C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LCD readings gone crazy!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:32 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default LCD readings gone crazy!!

That’s what’s showing in my 1991 Auto L98 LCD screen: (hope the video is clear) a photo is attached also

All the reading are jumping!
How to fix it!!!
appreciate the feedback
TIA
Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Anyone?
really need the feedback to fix this issue
appreciated.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Common problem on C4's .. check the grounds and plugs in for the dash.

My 85 goes nuts over bumps, I have fixed the ground numerous times... and cleaned the plug every other season....
Old 03-22-2019, 01:50 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

My 85 will do this if the battery goes low.

Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it fixes the problem.

Maybe it will work for you also?

Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

mine does it going over bumps then returns. definitely a bad ground or loose connection. Also, my tach reads high by 500-700 rpms and my oil temp doesn't work even though it shows in datamaster

these clusters are getting old...even the non digi-dash ones are getting to the point they need a rebuild

there are places out there that offer it...i'll do mine someday
Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

I pulled the cluster out and restored it, replaced the LCD connector, polarized films and cleaning ...etc. when I put it back this is what I get. Percent display and No fading but as you see no proper reading...
if it’s the grounds how do I access it? Or what casing this?
TIA
Old 05-07-2019, 12:35 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

This is the same cluster that had the wires and also an unknown after-market box added? Correct!!!
Are you actually in Dubai?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:56 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
This is the same cluster that had the wires and also an unknown after-market box added? Correct!!!
Are you actually in Dubai?
Yep that’s the same car with the previous photos.. and yes I’m in Dubai
Old 05-07-2019, 01:31 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

I sent my 85 dash out, it looks much better and functions corectly
Old 05-07-2019, 02:21 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEROVETTE7

I pulled the cluster out and restored it, replaced the LCD connector, polarized films and cleaning ...etc. when I put it back this is what I get. Percent display and No fading but as you see no proper reading...
if it’s the grounds how do I access it? Or what casing this?
TIA

You should not be going 88 while trying to take that picture. It is very unsafe.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:45 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Dubai is a Beautiful city in the United Arab Emirates. I have been there several times, usually by car from Abu Dhabi... It must be starting to get warm there by now, eh? I loved working in the U.A.E. and spent a lot of time there working out in the desert trying to keep their Cell Towers Powered using solar Photo-voltaic panels.

I have not seen his name mentioned but the one person you really need to speak with is BATEE.COM. Bryan runs the business and his knowledge has returned many a Digital dashboard to like new performance in a short time and for a very reasonable price. If you live in Dubai you might do better to order the parts and do it yourself. It only requires a knowledge of soldering and de-soldering and it is very easy to do, I am an Engineer but it doesn't require much to do the repairs with the parts from BATEE.com. I upgraded the bulbs in my dashboard while working on it and now there will be less heat in the dashboard (I hope).

A lot of the C4's came with the electronic Air Conditioning controller (C68) and that needed more actual work than my dashboard did. There was one connector that had actually warped between the two mounting bolts and the warp was rather severe as it broke connections to about half the wires going through causing my C68 to function erratically. Again, Batee.com is the place if you want a working C68 again as he will do it for you or send you the parts. Bryan is an important man in the C4 World as he helps us take care of our cool Corvettes!

There are several grounds that are problematic, there are also many components in the electronics that have lasted longer than predicted. Some of the electrolytic capacitors were designed to last 15 years and my C4 is 31 years old. It is a very worthwhile investment in your Corvette to keep that dashboard working like new, I still prefer it over the auto meter gauge set sold by some company as an option instead of rebuilding the digital dashboard.

Good Luck and Best regards,
Chris
Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by CorvetteRules
You should not be going 88 while trying to take that picture. It is very unsafe.
The road was open..
Old 05-07-2019, 03:23 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
Dubai is a Beautiful city in the United Arab Emirates. I have been there several times, usually by car from Abu Dhabi... It must be starting to get warm there by now, eh? I loved working in the U.A.E. and spent a lot of time there working out in the desert trying to keep their Cell Towers Powered using solar Photo-voltaic panels.

I have not seen his name mentioned but the one person you really need to speak with is BATEE.COM. Bryan runs the business and his knowledge has returned many a Digital dashboard to like new performance in a short time and for a very reasonable price. If you live in Dubai you might do better to order the parts and do it yourself. It only requires a knowledge of soldering and de-soldering and it is very easy to do, I am an Engineer but it doesn't require much to do the repairs with the parts from BATEE.com. I upgraded the bulbs in my dashboard while working on it and now there will be less heat in the dashboard (I hope).

A lot of the C4's came with the electronic Air Conditioning controller (C68) and that needed more actual work than my dashboard did. There was one connector that had actually warped between the two mounting bolts and the warp was rather severe as it broke connections to about half the wires going through causing my C68 to function erratically. Again, Batee.com is the place if you want a working C68 again as he will do it for you or send you the parts. Bryan is an important man in the C4 World as he helps us take care of our cool Corvettes!

There are several grounds that are problematic, there are also many components in the electronics that have lasted longer than predicted. Some of the electrolytic capacitors were designed to last 15 years and my C4 is 31 years old. It is a very worthwhile investment in your Corvette to keep that dashboard working like new, I still prefer it over the auto meter gauge set sold by some company as an option instead of rebuilding the digital dashboard.

Good Luck and Best regards,
Chris
Yep it is a beautiful city.. and it is getting warm now. Actually I did contact Bryan @ Batee and I purchased the parts from him. Did the LCD connector, polarized film, tach ic (still not working!! )
and when I put it back in as you see in the photo... don’t know if the soldering as I didn’t do any for long long time and my hands were shaky!
Some say it’s the grounds so I’m hoping that’s the problem now cause it is impossible to find a replacement for the cluster and very difficult and expensive to ship it to Batee from here (Dubai)
so any tip or ideas will help...
TIA
Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Well if Batee.com has been tried then you might want to buy a second dashboard and keep it handy. I plan on buying another one just to have a spare. With experience with BATEE.com you should ask him his thoughts on why it is doing the stuff it is doing for you, you are a paying customer after all.

The soldering on the boards was not too hard but it would be important not to get any cold solder joints on the board. Have you asked Bryan at Batee.com what you should do next? He is a very pleasant guy to speak with and his wealth of knowledge is amazing regarding our dashboards. I will keep my eyes open and if I see any great deals on used functional dashboards. DHL is not the cheapest but they do get things back and forth quickly as I used them many times while in Abu Dhabi. You could have Bryan go through your dash and solve your problems once and for all.

The other option is a set of gauges that are analog mounted in a plate that fits into your dashboard and plugs directly into the wiring. Have you considered that option? They have complete analog dashboards for the C4 for $600 if that suits you. I personally want to keep my dash functional as well as the C68 A/C controller as well. That dash is wacky but it is a neat part of the whole package of the C4 Corvette!

Good Luck over there and stay cool! What is the name of the big race that takes place every year in the Empty Quarter of Saudi Arabia and in the U.A.E., it is an off road race and I have never noticed any American entry's.

Did you buy your Corvette over there or did you have it imported for you? The reason I ask is there are things they do to the cars being shipped overseas, they have different color turn signals used in Europe and I am sure there is a list of things they did differently. If you had it imported then it might be a domestic use car that is in the U.A.E.. Is it hard to get service over there on it? I would imagine it could be a lot of fun to have a Corvette over there. My fellow workers were shocked that I had a two seat car with a 7 liter engine in it.... I have a 1968 C3 with a built 427 that scares the heck out of me every once in a while.

Best Regards,
Chris
Old 05-08-2019, 12:44 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
Well if Batee.com has been tried then you might want to buy a second dashboard and keep it handy. I plan on buying another one just to have a spare. With experience with BATEE.com you should ask him his thoughts on why it is doing the stuff it is doing for you, you are a paying customer after all.

I did send him email with photos and details and waiting for his reply. Ian looking for a second dashboard actually but no luck so far. And sending mine to Batee for servicing and return back is expensive.

The soldering on the boards was not too hard but it would be important not to get any cold solder joints on the board. Have you asked Bryan at Batee.com what you should do next? He is a very pleasant guy to speak with and his wealth of knowledge is amazing regarding our dashboards. I will keep my eyes open and if I see any great deals on used functional dashboards. DHL is not the cheapest but they do get things back and forth quickly as I used them many times while in Abu Dhabi. You could have Bryan go through your dash and solve your problems once and for all.

I’m doubting the soldering, but we’ll see...

The other option is a set of gauges that are analog mounted in a plate that fits into your dashboard and plugs directly into the wiring. Have you considered that option? They have complete analog dashboards for the C4 for $600 if that suits you. I personally want to keep my dash functional as well as the C68 A/C controller as well. That dash is wacky but it is a neat part of the whole package of the C4 Corvette!

i don’t like the analog dials... C4’s are best with their digital ones...

Good Luck over there and stay cool! What is the name of the big race that takes place every year in the Empty Quarter of Saudi Arabia and in the U.A.E., it is an off road race and I have never noticed any American entry's.

thanks and cool is needed now ..

Did you buy your Corvette over there or did you have it imported for you? The reason I ask is there are things they do to the cars being shipped overseas, they have different color turn signals used in Europe and I am sure there is a list of things they did differently. If you had it imported then it might be a domestic use car that is in the U.A.E.. Is it hard to get service over there on it? I would imagine it could be a lot of fun to have a Corvette over there. My fellow workers were shocked that I had a two seat car with a 7 liter engine in it.... I have a 1968 C3 with a built 427 that scares the heck out of me every once in a while.

i did buy the car from here but it was imported from Japan ... it has the colored turn signal.. I love the C4 I had a 94 before this one. ... like to work on them and takes them for a spin on the highways...

your 68 sounds awesome.. good luck with it. That’s one of my dream Vettes the 427! ... beside the 63 split window.

Best Regards,
Chris
Thanks

Last edited by ZEROVETTE7; 05-08-2019 at 12:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

There might be some good electronics repair people in Dubai, maybe they could check it out with help of Batee.com.

You are right about the "coolness factor" of the C4 and it's mysterious dashboard. I like it enough to keep it. Every once in a while I see a dashboard for sale in the C4 "Parts For Sale" section. I will keep watching and waiting.

My 1968 came out of a Barn in Irvington, Virginia back in 1991. I heard about it from my brother-in-law who was interested but did not have the cash, he bought a small boat instead. I bought the Corvette and have had it since 19-July-1991. C3's are fun and the parts are far more common than the C4's. My 427 was built by a race mechanic and I together. It is quite an engine as it makes over 500 hp and is very nice to drive. It was a tri-power car but now has one big custom four barrel carburetor and 12.25-1 compression ratio. With my compression this car is much more suited to living someplace cooler but I have a Snow Performance water/methanol injection system to keep my compression a bit cooler and the gasoline equivalent of 115 octane even using 87 octane to start with. This car should be able to break into the low 11's in the quarter mile the way she sits. I have the old four speed with a 3.36 rear ratio and that is my limiting factor according to Comp cams. 0-100 K.P.H. in less than 3 seconds with a four speed, yes this car is fun. I have the hard top for this car (it is an early 1968 which means it had to be a Convertible) as well but no roll bars as there is no way I would cut up my Corvette for as roll cage.

Have you ever heard of Carlisle PA? They have a HUGE Corvette show the third weekend of every August. You should come over and see it some time. You could score some great deals on parts that you need at incredible cheap prices. You might even find a nice C3 there, stick it and your parts into an ISO shipping container and send it home. I used to go EVERY year but have cut back in the past years. They have 85 acres at the fairground in Carlisle and during the Corvette@Carlisle event they use about 1/2 to 1/3 of the whole place. There are frequently 50,000 Corvette nuts there every year and there are a lot of cars for sale and zillions of parts. Carlisle PA is about 100 miles from Washington DC and a 2 to 2-1/2 hour ride to and from where I live in Fairfax, Virginia.

The biggest problem I have had with my C4 was the electrical system. My C4 had a lot of corrosion on the post that supplies the fusible links with battery power which led to voltage drops throughout the car. To check your look under the panel over the battery on the drivers side of the car. There is a red cable that goes from the battery directly to the post where it supplies power to at least 7 fusible links. You might want to check this post as it can have really strange effects on your car. I cleaned each terminal and the post and then covered it in grease. After that I had full voltage everywhere. The fusible links supply the voltage to the fuse panel, you can measure the battery voltage at the battery and then measure the voltage here and see if it is the same. If not you have some cleaning to do. Be sure to clean the battery terminals and connectors every year and do the maintenance on the battery. Battery maintenance where you live is critical. I designed passive cooling shelters for ETISALAT and installed solar power system using large battery banks and they told me that the batteries would only last 18-24 months in your environment. In your heat I would check the electrolyte more often and be sure it is always topped off with distilled water. In your environment I might consider insulating the battery from the outside heat.

I saw 54* C there one October, thank God for Air Conditioning. What about all the people who think that the desert area is all dry? They have not been to Dubai or Abu Dhabi in August, being on the gulf the humidity was always ridiculous and the heat made it almost unbearable. I was working out in the deserts without a GPS just using a compass and dead reckoning (they had not hit the market when I was there). I LOVED working there, the desert is really beautiful. My wife was always anxious for me to come home as I was buying all the gold I could afford at the time. The first time I went to the UAE was in 1989 and the last in 1993.

Best Regards,

Chris a.k.a. ctmccloskey

Get notified of new replies

To LCD readings gone crazy!!

Quick Reply: LCD readings gone crazy!!