C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:22 AM
corvette92racer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Hey guys,
I have a 1992 Chevy Corvette Coupe with the LT1 motor. I'm thinking of installing a cold air intake and wonder what people's thoughts are on this in terms of if I should do it and if so what is the best intake to buy. A few options are:
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...-1996-lt1.html
https://www.zip-corvette.com/90-96-v...tem-black.html
These are the only cold air intake systems I have found for my corvette if there are others please let me know of better suggestions. Currently I have the stock intake system which has a K & N air filter:
https://www.carid.com/1992-chevy-cor...377130711.html
So, to summarize...I'm wondering if I should change the intake system to a cold air intake looking at the benefits out doing any negatives. As well as any effects that cold result from this change like could it mess with any of my sensors? Please let me know, thank you.

Also, I apologize in advance i posted this thread in the discussion page but I meant to put it in the performance section. I didn't know how to delete the thread in the discussion page.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:10 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Cold air is better, end of story. I will tell you that most cars I have owned and logged data on, once the car is moving you get pretty close to ambient temps. I have nto done this on a C4 Corvette, so I am not sure of what the difference will be. I can tell you this, you will not feel a big power boost from a Cold Air Intake, but you may free up some ponies. It is a relatively cheap to get one and usually super easy to install. It won't hurt anything, but it won't be a game change either. I will warn you though, once the mod bug hits, it won't go away.

Since you are new here and I assume new to modifying your Corvette since a CAI is usually one of the first mods one does, I want to give you some advice not directly related to the CAI. My advice would be to sit down and decide what you want your car to be. Do you want to go down the road of a 1/4 mile racer, autocross, a long trip cruiser, weekend toy, or show car? A Corvette can do all of these well out of the box, but does none of them great. After you decide what you want it to be, get a piece of paper and write out what you want to change. Want a bigger motor? Wheels/Tires? Bigger Brakes? Custom interior/stereo with modern conveniences? Once this is done, start writing out the parts you will need and looking up their prices.

This will help you set a budget and a priority of getting parts. It will prevent you from buying things you will not use later and plan the work out. Planning the work out is so you don't have to take things apart twice to do two different things.

If you do buy the CAI, go ahead and get an Airfoil too. I think both of these mods are good first mods. Both are proven to increase output. Don't expect either separately or combined to make a difference. I would suggest looking into an exhaust system as well. It changes the experience and supports future modifications as does the CAI. Unless your long term plans include a super or turbo charger. Then the CAI is a waste.
The following users liked this post:
BatmobileLT4 (05-15-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 01:19 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There are no negatives to doing a true cold air setup, not many positives either. It looks good, sometimes sounds good, but isn't really doing much in terms of adding power. Note I mean a TRUE cold air, the SLP unit for the later cars is not a true one, it breathes the same air. Vortex Rammer is a true cold air setup and is similar to the SLP made for earlier cars. Mine is the latter but it doesn't do what they advertise.

If you want power, put it into 1.6 RR, headers, cam, head changes, etc. Do not increase the TB size, do not buy an airfoil either.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:50 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

$310....does it Ram air or do they like the name?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

$310....does it Ram air or do they like the name?
zip has the same item for $279.99
Old 01-28-2019, 04:45 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by vader86
Do not increase the TB size, do not buy an airfoil either.
Buy the air foil. Not much else out there cheaper and easier to install that can actually give dyno proven HP. Even if it is small.

A Super charger kit Cost $5000, at a 30% improvement on 300HP that's .018hp/$ (This is being generous and talking about crank hp)
An Air Foil can be had for under $50 and net 2.4hp at the wheels and a bump across the curve. That is .048RWHP/$.

Pretty goo money spent if you ask me. Here is a dyno graph from a guy who tested it.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:52 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KyleF
Buy the air foil. Not much else out there cheaper and easier to install that can actually give dyno proven HP. Even if it is small.

A Super charger kit Cost $5000, at a 30% improvement on 300HP that's .018hp/$ (This is being generous and talking about crank hp)
An Air Foil can be had for under $50 and net 2.4hp at the wheels and a bump across the curve. That is .048RWHP/$.

Pretty goo money spent if you ask me. Here is a dyno graph from a guy who tested it.
For every dyno I've seen tell me that the airfoil is great I've seen one that shows zero gain, plus the dyno itself can vary a few hp between runs on the same engine with no changes. Therefore I have never and will never recommend anyone put a paperweight into their TB.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:01 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

If you want to feel some decent differences in the seat of your pants and really want to have a quicker car, save the money youre about to waste and put it towards a rear end gear change to a taller gear. You can probably buy a used chunk for a few hundo and have something that made a real difference in the characteristics of your Vette and enhance your driving experience.

Another thing to remember is, an engine is simply an air pump.... why do you want to force more air into it, but not be able to get it out? So, obviously you'll want to have a less restrictive exhaust system to accomplish that task. A cold air intake and a silly air foil will really be doing nothing for you anyway until you're in the higher rpm ranges. Do you drive the car in those rpm ranges often and for any length of time? Id guess no...

Think about what you want from the car and devise a plan based on the results you're looking for. Do you want a cool looking cold air intake that wont do very much or a tin or plastic air foil that cant be seen anyhow and gives you almost no return? Save your dough. Do a gear swap, get a set of quality Long Tube headers with hi flo cats and you'll have a nice sounding car that is both enjoyable and fast enough to be a respectable street car.

Last edited by 81c3; 01-28-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:27 PM
KyleF
Drifting

For every dyno I've seen tell me that the airfoil is great I've seen one that shows zero gain, plus the dyno itself can vary a few hp between runs on the same engine with no changes. Therefore I have never and will never recommend anyone put a paperweight into their TB.
Well, certainly doesn't hurt and GMHTP published it as picking up a hp or too as well.

Use one or not, it may be the difference of 2hp. Big deal. You can't do anything else to your car that arguably improves performance for $50. It would also be a good time to give the TB and IAC passages a good clean while you are in there. A good hour of quality time with your car.

Amazes me how butt hurt people get on the internet. Sheesh!

I also recommend a gear change, but as I said above... consider the long term plan before you select a ratio. I am not going below 3.54 right now because I am supercharged and have traction issues. Going lower would mean other items would need to be in the works with wheels/tires/suspension. These are not in my plans as I want my C4 to be as stealthy of a performer as a C4 can be. The whine and exhaust note will be the only outward indication that it's not stock. This is my preference and intention. You should lay out your own plan before buying anything.

TBH, you gould go far with a 3.73, 1.6RR, Long Tube Headers, Exhaust, and a good tune up. The LT1 Vettes are not slow cars. All the ideas on here are good modifications.

just remember a well thought out package with components meant to compliment each other will perform better than parts just thrown together. No matter how shiny, who's name is on them, or how much you paid.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:00 PM
corvette92racer
Advanced

If you do buy the CAI, go ahead and get an Airfoil too. I think both of these mods are good first mods. Both are proven to increase output. Don't expect either separately or combined to make a difference. I would suggest looking into an exhaust system as well. It changes the experience and supports future modifications as does the CAI. Unless your long term plans include a super or turbo charger. Then the CAI is a waste.
Thank you for your response, I feel that you do have a lot of important key points which I have thought about prior to considering an Air Intake. I do intend on getting an exhaust regardless of the intake, most likely the borla s type or corsa. So do you recommend an air foil and intake? If so Which one and why? Also should I just get a CAI or Just an air foil?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM
corvette92racer
Advanced

Note I mean a TRUE cold air, the SLP unit for the later cars is not a true one, it breathes the same air. Vortex Rammer is a true cold air setup and is similar to the SLP made for earlier cars. Mine is the latter but it doesn't do what they advertise.

If you want power, put it into 1.6 RR, headers, cam, head changes, etc. Do not increase the TB size, do not buy an airfoil either.
Thank you for your response, I do plan on getting an exhaust most likely a borla s-type or corsa. I will do engine mods latter but do you think a vortex rammer is the way to go interms of intakes and if i should run into needing a new filter are they easy to install
Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 PM
corvette92racer
Advanced

Where do I buy an air foil from, can you provide links to the best one I should buy to go with the vortex rammer or slp CAI or even with a borla stype or corsa exhaust. Also, are they easy to install and are their directions on it?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:15 PM
corvette92racer
Advanced

So what do you suggest I do, I already intend on installing a borla s type or corsa exhaust. I thought a CAI would be a good addition with an air foil I just want to know the best ones to buy. And which ones wont give me the most trouble down the line with repairs and maintenance. Like easily replaceable air filter for cheap etc.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:22 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by corvette92racer
Thank you for your response, I feel that you do have a lot of important key points which I have thought about prior to considering an Air Intake. I do intend on getting an exhaust regardless of the intake, most likely the borla s type or corsa. So do you recommend an air foil and intake? If so Which one and why? Also should I just get a CAI or Just an air foil?
I honestly don't think there is much of a difference. I have always liked SLP components, but Holley made one as well. I would buy a used one in good shape. I do recommend you add and airfoil. If for no other reason than to have an excuse to pull your intake piping off and give the throttle body and IAC passages a good clean while you are at it. Use THROTTLE BODY CLEANER and a soft rag to do this. As you see, the performance increase is arguable, but at least it's not like one of those tornado inserts that have actually been proven to rob performance.
Yes on a CAI, but make sure it has smooth piping. Its about getting restriction out.
Yes on the exhaust as well. I have a Corsa... too quiet for my taste but very high quality in build and appearance. No complaints.

Even after you get all three of these done, don't expect the car to perform much different. The air intake and exhaust are pretty OK for a stock engine, but they will help as you add more later. You will see gains, but it won't be huge. You will enjoy the new sounds and it will change the experience to a more sporty one. Especially the exhaust.

Last edited by KyleF; 01-29-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

These are the only cold air intake systems I have found for my corvette if there are others please let me know of better suggestions.
Haven't seen many cold air systems that aren't great on paper. Consistently pick up power on a dyno, not yet. Does it make the installer feel better that the owner paid money and will get placebo effects? Absolutely. I'd save your money and spend it on good booze or save it for something substantial. Most of the time, if it is cheap and easy, it probably isn't good.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:14 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
Haven't seen many cold air systems that aren't great on paper. Consistently pick up power on a dyno, not yet. Does it make the installer feel better that the owner paid money and will get placebo effects? Absolutely. I'd save your money and spend it on good booze or save it for something substantial. Most of the time, if it is cheap and easy, it probably isn't good.
He has his mind made up on spending money fruitlessly on things that will only give him minimal if any gains...from the air foil to the cat back he might pick up 10 whp... LOL... .whatever man.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 81c3
He has his mind made up on spending money fruitlessly on things that will only give him minimal if any gains...from the air foil to the cat back he might pick up 10 whp... LOL... .whatever man.
Minimal would be great. Still, the racing product stickers are good for 10 HP not the air foil alone.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe

Old 01-30-2019, 11:04 AM
vader86
Team Owner

So what do you suggest I do, I already intend on installing a borla s type or corsa exhaust. I thought a CAI would be a good addition with an air foil I just want to know the best ones to buy. And which ones wont give me the most trouble down the line with repairs and maintenance. Like easily replaceable air filter for cheap etc.
None of them would really give you the payback on the money youre spending. CAIs are not all that helpful, it doesn't do anything for me, and I run a 398. It looks good, sounds good, but I've not seen results from it.

Save your money on things that add real power, like roller rockers. Go ahead with the exhaust, but catback exhaust mods don't do as much for LT1 as they do L98, its more about your sound preference than anything. Headers will give power though.

Last edited by vader86; 01-30-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:22 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
Minimal would be great. Still, the racing product stickers are good for 10 HP not the air foil alone.
ESPECIALLY.... if its a red "R"....
Old 01-30-2019, 12:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 81c3
ESPECIALLY.... if its a red "R"....
Lighter wallet, higher speed.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Thoughts/Suggestions 1992 Corvette Coupe