C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Still tryin to get my 88 running

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Eddie77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still tryin to get my 88 running

My car was stalling out once in awhile..no engine light on.. every once in awhile my engine light would flash on.. now when it was on I did have a service operator check and code 36 came up mass air flow sensor..
I took it to a garage and had the oil changed mass air flow sensor cleaned and ICM unit put in the distributor the car won't start now I had two tone home from the garage..
I then put a brand new mass air flow sensor on.. mass air flow sensor relay and burn off switch....no luck !!
The car would start for about a minute then died out..
I put a new fuel pump on .. new fuel pump sock the changed the fuel filter.. fuel filter relay..no luck!! Car starts for a couple minutes and dies out.. it appears the fuel pump is not coming on until I then reset the computer in the car then the car will start for a couple minutes and die out...
I read online that low oil pressure will cause a fuel pump to shut off is that what I'm looking at since I just had the oil changed...
If that is the issue will changing the oil pressure sensor and oil pressure switch fix my problem..
I'm not sure if I have low oil pressure I'm just saying I read online low oil pressure will turn off the fuel pump what else could it be I'm lost here please help!!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:23 PM
Gunho
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure at the rail yet? You can buy one pretty cheap at Harbor freight. I get a lot of use out of mine between the family cars.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 PM
Eddie77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

No fuel pressure at tge rail..
Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 PM
Gunho
Racer

I would double check the power to the pump. Often the ground gets screwed up when replacing pump. Also your oil pressure should be good if you just changed the oil. But I would not rule out a bad pressure sensor. I’ve bought 3 for my LT1. And they all read different pressures. I might try an A/C Delco from Rockauto next. The sensors seem pretty cheaply made and are prone to falling apart.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:53 AM
Gunho
Racer

Here’s another cool tool from harbor freight. Great for testing spark. $7.99.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

A timing light will work just as well.

Originally Posted by Gunho
Here’s another cool tool from harbor freight. Great for testing spark. $7.99.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:32 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you jumper ALDL connector "G" (lower left) to +12Vdc it will power the fuel pump so long as jumpered.

Get notified of new replies

To Still tryin to get my 88 running

Quick Reply: Still tryin to get my 88 running