C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 40th anniversary edition convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:38 PM
astro5169
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 40th anniversary edition convertible

I have a stock 93 with automatic.

i want to add some power to this 350.

anyone want to share wisdom on what to do? Can I add a turbo or supercharger?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:21 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by astro5169
I have a stock 93 with automatic.

i want to add some power to this 350.

anyone want to share wisdom on what to do? Can I add a turbo or supercharger?
3.54 Gear, Long tube Headers, tuning and shift point optimization. Then evaluate how much further you want to go. The gear will give you a lot more pop, the headers will add some power, the tune will optimize everything. You may also want to consider a higher stall converter.

If this isn't enough for where you want to go, then the above will accentuate the supercharger. You would need another tune.

One thing to keep in mind, the supercharger kits come with a Fuel Management Unit (FMU) instead of bigger pump/injectors. I hate this about mine and will eventually get a proper sized pump/injectors and do away with the FMU. This also requires a tune.... so I am going to do injectors/pump/long tubes together.
The following users liked this post:
don hall (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Coyote swap it.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 AM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suggest you go with the gears, a transmission shift kit, a Dyno tune and be happy. Unless you plan to invest 5 times or more what the car is currently worthy consider carefully your desires.

Been there, done that. 598 rwhp with no traction. Great grocery getter with the top down here in Florida!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by RVY
Suggest you go with the gears, a transmission shift kit, a Dyno tune and be happy. Unless you plan to invest 5 times or more what the car is currently worthy consider carefully your desires.

Been there, done that. 598 rwhp with no traction. Great grocery getter with the top down here in Florida!
Well the kit is only ~$5500 depending on source. It really can be a stand alone kit and then a Tune... say another $500 of dyno and tuning time. Are you saying your or his car is worth only $1200? If so, PM me, I am a buyer with cash in hand.

The C4 is a good and affordable platform to build on... and you can build on it without making a car payment for a more expensive car. Instead of putting the money to the note, you can put the money to parts and building what you like. The argument of spending money to modify a car beyond what it is worth is laughable. Even if you bought a new car, eventually you would have spent more on it than it's worth because it depreciates. I see this with a lot of GTOs, 4th Gen F-Bodys, C4s, C5s, and soon C6s will be in this boat.

Last edited by KyleF; 03-07-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:36 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

So well said by kylef, Look at all the cars in auctions, you will never get your money back, its the fun of the ride, if you have the spare change and that is what makes you happy, have fun you only have one life.
The following users liked this post:
KyleF (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 12:34 PM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish you well with your dreams!!

$5500.00 is only the beginning. Then of course comes the necessary exhaust system and long tube headers. Followed by fuel line and pump modifications. Following that is the D44 rear end replacement. Possibly a j 55 or other brake upgrade.
Will you be doing the mechanical work? If not prepare to spend $$$.
Then of course, a different cam to take advantage of the blower might be next. And of course while the intake is off, a larger throttle body may be appropriate.
Don't forget a set of 42 or 65 lb injectors.

Now of course, What about an engine management unit. Our '93 Vettes come with a chip. Tuners are now few and far between if not extinct for "chip" vehicles.

Sharpen your pencil.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:52 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Run High Test Gas Mobil it gives my 350 93 a kick. or up grade to a ZR1
Old 03-08-2019, 11:11 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by RVY
I wish you well with your dreams!!.

Last edited by KyleF; 03-08-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:30 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by RVY
I wish you well with your dreams!!
See Above... Procharger Kit and Exhaust... that's it... been on it since 2002 and still makes 386WHP.

Originally Posted by RVY
$5500.00 is only the beginning.
Depends on goals

Originally Posted by RVY
Then of course comes the necessary exhaust system
Bull, the exhaust system is all about preference in sound. The factory exhaust is actually pretty good on the C4. It's not a restriction until over 400+hp.

Originally Posted by RVY
and long tube headers. Followed by fuel line and pump modifications. Following that is the D44 rear end replacement. Possibly a j 55 or other brake upgrade.
Why would brakes be required to add a supercharger kit. Again, this is preference and not necessary.

Originally Posted by RVY
Will you be doing the mechanical work? If not prepare to spend $$$.
Well no crap Captain Obvious. Paying others to work on your car is a major expense. Modifications or repairs... avoiding this is a big reason most members are here.

Originally Posted by RVY
Then of course, a different cam to take advantage of the blower might be next. And of course while the intake is off, a larger throttle body may be appropriate.
Again, optional and not required... especially the larger throttle body.

Originally Posted by RVY
Don't forget a set of 42 or 65 lb injectors.
Not at all required for a bolt on kit... been running an FMU for a long time

Originally Posted by RVY
Now of course, What about an engine management unit. Our '93 Vettes come with a chip. Tuners are now few and far between if not extinct for "chip" vehicles.
I guess my IROC also needs a chip

Been running for 5+ years with no tune. MSD Boost retard unit and FMU.

You sound awfully sour. The question was about adding some more power... not trying to get to a certain level. A Supercharger kit comes and can be used as a stand alone modification. Of course, if you had any bit of reading comprehension you would have seen I addressed most of that in my first post. What happened, did you spend more than you want and are still not happy?

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 40th anniversary edition convertible

Quick Reply: 1993 40th anniversary edition convertible