Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'87 LED driver and turn signal relay question.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Vets87Vette

Default '87 LED driver and turn signal relay question.

2 days ago I had the resistors finally installed on my LED turn signals, all seemed good at first. The turn signals work (albeit very very slowly) when the lights are off, with the lights on however, the turn signals do not work, both green indicators start lit on the dash and the lights do not blink. I heard replacing the relay under the bread box would fix my slow blink issue, but does anyone know if it will fix them not blinking at all with the lights on as well? Or is something else going on?
Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Ed Ramberger
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vets87Vette View Post
2 days ago I had the resistors finally installed on my LED turn signals, all seemed good at first. The turn signals work (albeit very very slowly) when the lights are off, with the lights on however, the turn signals do not work, both green indicators start lit on the dash and the lights do not blink. I heard replacing the relay under the bread box would fix my slow blink issue, but does anyone know if it will fix them not blinking at all with the lights on as well? Or is something else going on?
Doesn't someone make a LED friendly flasher relay? That's a lot easier than resistors and allows system to use less current.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Vets87Vette

If you mean the EL12 relays, that's what I went and got once I saw just how slow they blink now, I spent an hour trying to find the relay location behind the bread box but it seems like the previous owner moved it.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Ed Ramberger
CF Senior Member

If you mean the EL12 relays, that's what I went and got once I saw just how slow they blink now, I spent an hour trying to find the relay location behind the bread box but it seems like the previous owner moved it.
I would ditch the resistors and find the flasher relay and replace it with the LED friendly one.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:21 PM
Z51BOB
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In II Veteran

Flasher is behind the info panel in the center section above the radio - not behind the bread box.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Vets87Vette

Originally Posted by Z51BOB View Post
Flasher is behind the info panel in the center section above the radio - not behind the bread box.
I found that 1, and replaced it with a LED friendly relay, did not solve the problem. from YouTube videos they show a another one behind the bread Box however like I said mine does not appear to be anywhere behind the bread Box or ECM where they say it is located so it looks like LED turn signals are not in my future and am currently at a los as to why they wont work with resistor and relay installed.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Ed Ramberger
CF Senior Member

I found that 1, and replaced it with a LED friendly relay, did not solve the problem. from YouTube videos they show a another one behind the bread Box however like I said mine does not appear to be anywhere behind the bread Box or ECM where they say it is located so it looks like LED turn signals are not in my future and am currently at a los as to why they wont work with resistor and relay installed.
Are you certain you didn't install a resistor that is pulling too much current? Now you have two variables in the system, and the LED friendly flasher does not require resistors.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Vets87Vette

I installed sylvania ones that everyone recommended, and like I mentioned originally, with lights off they did allow them to blink finally but with all the lights on I have no turn signals still, that's when I read about the 2 flasher relay locations and was only able to find the emergency flasher relay behind the info panel, which when replaced did not fix the issue, the turn signal relay I read is supposed to be behind the bread box, next to the ecm housing, however I dont see one there.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Ed Ramberger
CF Senior Member

I installed sylvania ones that everyone recommended, and like I mentioned originally, with lights off they did allow them to blink finally but with all the lights on I have no turn signals still, that's when I read about the 2 flasher relay locations and was only able to find the emergency flasher relay behind the info panel, which when replaced did not fix the issue, the turn signal relay I read is supposed to be behind the bread box, next to the ecm housing, however I dont see one there.
PM Sent

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: