C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 C4 engine sputters and bogs when accelerating and eventually stalls.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 PM
nathan johnson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 C4 engine sputters and bogs when accelerating and eventually stalls.

Good evening fellow Corvette enthusiast! I am new to the forum and almost at my wits end! I purchased a 1989 one owner Chevrolet Corvette C-4 with 76,000 miles in December from my boss. He took meticulous care of this vehicle and has sat in a garage at work covered for the past 15 years. In December I installed a brand new top-of-the-line battery with a higher CCA as well as A new alternator dura last gold. It ran fine for a month but then started to stall out as soon as I give it gas it sputters and then cuts off. Today I hired a mechanic and we tested the fuel pump and it was dead so we replaced it. Also replaced the fuel filter. Brand new ignition coil. Brand new air filter. Brand new full set of eight Bosch spark plugs. Brand new mass airflow sensor. Brand new fuel pump relay switch. After doing all of this it still sounds completely the same. If anyone has had this issue before please help before I dump any more money into this beautiful blue car prematurely!!

Last edited by nathan johnson; 03-10-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Did your mechanic test for proper pressure after replacing the pump and while engine was running?
The following users liked this post:
nathan johnson (09-27-2020)
Old 03-10-2019, 07:48 PM
nathan johnson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly no he did not. It was someone that I found on craigslist because I desperately wanted to get it fixed before it was going to be towed away.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:07 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Check the fuel pressure at the rail...you can get a gauge witha long hose or borrow one from an auto parts store (some of them)
Check it wiht the key on, then running, if all is well tape it to your windshield and see what it does under a load; also watch after you shut it off

Do you have the original injectors stil?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Z51BOB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sure sounds like a fuel pressure problem to me. Enough pressure to start and idle but not enough fuel at part throttle. Check the fuel pressure
Old 03-13-2019, 08:35 PM
mtmvette
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car sat for 15 years there is a chance that debris and gook are in the fuel rail and entrance way to the injectors. Something to look at. I've seen this fool some mechanics.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:23 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new to you vette!

That's a lot of parts to throw at a problem. I hope he kept your old MAF because some of the new ones don't work the same and might cause MAF codes. If the new one is working without a code then I'd keep the old one as a spare.

Post up pics of the car
Old 03-14-2019, 10:49 PM
raya123_2000
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan johnson
Good evening fellow Corvette enthusiast! I am new to the forum and almost at my wits end! I purchased a 1989 one owner Chevrolet Corvette C-4 with 76,000 miles in December from my boss. He took meticulous care of this vehicle and has sat in a garage at work covered for the past 15 years. In December I installed a brand new top-of-the-line battery with a higher CCA as well as A new alternator dura last gold. It ran fine for a month but then started to stall out as soon as I give it gas it sputters and then cuts off. Today I hired a mechanic and we tested the fuel pump and it was dead so we replaced it. Also replaced the fuel filter. Brand new ignition coil. Brand new air filter. Brand new full set of eight Bosch spark plugs. Brand new mass airflow sensor. Brand new fuel pump relay switch. After doing all of this it still sounds completely the same. If anyone has had this issue before please help before I dump any more money into this beautiful blue car prematurely!!
Here is something you can check on your car. Cost is next to zero will take about a minute to do.

1. Open Hood.
2. Next to battery check the frame for rust. (The rust will be on the frame, you can follow the Negative cable small wire,)
3. If there is rust there take a wire brush and remove it. (The small cable from the Negative cable is connected to the frame there. The big Negative cable ties to the back of the engine on the left side. A cable from the back of the engine left side connects to the frame about an 2 inched from the small negative cable)
4. After removing the rust and cleaning the 2 Ground cables with a wire brush. Replace the cables I painted the area

Ray 1990 6SP Black Vette

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 C4 engine sputters and bogs when accelerating and eventually stalls.

Quick Reply: 1989 C4 engine sputters and bogs when accelerating and eventually stalls.