C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 lt1, harmonic balancer wobbling off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

According to my GM parts lookup the part number for the bolt is 09442448

See item 143 here 93 block assy IPB

A search of the GM Part number brings up this http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/09442448.html
Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Droldaerd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by belairbrian
According to my GM parts lookup the part number for the bolt is 09442448

See item 143 here 93 block assy IPB

A search of the GM Part number brings up this http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/09442448.html
YOU THE REAL MVP!!! This was exactly what i wanted! I couldn'tn find a parts fische with the bolt part numbers, and even a website with dimensions. Thank you!

Last edited by Droldaerd; 02-19-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

There is a difference between a Small Block Chevy and an LT1. On a SBC the harmonic balancer is held by a bolt and has a pulley bolted to it.

An LT1 has a hub held by one bolt and it is NOT keyed so if it is removed you must mark it and the engine to ensure it is reinstalled in the same position. The balancer/pulley is one unit and it is held by 3 bolts.

I haven't seen it mentioned but if you have 2 bolts missing from the balancer. you need to verify the threaded holes in the hub are not damaged.
Who cares which way it's installed? It has absolutely no bearing on balance (it's neutral) or timing.

-- Joe
Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by anesthes
Who cares which way it's installed? It has absolutely no bearing on balance (it's neutral) or timing.

-- Joe
It matters because the OP was asking about the three bolts that hold the balancer to the hub. Then someone posted that the balancer is held by one bolt and the three bolts only hold the pulley. THAT IS WRONG.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:41 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It matters because the OP was asking about the three bolts that hold the balancer to the hub. Then someone posted that the balancer is held by one bolt and the three bolts only hold the pulley. THAT IS WRONG.
On an LT1?

1 bolt on the crank hub, 3 for the pulley. The pulley has an integrated vibration damper. There is no balancer on an LT1, the front is neutral balance.

Technically the factory indexed it with a white mark pointing to 12'oclock.

-- Joe
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by anesthes
On an LT1?

1 bolt on the crank hub, 3 for the pulley. The pulley has an integrated vibration damper. There is no balancer on an LT1, the front is neutral balance.

Technically the factory indexed it with a white mark pointing to 12'oclock.

-- Joe
Go back and read the first part of the post by Bud40oz. He

As far as the damper not being a balancer, not sure that is entirely accurate. After the assy was installed, weights were added to the outer ring to fine tune the balance. The FSM calls for installing matching weights to a new assy when it installed to maintain the balance of the rotating assy. This in effect makes a custom assy for each engine.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:49 AM
Droldaerd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone! I learned a lot in the thread. Car is roaring once again!

Pulley bolts are flange, sae 7/16 - 14, 0.88inch length. Couldn't readily find 0.88 length bolts, so I fit a few washers on them to get their thread lengths correct.

Was able to reach 2 of 3 bolts from the bottom of the car like others suggested before having to turn the engine some.

Didnt need to remove any other items to reach it.

I got lots planned for this car, but it's nice to be rolling again!

Last edited by Droldaerd; 02-28-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Go back and read the first part of the post by Bud40oz. He

As far as the damper not being a balancer, not sure that is entirely accurate. After the assy was installed, weights were added to the outer ring to fine tune the balance. The FSM calls for installing matching weights to a new assy when it installed to maintain the balance of the rotating assy. This in effect makes a custom assy for each engine.
The front on an L98 and LT1 is neutral. There is no counter weight.

There are holes that weights can be added to, to offset an imbalance. This is only in case there is a balance problem with the rotating assembly.

All 1pc rear main seal cranks are balanced neutral in the front. If one left with an imbalance it was a mistake.

-- Joe

Quick Reply: 1995 lt1, harmonic balancer wobbling off.