Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what is this battery phenomenon???

Old 03-10-2019, 02:16 PM
playsdixie
CF Senior Member

Default what is this battery phenomenon???

been thinking I had a battery drain although tests show only a 33mv draw......car has power for lights/windows/etc but won't crank.....put a charger on it and it's fine....now i'm noticing that all I have to do is put the charger on it for 1 sec, and it starts perfectly and battery seems charged???? then starts and runs perfectly for days.... connections at the battery seem good, did put quick disconnects on them a month or so ago.....any ideas????
Old 03-10-2019, 02:33 PM
CorvetteRules
CF Senior Member

Do a load test on battery. Lights and windows may work, but that doesn't mean it is in good health.

Also try removing the quick disconnect you have on battery to ensure that is nor your problem.

Last edited by CorvetteRules; 03-10-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:33 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In II Veteran

How about connection at the starter/relay and ground connections??
The Following User Says Thank You to 65Z01 For This Useful Post:
playsdixie (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM
playsdixie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CorvetteRules View Post
Do a load test on battery. Lights and windows may work, but that doesn't mean it is in good health.

Also try removing the quick disconnect you have on battery to ensure that is nor your problem.
battery is new....had the problem before quick disc......now I'm wondering if the shift cable is not going all the way into park....had trouble replacing the cable....not exactly the same length and no adjustment on a 85.....can't see how the battery "trick" cures it....
Old 03-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Bad connection somewhere. No way that you're charging a batt in 1 second. You're more likely bumping connections or disturbing a bad connection somehow, in the process of hooking the charger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom400CFI For This Useful Post:
playsdixie (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 03:50 PM
bac22
CF Senior Member

Dump the quick disconnect, I had what was supposedly a USA made high quality one and it was rubbish, caused all sorts of problems with my electronics because it wouldn't hold a good connection when driving. I know you said you had the problem before getting the quick disconnect, but good to get back to a baseline before troubleshooting further.

Next I'd check the cables running to the starter motor and re-seat the fuses in the engine bay the the ECM.

Last edited by bac22; 03-11-2019 at 05:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bac22 For This Useful Post:
playsdixie (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 AM
playsdixie
CF Senior Member

been leaving the batt tender disconnected to wait for the problem to re-occur so I can test all the leads and the battery at that time...of course, the car has been starting ok now.....PIA

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: