Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 Stance

Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Hammerhead69
CF Senior Member

Default 89 Stance

My 89 convertible sits about 1/2 lower on the driver side. Is this normal? Is there any way to correct it? Am I too OCD?
Old 02-10-2019, 03:57 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In II Veteran

The only way I'd found to address that issue is to use lowering bolts in the rear and just trim the passenger side down a little.

I think this happens over time due to the extra weight of the driver with no passenger for balance out.

Not OCD IMO, as we like our beauties to look/perform to their best.
The Following User Says Thank You to 65Z01 For This Useful Post:
Hammerhead69 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:25 PM
TorchTarga94
CF Senior Member

Not OCD, but it is common through out the C2,C3, and C4. Only way to properly fix is with new springs OR coilover conversion.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorchTarga94 For This Useful Post:
Hammerhead69 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 AM
gerardvg
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65Z01 View Post
The only way I'd found to address that issue is to use lowering bolts in the rear and just trim the passenger side down a little.

I think this happens over time due to the extra weight of the driver with no passenger for balance out.

Not OCD IMO, as we like our beauties to look/perform to their best.

Check the front spring for cracks, usually we can have a slightly longer bolt in the passenger side rear to compensate.
Easy to get a couple of new bolts for the rear with two nuts on each to lock it in position, then adjust to compensate for the sag.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 AM
tequilaboy
CF Senior Member

See all that heavy stuff on the driver's side? The steering wheel, steering column, misc. controls, battery, pedals, brake booster, parking brake lever, ABS, not to mention the driver...move as much weight as possible to the passenger side to help with the static weight distribution, or add ballast to the passenger side with a water dummy or passenger.

Unfortunately, the battery is the only thing that is really practical to relocate cross-car. Plenty of room for a big heavy battery in the rr storage compartment.

No good way to adjust the pre-load or run different rate springs on each corner, so you're limited to jacking the rear with the rear spring bolts (like a Nascar wedge adjustment), but this will screw up the corner weights since you will need to remove weight on the rr to get it to sit lower when it is already the light corner.

You can also pre-load the sway bars a bit and could add a little shock gas pressure which will mimic pre-load with pressure adjustable gas shocks in an attempt to raise the driver's side, or just run a conventional or depleted shock on the passenger side and a fresh high pressure gas shock on the driver's side. This will also tend to screw up the corner weights even more, but aesthetics are more important to some people.

Edit: forgot about the rear spring shims...you could also play with the shims where the rear spring is mounted (poor man's solution). Typically these are all moved below the spring when lowering the ride height, but could be used also to angle the rear spring a bit with respect to the chassis by leaving one or more shims above the spring on the driver's side and moving all the passenger side shims below the spring for example.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 02-15-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 Stance

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: