C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing polarizing film on dash cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Default Replacing polarizing film on dash cluster?

The Polarizing film on my cluster is going bad.. I'm going to either do it myself,or send it in and have Batee the "instrument cluster guy" do it for me.. Have any of you replaced the film yourself, and if so, how hard was it to do? I really hate dealing with electronics but it's $100.00 for him to do the film install and $60.00 for the film... WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-12-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 AM
PaZaicC4
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine last summer and it was fairly easy. Follow his video and take your time.
The following 2 users liked this post by PaZaicC4:
rblakeney (02-11-2021), WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:14 AM
t5258
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question regarding the film, I've watched the various videos Batee has on the subject & while I feel comfortable disassembling the cluster, is there any reason the film can't be applied to the outside face of the gauges? I hope I didn't miss something basic that makes this a real stoopit question, but just was looking for a technical reason why the film wouldn't work if affixed to the outer face of the cluster...
Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by t5258
I have a question regarding the film, I've watched the various videos Batee has on the subject & while I feel comfortable disassembling the cluster, is there any reason the film can't be applied to the outside face of the gauges? I hope I didn't miss something basic that makes this a real stoopit question, but just was looking for a technical reason why the film wouldn't work if affixed to the outer face of the cluster...
The film does get installed to the front of the glass lens, but you have to take the cluster apart so you can cut the old film off and replace with the new film... You can't get to the film to cut it off unless you remove the lens , and you can't get to the lens without disassembling the cluster.. WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 AM
t5258
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WW7
The film does get installed to the front of the glass lens, but you have to take the cluster apart so you can cut the old film off and replace with the new film... You can't get to the film to cut it off unless you remove the lens , and you can't get to the lens without disassembling the cluster.. WW
Gotcha...so simply overlaying new film over the old isn't an option?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by WW7
The Polarizing film on my cluster is going bad.. I'm going to either do it myself,or send it in and have Batee the "instrument cluster guy" do it for me.. Have any of you replaced the film yourself, and if so, how hard was it to do? I really hate dealing with electronics but it's $100.00 for him to do the film install and $60.00 for the film... WW
Wayne, I can send you a whole working cluster and you can send me yours. I'll do the film for you and then we can swap back. I used to repair these clusters for guys over here and have 3 like new ones on the shelf. Hope you're keeping well.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 03-13-2019 at 09:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:04 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
Wayne, I can send you a whole working cluster and you can send me yours. I'll do the film for you and then we can swap back. I used to repair these clusters for guys over here and have 3 like new ones on the shelf. Hope you're keeping well.
Ray, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a long while..I'm doing just fine, hope your doing well. I ordered the kit from Batee today, one of the guys at the local Votech auto shop is going to help me with the film install. He has an 88 Vette and has done it on his cluster. I really appreciate your offer , really nice of you, but this guy should be able to help if I get stuck... Want to hear something strange? I wore that Corvette hat that you gave me at Carlisle a few year ago just yesterday, when I put it on I thought of you giving it to me for a few moments.. Now today I hear from you.. "Strange".. Take care my friend...Wayne W

Last edited by WW7; 03-13-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I didn't think it was hard to do, I was nervous that I'd botch something but it all went together well after using Batee's video.
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Keith Huffstutler
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found it pretty easy to do, as well. Toughest part was getting the steering column bolted back in, as I detached it to remove the dash and it is quite heavy. Just take your time, use gloves and make sure the screen is clean before you lay down the film. Also, make sure you are square with the display, as if you are too far "twisted", it will degrade the LCD interference effect.
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

This should be of assistance

WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:07 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by WW7
Ray, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a long while..I'm doing just fine, hope your doing well. I ordered the kit from Batee today, one of the guys at the local Votech auto shop is going to help me with the film install. He has an 88 Vette and has done it on his cluster. I really appreciate your offer , really nice of you, but this guy should be able to help if I get stuck... Want to hear something strange? I wore that Corvette hat that you gave me at Carlisle a few year ago just yesterday, when I put it on I thought of you giving it to me for a few moments.. Now today I hear from you.. "Strange".. Take care my friend...Wayne W
Wayne, It’s funny how things like that happen. I’m still on the right side of the dirt, so I guess that’s something to be thankfull for. If things go tango uniform with the cluster, my offer stands. These clusters are like new and just gathering dust.
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 02-11-2021, 11:55 AM
Keith Jemison
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
Wayne, It’s funny how things like that happen. I’m still on the right side of the dirt, so I guess that’s something to be thankfull for. If things go tango uniform with the cluster, my offer stands. These clusters are like new and just gathering dust.
Hello Good Sir, I have an 89 Coupe and i am in need of a working dash cluster. Are you selling any and if so how much for me to buy one from you . Thank you
Old 02-11-2021, 12:07 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

My problem is two fold, I tried to do it, twice, I do not have a super clean room and no matter how hard I tried to clean and ventilate, I kept getting at least one grain of dust under the cover ( I am a perfectionist to my Corvettes) , I also don't have steady hands. I ended up sending to Batee which I should have done in the first place. Also let him calibrate your tach, they get off by a lot over the years! JMHO

Last edited by corvette95; 02-11-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:56 PM
vyper202
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PaZaicC4
I did mine last summer and it was fairly easy. Follow his video and take your time.
This! 100% agree... took me about an hour after I had the cluster out...
Old 02-12-2021, 10:15 AM
jrobin1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

I just installed my repaired cluster yesterday. My biggest problem was soldering in the new connector(not necessary, but recommended by Batee if you remove the cluster for film replacement). I had to remove and re-solder some joints. However, the new screen looks great!! Ditto on getting the film square with the glass. Also, be careful that you mark and get the odometer line in the correct alignment.
I would add that the videos are very detailed and easy to follow. Also, Bryan responded promptly to several questions that I emailed to him during the process. Customer support is great.

Last edited by jrobin1; 02-12-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing polarizing film on dash cluster?

Quick Reply: Replacing polarizing film on dash cluster?