Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smoke came from left side of dash.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:51 PM
kitttransam
CF Senior Member

Default Smoke came from left side of dash.

So after months of not driving the 89. I washed it up and decided to drive it since the weather is clearing up. Well it was starting to get dark turn on the headlights. Within a minute something smelled funny. Thought it was the car in front of me. Then there it was smoke coming from my dash around where the headlight switch is. Not sure if the switch burned. I removed it and the fog light switch. Did not see any burnt wires. Is this a common thing??
Old 03-10-2019, 11:56 PM
kitttransam
CF Senior Member

Ok took the switch apart. Found the burnt spot.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:13 AM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Good thing you have a good nose and enough sense to discover the problem before you lost your car or life. A new switch should take care of the issue.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:15 PM
kitttransam
CF Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what this relay is for. See all kinds of gunk in it and on the connector. Donít smell burnt or anything.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:15 PM
kitttransam
CF Senior Member

Well I got a new switch. I had the whole dash apart and inspected what wires I could see. I noticed the light for the shift indicator on the console was not working. The 3 amp fuse blew out. I do have a DVD player/ stereo in this thing. I went ahead and disconnected the illumination wire from the stereo. Not needed anyway. Not sure if that caused it but drove with the lights on and no smoking. So Iím considering this fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoke came from left side of dash.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: