C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Reprogramming computers from other cars for 94/95 C4s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts
Default Reprogramming computers from other cars for 94/95 C4s

I feel like I shouldn't have to ask this, but I want to be sure of something. I realize that in terms of hardware, any PCM from any 94/95 LT1-equipped GM car is the same as what came in a 94/95 Corvette (except for the knock sensor module, maybe). In order to use a PCM from some other model car, I realize it has to be reflashed with the calibration file from the correct Corvette. That's easy enough to accomplish with Tunercat, which I have: just copy the calibration from the old PCM and flash it to the replacement PCM.

My question: is that all there is to it? If a 1995 Corvette needs a replacement PCM, can I just take any LT1 PCM from, say, a Z28 or Roadmaster, and flash the Corvette's calibration file to it and go? Specifically, I'm wondering how the computer knows the car's correct VIN, and if there is some other programming that has to be done to correct that? Or does the VIN info reside in the CCM?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

VIN is programmed in the oem. When the PCM program in downloaded into pc. Program will detect VIN and open files with options whether it's revised programming different equipment axle ratios. PCM itself will interchange in the different bodies. It will need to be flashed to what it's going it. B&D bodies are programmed for A4 and it's LT1. F body will be close to Corvette but I expect there's more power in the corvette programming. The B body.PCM can be reprogrammed for a f or y body

Last edited by Kevova; 03-20-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:04 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
VIN is programmed in the oem. When the PCM program in downloaded into pc. Program will detect VIN and open files with options whether it's revised programming different equipment axle ratios. PCM itself will interchange in the different bodies. It will need to be flashed to what it's going it. B&D bodies are programmed for A4 and it's LT1. F body will be close to Corvette but I expect there's more power in the corvette programming. The B body.PCM can be reprogrammed for a f or y body
The PCMs from Y (Corvette), B, and F-body cars in 94/95 all use the $EE definition file. So if I get a PCM from an F-body, you're saying the calibrations are close enough that it will run pretty well without even reflashing the Y-body calibrations to it (assume they are both LT1/auto cars)?

Also, suppose I get a PCM from an F-body, and I reflash it with the calibrations from a 95 Corvette. When I install the F-body PCM into the Corvette and read it with Tunercat, you're saying it will still show the VIN from the F-body, right? Does that cause any problems?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The PCM programming can be over wrote. Like everything it's not supported due to age. If you know someone at an older GM dealer , they maybe able to reflash PCM. If they still have the equipment. Tech1 or 2 and pc loaded with the proper programming application. When Vorshlag (Danger Zone C4) was in a similar situation updated fuel system to SFI. He needed b body PCM flashed to Corvette. You could contact them for possible sources.

Get notified of new replies

To Reprogramming computers from other cars for 94/95 C4s

Quick Reply: Reprogramming computers from other cars for 94/95 C4s