Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing polarizing film on dash cluster?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 AM
WW7
CF Senior Member

Default Replacing polarizing film on dash cluster?

The Polarizing film on my cluster is going bad.. I'm going to either do it myself,or send it in and have Batee the "instrument cluster guy" do it for me.. Have any of you replaced the film yourself, and if so, how hard was it to do? I really hate dealing with electronics but it's $100.00 for him to do the film install and $60.00 for the film... WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-12-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 AM
PaZaicC4

I did mine last summer and it was fairly easy. Follow his video and take your time.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaZaicC4 For This Useful Post:
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:14 AM
t5258

I have a question regarding the film, I've watched the various videos Batee has on the subject & while I feel comfortable disassembling the cluster, is there any reason the film can't be applied to the outside face of the gauges? I hope I didn't miss something basic that makes this a real stoopit question, but just was looking for a technical reason why the film wouldn't work if affixed to the outer face of the cluster...
Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 AM
WW7
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by t5258 View Post
I have a question regarding the film, I've watched the various videos Batee has on the subject & while I feel comfortable disassembling the cluster, is there any reason the film can't be applied to the outside face of the gauges? I hope I didn't miss something basic that makes this a real stoopit question, but just was looking for a technical reason why the film wouldn't work if affixed to the outer face of the cluster...
The film does get installed to the front of the glass lens, but you have to take the cluster apart so you can cut the old film off and replace with the new film... You can't get to the film to cut it off unless you remove the lens , and you can't get to the lens without disassembling the cluster.. WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 AM
t5258

Originally Posted by WW7 View Post
The film does get installed to the front of the glass lens, but you have to take the cluster apart so you can cut the old film off and replace with the new film... You can't get to the film to cut it off unless you remove the lens , and you can't get to the lens without disassembling the cluster.. WW
Gotcha...so simply overlaying new film over the old isn't an option?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The Polarizing film on my cluster is going bad.. I'm going to either do it myself,or send it in and have Batee the "instrument cluster guy" do it for me.. Have any of you replaced the film yourself, and if so, how hard was it to do? I really hate dealing with electronics but it's $100.00 for him to do the film install and $60.00 for the film... WW
Wayne, I can send you a whole working cluster and you can send me yours. I'll do the film for you and then we can swap back. I used to repair these clusters for guys over here and have 3 like new ones on the shelf. Hope you're keeping well.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 03-13-2019 at 09:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Quayle For This Useful Post:
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:04 PM
WW7
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle View Post
Wayne, I can send you a whole working cluster and you can send me yours. I'll do the film for you and then we can swap back. I used to repair these clusters for guys over here and have 3 like new ones on the shelf. Hope you're keeping well.
Ray, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a long while..I'm doing just fine, hope your doing well. I ordered the kit from Batee today, one of the guys at the local Votech auto shop is going to help me with the film install. He has an 88 Vette and has done it on his cluster. I really appreciate your offer , really nice of you, but this guy should be able to help if I get stuck... Want to hear something strange? I wore that Corvette hat that you gave me at Carlisle a few year ago just yesterday, when I put it on I thought of you giving it to me for a few moments.. Now today I hear from you.. "Strange".. Take care my friend...Wayne W

Last edited by WW7; 03-13-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

I didn't think it was hard to do, I was nervous that I'd botch something but it all went together well after using Batee's video.
The Following User Says Thank You to vader86 For This Useful Post:
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Keith Huffstutler

I found it pretty easy to do, as well. Toughest part was getting the steering column bolted back in, as I detached it to remove the dash and it is quite heavy. Just take your time, use gloves and make sure the screen is clean before you lay down the film. Also, make sure you are square with the display, as if you are too far "twisted", it will degrade the LCD interference effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Huffstutler For This Useful Post:
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM
gpierce
CF Senior Member

This should be of assistance

The Following User Says Thank You to gpierce For This Useful Post:
WW7 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:07 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Ray, how are you? Haven't heard from you in a long while..I'm doing just fine, hope your doing well. I ordered the kit from Batee today, one of the guys at the local Votech auto shop is going to help me with the film install. He has an 88 Vette and has done it on his cluster. I really appreciate your offer , really nice of you, but this guy should be able to help if I get stuck... Want to hear something strange? I wore that Corvette hat that you gave me at Carlisle a few year ago just yesterday, when I put it on I thought of you giving it to me for a few moments.. Now today I hear from you.. "Strange".. Take care my friend...Wayne W
Wayne, Itís funny how things like that happen. Iím still on the right side of the dirt, so I guess thatís something to be thankfull for. If things go tango uniform with the cluster, my offer stands. These clusters are like new and just gathering dust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Quayle For This Useful Post:
WW7 (03-14-2019)

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: