C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Exhaust question

Hi, anyone on here installed a set of long tube headers and also a Borla cat back system to mate up with it without cats? I am curious is the center to center of exhaust the same width as the center to center of the collectors to be able to just tie in with straight pieces of pipe or were bends involved? I am assuming with such limited room under car there is not a lot of room for them to actually not line up. just curious what others did to mate a cat back system to long tubes. pics would be awesome, thanks
Old 02-24-2019, 09:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I have a 91 with TPIS headers. The headers and Y-Pipe eliminated the pre-cats. I hooked the end of the Y-pipe to a cat and the other end of the cat had a flange to hook onto the Borla system. I would think you could cut off that flange or get a 2 bolt flange and make it work/
Old 02-24-2019, 09:37 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I have an LT1 which is tru duals, the factory cats which will now be eliminated had a flange on drivers side and slip on on passenger side. this was my old system. you can see how ds is flange and further forward. my Borla system is a direct replacement for this set up flange/slip. but now with the Long tubes it looks as if ds I will have have to cut off Borla flange where it attaches to cat and use pipe on each side to tie in. hoping width is the same on Borla and headers to just use straight pipe.
attached is what I pulled out.

Last edited by BLKMAMBA; 02-24-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

When I was using a MF catback to connect to EM long tubes they did not line up. IIRC passenger side was a straight shot, but drivers side needed some bends.

Obviously it depends on header and catback brand but think you will need custom piping from the resonator to header flanges.
The following users liked this post:
BLKMAMBA (02-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust question

Quick Reply: Exhaust question