C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF
Really? The point is you have also spent money on items that don't directly improve performance, or marginally at best and did them for other reasons. Why are you crapping all over someone wanting to do the same thing?

Nobody touted big gains to him, he hasn't been lied to.

He also didn't expect it to drop a second off his quarter mile time either.
The headlights were done for better visibility. Whiter light, better visibility, at least, from what I see. The smog stuff didn't improve performance but allowed me to reach in easier. What part of that was vague? The intakes were from my wrecked F-body as PART OF A SYSTEM that Lingenfelter advised. Later on, the next builder wanted a HSR which did not fit so the cutting of the hood.

Try reading the catalogs and ads. I did. I bought a bunch of crap on "pie in the sky" ads about CAI, headers, intakes, etc. How do you think he got this idea?

Good. As long as he is keeping his expectations at 0, he will not be disappointed.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
. What part of that was vague?
None, and nobody said it was. What are you talking about?

Let me be a little more straight forward here. You have done things to your car that was not just based on hp/$ spent. We all do. So justifying buying/not buying anything based solely on that factor alone is crap. Telling someone they need to spend big $$ for heads, cam, headers, and gears or don't do anything is a smack in the face to the hobby.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I think the OP disappeared, never replied to my PM. Now I see a SLP claw in the FS section....his loss
Old 02-01-2019, 10:38 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vette196
I think the OP disappeared, never replied to my PM. Now I see a SLP claw in the FS section....his loss
Oooh. I call dibs. Should net me a few more ponies
Old 02-01-2019, 10:43 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Let me be a little more straight forward here. You have done things to your car that was not just based on hp/$ spent. We all do. So justifying buying/not buying anything based solely on that factor alone is crap.

Telling someone they need to spend big $$ for heads, cam, headers, and gears or don't do anything is a smack in the face to the hobby.
My lights were to enhance my viewing. My carpet smelled (according to the wife) and the seats were broken and not as comfortable as the new ones. my radio wasn't doing what I wanted so I replaced it. My smog stuff was in the way when I wanted to get to things so it had to go. Is that what you are talking about? None of those gained HP. I didn't consider them because I really don't look at them.

Again, I am going to have to yield to you when it comes to buying stuff that doesn't either enhance the power or make it more comfortable or improve functionality. If it were left to me, my house would be white empty walls with no gew gaws on the shelves but I have a wife that likes to make it more homey which I really don't have care for since it makes cleaning more difficult but what are you going to do? Happy wife, happy life.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
My lights were to enhance my viewing. My carpet smelled (according to the wife) and the seats were broken and not as comfortable as the new ones. my radio wasn't doing what I wanted so I replaced it. My smog stuff was in the way when I wanted to get to things so it had to go. Is that what you are talking about? None of those gained HP. I didn't consider them because I really don't look at them.

Again, I am going to have to yield to you when it comes to buying stuff that doesn't either enhance the power or make it more comfortable or improve functionality. If it were left to me, my house would be white empty walls with no gew gaws on the shelves but I have a wife that likes to make it more homey which I really don't have care for since it makes cleaning more difficult but what are you going to do? Happy wife, happy life.
Exactly what I am talking about. There are other reasons to do things than just hp/$. Appearance, functionality, accessibility or just plain having fun all count in my book.

I made a deal with my wife, she can do whatever she wants to the house. Except the man cave and garage. Those are mine. She gets all the bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen, dinning, and etc. Just leave me alone in the garage. Plus I have both an Iroc (L98) and C4 (LT4) with superchargers on them. So, no room for her stuff in there anyway.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Exactly what I am talking about. There are other reasons to do things than just hp/$. Appearance, functionality, accessibility or just plain having fun all count in my book.

I made a deal with my wife, she can do whatever she wants to the house. Except the man cave and garage. Those are mine. She gets all the bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen, dinning, and etc. Just leave me alone in the garage. Plus I have both an Iroc (L98) and C4 (LT4) with superchargers on them. So, no room for her stuff in there anyway.
Never disputed the added functionality or power.

My deal with the wife is simple. Don't even ask me about the aesthetics or appearance. I make it work or work better. Last time I bought a brand new car, I didn't even know or care what color it was till the salesman walked me to the car. It met the specs I was looking for with the options. Told the Pontiac and Chevy salemen I wanted the L98 engine, auto trans and no Solid roof. Best BOTTOM LINE PRICE with the trade in gets the sale.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Scrubtek
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modify stock airbox

Thoughts about cutting out interior of box to open air intake up. What I want to do is on top of the stock box, you have the small tunnels that go into box with small pending. I want to cut this aspect of the box out to enlarger opening to filter for a lil more air leaving stock tunnels in place. Will this affect any sensors ? Is there anything I should know before doing this?

Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Doubt it will affect any sensors but it looks like you are trying to make the air turn a couple of bends instead of going straight from the front into the throttle body. Looks like you are trying to get it to come from the side, down and twist once more into the TB?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 PM
Suzie Italiano
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1993 Corvette , that I installed a Blackwing SLP Cold Air intake I got from Ecklers on . My car has got 54,000 original miles, I am the second owner , I have owned it since 98 ! I always made sure my air filters were clear and not restricted . To me , it seems as the engine is running smoother and has a bit more power to the rear wheels . I have not had it checked out on a dyno . The guys at the shop I take it to when I need service I cannot do, are very impressed, and have had offers from other customers !
Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Suzie Italiano
I always made sure my air filters were clear and not restricted .

To me , it seems as the engine is running smoother and has a bit more power to the rear wheels . I have not had it checked out on a dyno .
At some point it will be a restriction. Whether you are reaching that restriction is another issue.

Till checked out, it is a feeling you get because you have done something. It could be a placebo effect. Someone installed a 1000 cfm throttle body only and felt like a million bucks at how the car ran. It actually went a little slower.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:21 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I would always recommend some sort of better intake filter on ANY car ! AFE claims 15-18 HP on their CAI for the C7 and most all other makers claim something similar
Also I am a huge fan of a "MUFFLER DELETE" on the C7--You pay a huge "Corvette tax" on anything Corvette A cat back exhaust can cost you anywhere from $1200 to $2500
A muffler delete ? about $200
Because the C7 has 4 cats it is NOT a rough horribly sounding tractor sound- When 1st started yes it barks loud but then mellows out While cruising you can hear the radio-- talk on the phone easily Then when flooring it it has a great muscle car note---
Old 07-16-2020, 06:06 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
I would always recommend some sort of better intake filter on ANY car ! AFE claims 15-18 HP on their CAI for the C7 and most all other makers claim something similar
Also I am a huge fan of a "MUFFLER DELETE" on the C7--You pay a huge "Corvette tax" on anything Corvette A cat back exhaust can cost you anywhere from $1200 to $2500
A muffler delete ? about $200
Because the C7 has 4 cats it is NOT a rough horribly sounding tractor sound- When 1st started yes it barks loud but then mellows out While cruising you can hear the radio-- talk on the phone easily Then when flooring it it has a great muscle car note---

Thanks for the update on the C7 in the C4 section.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:40 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Thanks for the update on the C7 in the C4 section.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:29 AM
txmtxm999
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any suggestions for LT headers? I have a '88 L98, I live in Cali so it's illegal but I can figure shipping out. I've heard TPIS is good but can't find any products of them on their site. I know you posted this years ago but would love a response

Last edited by Sabre34; 06-25-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:30 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by txmtxm999
Any suggestions for LT headers? I have a '88 L98, I live in Cali so it's illegal but I can figure shipping out. I've heard TPIS is good but can't find any products of them on their site. I know you posted this years ago but would love a response
Then learn to use the forum correctly -- including the search tool. With your first post, you pulled up a 10-12yr old thread on air induction -- to ask about headers. Here, you are doing it again -- albeit a year old thread. Either start a thread about headers OR use the search function to look for threads with HEADERS in the title! The problem with what you are doing is people won't enter "your" thread looking for header discussion. Maybe will just leave. For instance, they might assume you're not very bright.

It REALLY doesn't help you're asking for headers in a state that doesn't allow them. Kind of a double-whammy IMO.

BTW...Have fun pulling the headers every year for inspection. And...putting the AIR stuff back on -- unless you're going to look for AIR equipped headers? Check out McJacks....
https://www.vetteheaders.com/c4-corvette-headers/ I know jack-chit about Cali header laws. But, I've read they won't allow ANYTHING. Maybe that means you can't even put a set of coated, ported stock manifolds on it?

Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 AM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by txmtxm999
Good question worthy of a new thread.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe