Firebird gained 20hp on an L98. All of this thread saying air intake systems don't change that much and in another threat claiming your 'bird gain 20hp by putting the filter at the Throttle Body. You got the dyno for this? 20 Hp Air Filter Move

What would you say about tinted windows, a new stereo, parking light blackouts, or sill plates? You going to tell those guys they are wasting their money?

See, we all do small things that improve the overall experience of owning our toys. Start small and build up.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 AM
CorvetteRules
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It is interesting that no matter what vehicle is the topic in a vehicle forum the same issues are in play. In the RAM forum I'm a member of the topics are identical, just the vehicle changes. At least a few times a month a RAM owner is seeking advice on adding a CAI system on their truck. The answers provided are exactly the same back and forth seen here.

One thing I have yet to see here is discussions on Oil Catch Cans to keep the blow by oil from being reintroduced to the intake. Owners over there either swore to how it saves wear and tear on the motor, where the other side says it is really just something that just provides a feel good feeling to that owner. I say whatever gives an owner satisfaction is the only thing that counts in the end. I own a crew cab RAM for several reasons. It is a very comfortable environment for passengers and in addition for the times I need a bed to carry cargo for a project at home or to help a relative. The fact it has a 395 HP 5.7 is just icing on the cake. Overall though it is a daily driver I enjoy, but if other Hemi owners want to turn their truck into a dragster on the weekends, I just say whatever makes them happy.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CorvetteRules View Post
It is interesting that no matter what vehicle is the topic in a vehicle forum the same issues are in play. In the RAM forum I'm a member of the topics are identical, just the vehicle changes. At least a few times a month a RAM owner is seeking advice on adding a CAI system on their truck. The answers provided are exactly the same back and forth seen here.

One thing I have yet to see here is discussions on Oil Catch Cans to keep the blow by oil from being reintroduced to the intake. Owners over there either swore to how it saves wear and tear on the motor, where the other side says it is really just something that just provides a feel good feeling to that owner. I say whatever gives an owner satisfaction is the only thing that counts in the end. I own a crew cab RAM for several reasons. It is a very comfortable environment for passengers and in addition for the times I need a bed to carry cargo for a project at home or to help a relative. The fact it has a 395 HP 5.7 is just icing on the cake. Overall though it is a daily driver I enjoy, but if other Hemi owners want to turn their truck into a dragster on the weekends, I just say whatever makes them happy.
The systems are designed to handle the oil that gets in the blow by. They don't get it all because some of the oil remains a vapor. A catch can will not add power, reduce emissions, or improve economy. It may keep the intake manifold cleaner over the long haul. I haven't seen any tests where two identical motors were ran for an extended period of time and opened up to have any evidence one way or another for the long haul. I am sure they can't hurt anything. Probably has more of an effect on forced induction vehicles.

I say whatever gives an owner satisfaction is the only thing that counts in the end.
That is kind of the point I am making... except doing things that hurt performance when trying to improve it.

People spend a lot of money on low riders, rat rods, "stance" cars, and while it's not my thing but I get it.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:40 AM
vette196
CF Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by psychodiagnostik View Post

I sent him a PM to avoid the bolt on HP debate with this same info, no reply or any in this thread.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 AM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 244 Posts

One thing I have yet to see here is discussions on Oil Catch Cans to keep the blow by oil from being reintroduced to the intake. Owners over there either swore to how it saves wear and tear on the motor, where the other side says it is really just something that just provides a feel good feeling to that owner..
Not really needed on L98 or LT1 engines. Blowby is always there but I never saw any oil in my intake.

Now the C7, there you will find debate about the catch can topic. I haven't driven mine enough to see any problem with oil being pushed back into the intake, but others have.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:52 AM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vader86 View Post
Not really needed on L98 or LT1 engines. Blowby is always there but I never saw any oil in my intake.

Now the C7, there you will find debate about the catch can topic. I haven't driven mine enough to see any problem with oil being pushed back into the intake, but others have.
There are LS based engines with no catch cans that have made 300K+ miles. I am sure the new LT based engines will be just as good. If it was an issue of it getting into the intake and ultimately into the combustion chamber in any significant volume, it would burn and show issues with emissions. Obviously this is not the case or the engine would never get certified for use in a commercially available vehicle marketed for highway use without something to address this issue.
Now to tie this to this thread, over time it may create some deposits that will rob a few horsepower. So, it may prevent you from losing some performance over the very long term... maybe 1 or 2hp. So just like with a cold air intake, it's not a big deal one way or the other. But all the enjoyment factors I mentioned above come into play with catch cans too. I have never heard anyone complain about them actually hurting a cars performance.

And really, a guy who is asking about an airfoil, CAI, and a cat back gets advice to do a Heads/Headers/Cam... come on. This is a completely different level of cost and modification. Brings on a whole other host of issues like tuning and fuel system upgrades. Not to mention potential comfort issues. Most people are not close to wanting to deal with such modification to a car.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 PM
CorvetteRules
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It really doesn't matter if a CAI system works or not, all the owners of the other generations are against us. They are talking trash behind our backs telling each other that C4's owners are a lower class of citizen. We need to unite and stand up for our rightful place in the Corvette world.

( work is a bit slow today so as you can see I have too much time on my hands)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:49 PM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

It really doesn't matter if a CAI system works or not, all the owners of the other generations are against us. They are talking trash behind our backs telling each other that C4's owners are a lower class of citizen. We need to unite and stand up for our rightful place in the Corvette world.

( work is a bit slow today so as you can see I have too much time on my hands)
Only if you are willing to do a H/C/I swap with a tune apparently.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:49 PM
2LZ
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I've done a few things to mine. Did it help? According to the magazine article, yes. Can I tell? Well, the re-gearing helped tremendously. The other stuff? Who knows.

I put the 52mm BBK TB on my LT1...because...uh...my stock one had a "catastrophic failure" when I took it off to do the intake. The BBK looks bada$$ under the hood and works just fine. I didn't put it on for major performance gains. I did the open air filter cover on the stock box. Can't tell if it helps but it hisses at idle "like it means business" and sounds awesome when I stomp it.

I think the OP should do his CAI. If anything, it will look cool, sound good, and most importantly, makes a guy feel better because he gave his baby a little love.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 PM
81c3
CF Senior Member

Received 280 Likes on 240 Posts

He should start with a baseline tune up to include:
Spark Plugs
Wires
Cap & Rotor
Fuel Filter
PCV
Serpentine Belt
Then move to replacing all fluids to include:
Rear End
Trans
Brake Fluid
Then Move to:
Brake Pads
Tires
Shocks
Check all bushings
Tire balance & Front End Alignment

Those are things to spend money on that will not be wasted and giving "love" to his car....
Old 01-31-2019, 02:16 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Spent money to remove his smog on his Firebird and Corvette for appearance In this thread. Which adds basically no power
Spent money changing the headlights in this thread. Whats the hp you got out of that one?

Spent money on a 58mm Throttle Body... that you mentioned in this thread where you were looking into your own cold air intake right here. It has been proven again and again that going to a larger throttle body, even on heavily modified engines, produces minimal gains in relation to their cost.
Was going to spend money to suck in hot engine air and claims by putting his air filter on the front of his throttle body on his Firebird gained 20hp on an L98. All of this thread saying air intake systems don't change that much and in another threat claiming your 'bird gain 20hp by putting the filter at the Throttle Body. You got the dyno for this? 20 Hp Air Filter Move

What would you say about tinted windows, a new stereo, parking light blackouts, or sill plates? You going to tell those guys they are wasting their money?

See, we all do small things that improve the overall experience of owning our toys. Start small and build up.
IIRC, that guy wanted to clean up the engine compartment. It is easier to reach in and get things without the AIR system in place and if you don't give a crap about the emissions and can get away with it, I'd do it. I change the plugs, cap and rotor on an annual basis. Pull the TB out for cleaning every 3 years so coolant bypass done. 0 HP gain, less scratches and cuts.

58mm TB was part of the Accel Superram system. That was what LPE recommended with their system. It got used on the HSR. When it wore out, I didn't rebuild. I replaced it with one from Holley. I suppose I could have rebuilt but didn't want to futz with it. It seems to complement the rest of the system according to the builder so....

20 HP dyno gain with SLP CAI vs no filter. What's your point? You have to run a filter or buy motors. IIRC, I did have some gains between a K&N vs no filter too.

Tinted windows, depending on your state, they might or might not allow. Stereo for something to listen to, I have replaced the Bose. The rest, if you want to do it to gain HP, it won't. OTOH, if you want to appeal to someone, sure. DEPENDS ON YOUR GOAL.

PS. I didn't like the yellow headlights so I switched to the LED ones that were more white light. You could find me a 5000K incandescent bulb that won't get me pulled over, I'd have done it. 0 HP but better vision.

I'm not sure what your point is. The engine mods were done as part of a system with the 383 and to ease getting my arms into. The lights were NOT for HP or anything other than to see better.

PS. I did waste money listening to the wonderful claims of what the CAI would do, among other things. Sorry to disappoint but this time, I'm not biting after watching what the dyno says. If the OP wanted to do it, go for it. If he regrets it later like I have with most, if not all of my "cheap and easy" mods, well, he can't say he wasn't warned.

Last edited by aklim; 01-31-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

He should start with a baseline tune up to include:
Spark Plugs
Wires
Cap & Rotor
Fuel Filter
PCV
Serpentine Belt
Then move to replacing all fluids to include:
Rear End
Trans
Brake Fluid
Then Move to:
Brake Pads
Tires
Shocks
Check all bushings
Tire balance & Front End Alignment

Those are things to spend money on that will not be wasted and giving "love" to his car....
If you really want to love the car, petition your congressperson for a bill that will allow you to actually have physical relationships with the car. It's inanimate so it won't return any affections but at one end, it has suction and the other, it is hot and wet, at least, in the initial startup.

Seriously, next thing should be to replace the seats. Cushion is old foam and might be more comfortable. IF your carpet isn't a mess with a nasty smell, skip. If it is, might be a good time to replace.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

I'm not sure what your point is.
Really? The point is you have also spent money on items that don't directly improve performance, or marginally at best and did them for other reasons. Why are you crapping all over someone wanting to do the same thing? Nobody touted big gains to him, he hasn't been lied to. He also didn't expect it to drop a second off his quarter mile time either.

Good basic place to start... Oh, and I totally support making sure the car has a clean bill of health before starting modifications.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: