C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Scan tool for ALL DTCs (1994 automatic)

Old 03-11-2019, 04:17 AM
Lonecore
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan tool for ALL DTCs (1994 automatic)

Hello everyone

I bought a 1994 Corvette with an automatic transmission and I want to restore and repair all the small problems it has. ASR isn't working, and the FX3 is also broken. The engine seems to be fine. For diagnostic I want to read all the DTCs. I know it's possible to do so with the paperclip method, but I want to be able to read the codes with a scan tool. I already have a ALDL cable.

My question is: which tool can read all DTCs - including ASR, ABS, selective ride control - from my car? I tried Datacat and Scan9494(Vette edition) but both only read engine and transmission codes, and for TunerPro RT I didn't find a definition file.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Tech1 or 1a with mass storage and other system cartridges. Generic scanners will will do powertrain and abs most common requirement for independent shops. Body systems will require GM specific scanner. IDK Tech2 will have programming for all systems in <96.

Last edited by Kevova; 03-11-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Lonecore
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That means I can only do this with these old handheld devices, and not with a windows (or mac or linux) based tool? Thats too bad...
Old 03-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It's only in the last 5-6 years GM went to laptops. Powertrain data canbe viewed with laptop. All the special functions require the " state of the art" scanner of the day. Unfortunately they are really old by today's standards. The specialized cartridges are hard to find. There was a kit for sale on this site months ago. Maybe still?
Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

never got realtime data logging to work to on my 94. No problem flashing the pcm with Tunercat but logging, forget it.

Had a 91 Pontiac that I would data log all the time, Freescan, TunerPro, etc. all worked. I had the right definition file in TunerPro for my 94 but just couldn’t get the computers talking. Tried all kinds of things that others recommended. Never worked.

Hoping someone that knows this struggle and has found success sees this thread and let’s us in on the secret.

Get notified of new replies

To Scan tool for ALL DTCs (1994 automatic)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scan tool for ALL DTCs (1994 automatic)