C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Too much fuel with new injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 AM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If they are open then you have no pressure soon shut down and it won't build pressure since it quickly bleeds off. 1 failure, sure. 8? You probably have better odds with the lottery.
So, you think that at least one is probably stuck? Could that explain the volume of fuel they say they saw?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:17 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by rblakeney
So, you think that at least one is probably stuck? Could that explain the volume of fuel they say they saw?
IDK. I'm saying that it is highly unlikely that 8 are stuck. I don't know if even one is stuck.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Red 91
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Fixed the timing.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

You can test the injectors yourself.

I did this while I had my car out. Wanted to make sure they were clean and also not leaking. Worked out great. Not super high tech but one is stuck open you will know it once you press the button on the carb cleaner can.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:29 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Cool video. I'll give it a try.

FIC has gladly agreed to take these back with no problems. Good folks. I bought these late last year when they had a sale and they have been on a shelf since. They suggested that one or more can indeed be stuck open since sitting this long. My mechanic should have "lubricated them and given them a click before installation". This is not outlined on their installation sheet and I am not a real mechanic, so I do not know if this is common knowledge.

The stock Multecs are working fine for now at 30 years and 61,000 miles, but I suspect I am on borrowed time given their reputation. Are the later year L98s running an upgraded injector?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:47 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Were the injectors rebuilt ones ? I spoke to FIC about buying during one of their sales and they said that it was not a good idea to buy a rebuilt if you were not going to install them relatively soon after receipt. They also said if I went ahead bought them, it would be advisable to send them back so the could check them out before installation.

This does not apply to new ones.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:20 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Originally Posted by drcook
Were the injectors rebuilt ones ? I spoke to FIC about buying during one of their sales and they said that it was not a good idea to buy a rebuilt if you were not going to install them relatively soon after receipt. They also said if I went ahead bought them, it would be advisable to send them back so the could check them out before installation.

This does not apply to new ones.
Yes, rebuilt. I don't understand why this is an issue with rebuilt but apparently it is. I suppose the plunger just gets dry and won't slide.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:29 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I seem to remember that the person I talked to said the chemicals they use to clean them gums up after sitting, or something along this order.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Interesting update on this story. FIC has developed and is now offering an injector lube kit to address the problem I experienced. Here's a video:

I ended up keeping my injectors and not sending them back because I will ultimately need them. This kit will come in handy at that time. At $75 I think it's reasonable given that the kit has a nice battery powered "controller" to cycle the injector. I have seen YouTubes on this subject where guys cobble together this thing but I do not have the parts on the shelf to do it.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 AM
skinnyt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought 8 new fuel injectors one was stock open and it flooded the hole engine up to the heads...it was a mess
Old 04-22-2019, 02:30 PM
Tinman28
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnyt
I bought 8 new fuel injectors one was stock open and it flooded the hole engine up to the heads...it was a mess
exact same thing happened to me. Tearing down the L98 to get to injectors is a pain. Remove all the spark plugs and crank over the motor just to get out any pooled gasoline in cylinder. It will make a mess but it is what it is. Good luck

Quick Reply: Too much fuel with new injectors