C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fan shroud hits Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:23 PM
mitzo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan shroud hits Sway Bar

Hi all, I have a question. I am restoring my 1989 Corvette I got few months ago. Yesterday I have changed the fan shroud because the old one was broken and the lower housings that covered the shroud screws were shoved (I suppose due to accident by some previous owner). When I installed the new fan shroud, it hits the sway bar on both low mountings - places where the two screws are mounted. In other words, there is no gap between the sway bar and the bottom of the shroud where the screws are attached to the lower radiator shroud.

The sway bar and frame donīt seem to bent. After the close inspection I found out that the upper radiator shroud has been changed - it is from the 1984 model (air filter housing holes additionally drilled, different emission stickers than I saw on 1989 etc). I donīt know if the lower radiator shroud is original, but I suppose it is not. My theory is that somebody replaced upper and lower radiator housing from ī84 which now causes the fan shroud misfit.

I have read in some thread that the radiator on ī85 (and later) is differently angled that on ī84 config. So this leads me to the question for you:
Did the later C4īs use different lower or upper (or both??) radiator shrouds than ī84?

I donīt know any owner of ī84 Vette so I canīt judge ....Thank you everyone for your help in advance...

Last edited by mitzo; 02-11-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:18 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

My friend has a 90 and it is slanted a bunch, my 85 is straight up and down.

Last edited by xrav22; 02-11-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 PM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

The 84 used a curved sway-bar to clear the shroud.

Get notified of new replies

To Fan shroud hits Sway Bar

Quick Reply: Fan shroud hits Sway Bar