Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 LT4, metal flakes in my oil. Pics

Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

I'd e get a sample done, for sure.

1. You got great oil pressure.
2. Engine mostly sounds good -to me, through 'puter speakers

But...
3. Did I hear a little rod knock at 0:19 in the first vid?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Apache 84
CF Member

I no we live in a throw away area,but with this problem try starting at the Basics.
! Change oil and filter,test run engine up to operating temp,check oil pressure with capillary guage at idle and 2500 revs and compare with service manual.
2 Drain oil and remove filter and cot open filter with a correct fiter cutter ( no foreign matter will get in filte this way)
3 If there is foreign matter in filter,( flakes etc) check to see if bearing matter or steel,use a magnet to do this.
4 If it is bearing material you can remove sump and check bearing,mains and B/ends and then decide next movement.
Som e times if a engine has been stationary for a long period of time, the oil around bearing is lost back into sump and when engine is wound over to start the engine bearings run dry for a very short time,and I think this could be your problem,57000miles over 13yrs isn't a lot of use.
Iwould do my checks before throwing away money
Cheers
Old 03-10-2019, 12:32 PM
drcook
CF Senior Member

One option is to just pull off a valve cover and take a quick look.

Can't tell from the photos, is the metal flakes or specs ? The one time I helped a friend who had a bad rod bearing, it was flakes due to the beating it was taking.

Another option is to get a mechanic's stethoscope or a card board wrapping paper tube and do some listening to the engine running. If you isolate it to a particular cylinder, pull the wire from the injector. Yes that motor will run rough but if it is a rod knock, the pounding sound will go away. That is how I figured out his issue, but it was a diesel, I shorted the injector out and it quit knocking.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Churchkey
CF Senior Member

Front of the engine noise sounds like a pulley bearing use a mechanic's stethoscope to check the bearings the tensioner pulley bearing is favorite.
Also:
The belt may be dry check the belt ribs for cracks replace if necessary if no cracks put some lube on the belt.

Good oil pressure & no con rod / crank / dual mass noise.

Keep on truckin you will get it sorted.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:29 PM
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member

Sounds good guys, I will get the oil analysis ordered tomorrow. @DrCrook I wouldn't know the difference between specs and flakes. I am off from work tomorrow. So I'll probably pull the left side valve cover off.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 AM
sprink94
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bac22 View Post
LT4 are generally bullet proof, I find this odd the engine with (supposedly 51K miles) is having this problem. Maybe the LT4 recall was never done for the engine...not sure if that would cause the OPs current problems. Have you confirmed the mileage? You can't roll back mileage in an 96, but if the ECBM was changed that can cause the mileage to be different.
Damn!!!...This is fascinating to me!! Where do you find this information? I am starting a "Tech Tips" division of our Corvette Club and would love to have access to this type of information. There are a number of us that still "wrtench" on our cars and I am creating a focus group for us. This is great information...thanks for sharing.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 PM
bac22
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by sprink94 View Post
Damn!!!...This is fascinating to me!! Where do you find this information? I am starting a "Tech Tips" division of our Corvette Club and would love to have access to this type of information. There are a number of us that still "wrtench" on our cars and I am creating a focus group for us. This is great information...thanks for sharing.
Since I'm an LT4 owner, it's just one of those things I've always remember...just googled it when I saw the OP with a LT4 and found the TSB listed in another forum that I gratuitously copied.

Also check out https://www.corvsport.com/1996-c4-co...vice_Bulletins

And GM's https://my.chevrolet.com goes back to I think 1995 Vettes, maybe older. I know they've got the manual online for my 96 in PDF format.

Last edited by bac22; 03-11-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:36 PM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

did you do the oil change? it looked clean on the dipstick? personally id go grab some cheap oil, run it hard for 30 min, drain and inspect, repeat, repeat, then fill with mobil 1 if its clearing up.

and id also send that sample to blackstone.

i wouldnt get too depressed to quickly. maybe the oil had never been changed and it was full of sludge containing top end metal particles and i assume you drove it hard and got it hot. could just be cleaning out.

that happened to my 86. it was disgusting. i went through 3 oil changes of cheap oil and drove it real hard to get it hot. cleaned it right up under the valve covers.

good luck, subbed for the solution.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r View Post
personally id go grab some cheap oil, run it hard for 30 min, drain and inspect, repeat, repeat, then fill with mobil 1 if its clearing up.

and id also send that sample to blackstone.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-11-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:52 PM
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member

The kit from Blackstone should be arriving this week. Will keep everyone updated.

@VikingTrad3r yes I did the oil change. Yes, when I looked at the car, I could tell it was recently changed.

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 03-11-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: