C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c4 throttle body coolant cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Gene805
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c4 throttle body coolant cover

1985 Vette. I broke the throttle body coolant cover and cant seem to find one anywhere. I can buy an entire used throttle body but not just the coolant cover. I can buy a brand new throttle body and the IAC valve that screws into the coolant cover but no one seems to sell the coolant cover. Surely I'm not the first to experience this problem. I've searched the forums and haven't found anything. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Do you mean to say the "Throttle Body Plate"??? The rectangular cover plate with six small bolts??? If so, there are many out there for sale online. Not sure what the "coolant cover" you talk about is.

Last edited by RetroGuy; 02-10-2019 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gene805 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Tunedport90
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Tpis makes one, there is ebay and the classifieds c4 section here.
The following users liked this post:
Gene805 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Gene805
Cruising

The throttle body coolant cover I'm talking about is on the opposite side of the throttle body from the throttle body plate. The IAC valve and 2 coolant line run through the coolant cover.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Gene805
Cruising

OK, I got it, I was using the wrong search term I got from a diagram. I found IAC housing listed and will purchase one asap. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it leaking coolant? If it is the easy solution is to bypass the coolant lines for the Throttle body. Then there is no coolant in the Throttle Body any more and as long as if isn't leaking in unmetered air then you are good to go. You might even see a little performance gain out of it by not heating the air going into the engine.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-vette
You might even see a little performance gain out of it by not heating the air going into the engine.
You will see UP TO 10 HP would be my estimate if he did the bypass. The theory is nice but in real world application, if he did get anything, it would probably be so negligible that the mind would have to work overtime to imagine the gain. It will make it easier to access the TB though.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree Aklim. Any real HP increases would be real hard to quantify. There are a lot of non performance benefits such as not having to worry about coolant leaking from the throttle body and not having to make a big mess when you remove the throttle body for service. I can also tell you that the throttle body does stay A LOT cooler. When I have my car out at the races I find that I can safely touch the throttle body and not get burned. Before I did the bypass that thing would melt the skin right off of you. So it might be more accurate to say that instead of a performance gain you instead suffer less performance loss due to heat soak as you run the car hard in hot weather?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-vette
I agree Aklim. Any real HP increases would be real hard to quantify. There are a lot of non performance benefits such as not having to worry about coolant leaking from the throttle body and not having to make a big mess when you remove the throttle body for service.

I can also tell you that the throttle body does stay A LOT cooler. When I have my car out at the races I find that I can safely touch the throttle body and not get burned. Before I did the bypass that thing would melt the skin right off of you. So it might be more accurate to say that instead of a performance gain you instead suffer less performance loss due to heat soak as you run the car hard in hot weather?
As to servicing the TB or anything that removes the TB, I'd definitely do it. Actually, I have done it.

I would agree it would be cooler since the coolant might be about 200 degrees. So would it heat up the air by a bit? Definitely. How much? I really don't know since I haven't done the calculations for how much energy the warmer TB imparts. On the street, do I think it would make a difference? I don't think so since we couldn't feel even a hundredths of a second. On the track, if a thousandths of a second could mean a win or loss, I'd be so over it.

Last edited by aklim; 02-10-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 throttle body coolant cover

Quick Reply: c4 throttle body coolant cover