Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vansteel Coilovers Install

Old 02-04-2019, 11:48 PM
l98tpi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor
Default Vansteel Coilovers Install

After setting the C4 aside for a couple years to focus on the C6, I finally got around to ordering coilovers for my C4. I have seen a few threads on here but not a lot. I ordered the coilovers from Vansteel late December and received them a week or so ago. And with the heat wave we had come through Southern Ohio this past Sunday, I couldn't resist the temptation to install these. I had already removed the transverse composites in mid December. When I received the new coilovers from Vansteel I removed them to inspect and they appeared of good quality. I started the install with the rear since I figured this would be the most difficult to install due to space. I followed right along the instructions included from Vansteel. Most notable thing I would mention would be make sure you swap your bolts around on your torque arms (dog bones) so you have clearance for the adjustment rings (spanners) and I did find that mounting the longer end of the upper mounting bracket at the rearward position made the alignment of the coilover better. The upper and lower mounts fit nicely with good precision. I did use one shim on driver side lower coilover mount to make the fit tight. Up front was easy, if you can install new shocks, you can install the fronts. I did replace the lower ball joints while I had everything apart and that was the worst part of this install. Pretty simple and straight forward with precise fitment. I have attached some pictures that may help if anyone decides to install these coilovers on their C4. Mine is a 91 so I think pre 88's may be a little different up front. Lastly, I see no issue with installing rear sway bar, but supposedly there may be a slight alteration for the front. Just doing a visual now, there doesn't seem like there will be, but I will post after I do get to the front sway bar install which may be this weekend or the next.

Upper Mount Passneger side

Passenger Side

See orientation of the bolt for the torque arm.

This pic shows both mounts, upper and lower.

Orientation of coilover to toque arm bolt , clearance

Better pic of clearance. Your adjustment for Compression and rebound will be towards the center of the car.

Front has plenty of clearance and you can see the ease of install here. The fronts are inverted. You clould flip if you wanted but might be more of a pain to adjust. Not sure.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:02 AM
blackozvet
CF Senior Member

There are a couple of differences between early and late C4,
the front on the later model is easier to deal with as the tower is wider - Vansteel overcome fitment issues by running the shock upside down.
the rear on the earlier model is probably easier to fit the coil over as you dont need a new upper mount, it will bolt up the original bracket.

using spherical bearings on the shocks makes life a lot easier too.

if you run 8" rear springs it will get rid of the problem of being close to that trailing arm bolt. When you use the Vansteel rear brackets you lose some space making the coil over spring adjuster lower and right next to the trailing arm bolt. Everyone seems to use 9" or 10" springs on the rear, whereas 8" is a much better option.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM
l98tpi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I didnít measure, but Iím confident I have 8Ē coils.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 AM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

I'm curious about something. What is the difference in leverage between the stock rear shock mount bolt vs the Van Steel adapter bracket. IOW, measuring from the center of the ear on the knuckle to the center of the shock eye, what are the distances for the two setups?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:10 PM
l98tpi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I can measure what the distance is now. Tell me from what point to the center of the mount for eye of coilover and I’ll try to get tonight
Old 02-06-2019, 03:04 PM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by l98tpi View Post
I can measure what the distance is now. Tell me from what point to the center of the mount for eye of coilover and Iíll try to get tonight

Can you give us the distance between the two red lines, please? I can measure the stock setup on my 96. Thanks very much!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 PM
l98tpi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Distance between the two red lines is 2.75" . Also here is pict that shows the stock mount vs VanSteel Bracket. The mounting point of my shocks compared to the coilover probably moved less than .5"

VanSteel lower rear coilover mount bracket compared to stock shock mount bolt

Old 02-07-2019, 09:42 AM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by l98tpi View Post
Distance between the two red lines is 2.75" . Also here is pict that shows the stock mount vs VanSteel Bracket. The mounting point of my shocks compared to the coilover probably moved less than .5"
Thanks for that info. You knew what I was trying to compare. I was curious about added stress to that mounting ear.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:32 PM
mxnuke
CF Senior Member

Thanks for posting your install. Going to do coil overs this spring, still trying to decide what brand of kit to use. Most info Iím finding points to the Vansteel kit. Good luck !
Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 PM
l98tpi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Got the anti-roll bars installed today. I switched to heim enlinks which I got a few years ago just never used. I like to use these for ease of disconnecting the bar for corner balancing and have less resistance to movement than the stock bar mounts. No issues with clearance front or rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vansteel Coilovers Install

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: